Looking Forward To Coming Home....We Hope!

Guest surferjoe

Guest surferjoe

Hi All,

I am hoping that there might be someone out there that can help. My partner has spent 26 years of here life living on the Mornington Peninsula. She left there in 1995. She would love to go back to the place she calls home. We have gone through the process of getting all info on the best possible way to do this. Unfortunately, my partner cannot get back into Oz on a 'returning residents visa', as we are both over 45! (What a crazy age limit huh!!:swoon:). Anyway, the only way that she can get back is if I apply for a 457 temp visa via a sponsorship. (I am 48 & my partner 49). I have over 20 years experience in the Construction Industry and we have been told that this would be the most logical, and quickest way to get in.

We are using the services of a migration agent, (and there is soooooo much information needed!!!! It just goes on and on and on....and....!) O.K We are now getting to the point where I am activley seeking employment. This of course would ideally be in the SE area of Melbourne, ie; Mornington Peninsula. My partner knows this area like the back of her hand and still has many friends there, which she keeps in touch with, and they are keeping there ears to the ground in the hope of hearing about any jobs in the offing. I am subscribed to numorous recruitment agencies in the area too, as well as constantly sending my CV out to job applications via the Internet, (We currently live and work in SW France), but it is becoming very disapointing to get nothing back. I also scan job sites like; mycareer and careerone and linkme etc. We also seem to be getting conflicting reports about the construction job market there too. On one hand recruitment agencies are saying that there is very little work for locals at the moment, let alone for the poms. And then you read that there is still a real shortage of skilled construction workers in Victoria, and the DIAC are encouraging employers to use the 457 sponsor option to get the staff they is so desperatley needed for the construction industry, as they will 'Fast track all applications'.

What I would love to know, (and I'm hoping this thread might bare some fruit here:wink: ) is if there is anyone else living on the Peninsula, or close, that might know of any potential building company that would consider sponsoring a quality, experienced, hardwork professional builder, and would help bring my partner back home.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Nick & Wendy

• 4 weeks later...

I can't realy help you with your questions, but i just wanted to say hello.. me and my other half live in orthez SW France, and are hoping to move to australia next year.. around mornington to start with because we've got firends there.

I was just wondering with what agent you went with, because theres soooo many, and is it any good???

thank you for any help and good luck....

Guest surferjoe

Hi Liana,

We are using a company called *****************. They were formally called ****************.

They say that have an excellent reputation, for helping the over 45's get into Oz. It's been a long haul so far, and we are not finished with them yet. But so far, they have been very good, although a little on the pricey side we feel.

We are based in the Northern Dordogne by the way.

Where abouts on the Peninsula are your friends? My partner Wendy has friends all overthe peninsula, but mainly from Mornington itself and around Mount Martha. Her sister has a place at Red Hill.

Good luck and if you get to the Mornington Peninsula, maybe we could all meet up for a beer sometime!

Bon courage! as they say.

Nick.

Apologies for the censored words, its done automatically as the companies in question have demanded they are not named on the forum.

My advise , for what it's worth , would be , Take a long holiday out there , organise as many interviews as you can when your there , if you can afford and at least then prospective employers can see you face to face because - got to say - your age will be a big put off on any CV , but seeing someone in the flesh is different , you can access what kind of work you would be able to do - if you get my drift.

my firends are from mornington on the mornington peninsula, they moved there 6 years ago.. there realy like grand parents to me because there both over 70, and me and oh are only 29.

Do you both speak french?? i'm english and oh is french, it would be great for him to be able to talk to someone in french when we get there, so for that beer it would be great!!! (he does speak very good english)

keep in touch... bye...

Archived