The Excitement Is Getting Too Much!

emmaj

Well our dream of moving to Oz is finally coming true. We are very much, the lucky ones as we only started looking into the possibilities of this adventure in Aug 08 and now we are just weeks away from starting our new life down under.

For those that dont know, my husband was offered a three month secondment via his employer to perth in Oct of last year, i managed to get the time off from work and went with him. During our time in perth we completely fee in love with Oz, the lifestyle, the people, everything.

Four week prior to our departure, Hubs was offered a full time post in Perth, staying with his current employer, just transferring to the Australia part of the business. But due to the economic climate etc its taken until two weeks ago for the paperwork / contract to come through.

We have been lucky enough to be given a really good relocation package but we are on a very tight timescale. Hubs has work in the uk until the end of April and then we are Oz bound!

Lulu (kitty cat) has just one more lot of blood tests before she can travel, the results of which will be here in two weeks time. An agent has been instructed to work on our behalf and to get our visas sorted urgently and a shipping company will be in touch with us next week with regards to packing etc. We have also had two agents visit our home in view to renting our property out. Adverts will go in the local paper and their shop this week.

So its all go from now on, i expect the nest six weeks to be extremely stressful esp as we have some many other non oz related things happening i.e. im off work with a trapped nerv in my leg and im also due to have my wisdom teeth out in three weeks time.

But despite all this, we are so excited, we cant prise ourselves away from PIO or rental sites, we cant wait to start our new life down under.

So....i dont actually know what the purpose of this post was......maybe just share our excitement with those that will understand.

Hugs and extreme thanks

Emma

x

Guest NurseFlo

hope it all works out and you get everything sorted in time - sounds like you've got lots of help and support already which is fab. Good luck with your new adventure - hope the nerve pain and wisdom teeth are better/sorted soon. Having the wisdom teeth out isn't pleasant - I looked like a bunny (due to swelling) for about a week afterwards.....ouch! xx

Guest juliemtaylor

I can sympathise with the wisdom teeth, I had 8!! and taken out in Hospital... Good luck with the move, at least it is positive stress for a good reason.

Julie x

Guest Letasha

Wow sounds scary but really exciting - I wish it was me! Good luck with everything, I hope it all runs smoothly for you both which im sure it will! Remember to let us all know how its going out there. take care, safe journey. xxx

Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi Emma,

I totally understand your excitement, its an amazing feeling.

Good luck with all your plans and all the best for your future in OZ.

Take care.

Andi.xx

Thanks everyone! I cant stop searching the real estate rental sites lol im truely addicted!

We've opened our Oz bank account today and also instructed a rental agent here in the UK to start advertising our house. Two more jobs off the list, i just hope we get lots of interest re renting our house out. Fingers crossed.

Emma

x

Hi Emma,

It all sounds so familiar we were working right up until the off & moved house a month before.

It's so worth it - keep in touch!

Jules

WooHooo! We've just had a phone call from the solicitors in Australia that are sorting our visa out! Things are starting to move at last. He has said that we could have our 457 visa granted within four weeks so it looks like our approx move date of the end of April is do-able after all!

We just need the movers to contact us now as we really want to ship our furniture out a couple of weeks prior to us flying!

Sorry for the nothingy post.....im just excited!

Emma

x

Guest snow white

congratulations hon

i dont blame you being excited its a fantastic feeling to have your visa and know you havent long left

all the best

lesley x

Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi Emma,

If you don't mind me asking, what bank did you go with? and was it easy to set up from here?

Thanks in advance.

Take care.

Andi.xx

Hi Emma,

If you don't mind me asking, what bank did you go with? and was it easy to set up from here?

Thanks in advance.

Take care.

Andi.xx

Hi Andi,

We went with westpac purely because how easy it was to set up whilst still here in the uk. A friend also banks with them so they were sort of recommended too. Once we are in Oz, after we are settled if this account doesnt work for us, we will move.

This is the link.

Westpac Internet -Migrant Banking

Once you apply on line they email you straight away with some pretty useful info .....

To activate your bank account and transact on your account in Australia you will need to follow these two steps:

1) Activate your Westpac bank account

When you receive your bank account number in the post you can start banking with Westpac. To activate your account you need to transfer funds into your account via telegraphic transfer.

Before you arrive in Australia you can deposit funds into your Westpac bank account as often as you like. However, you will not be able to transfer or withdraw funds out of the account until you have provided us with proof of your identity at one of our branches.

2) When you arrive in Australia

On your arrival, you will need to provide us with proof of your identity, as required by Australian legislation. At the Westpac branch where your bank account was opened, our Migrant Banking staff are ready to assist you. If you visit them within 6 weeks of arriving in Australia, your passport is the only identification you need.

If you have been in Australia for more than the 6 weeks, you will need to comply with our standard identification requirements and provide identification documents worth "100 points". This means showing us your passport and additional identification.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to bank with Westpac.

We hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip to Australia. See you soon!

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Before I arrive in Australia, how do I transfer funds into my Westpac bank account?

Please provide your local bank or forex dealer with the following details:

Westpac's Swift Code - WPACAU2S (Australia does not use IBANs)

Your BSB number

Your account number

Your banks name - Westpac Banking Corporation Australia

2. How much does it cost to transfer funds into my account?

Please check with your local bank or forex dealer for their charges. Westpac will charge an AUD10.00 receiving fee.

3. How can I be sure my funds have arrived safely?

You can register your personal accounts for Telephone & Internet Banking by calling +612 9293 9270.

Once registered, you will be able to contact Telephone Banking or access Internet Banking to confirm your funds have arrived. Before you have provided identification at one of our branches, your access will be limited to 'View Only' and you will be unable to make any withdrawals (debit transactions) from your bank account.

4. My bank account has been opened at a branch that is not convenient for me to visit, can I complete the identification check at another Westpac branch?

It is always best to complete your identification check at the branch where your account is held as we have dedicated Migrant Banking staff ready to assist you.

If, however, you must visit another branch to complete your identification check, please ensure you take along your Welcome Letter.

5. Can I apply for a credit card?

If you can prove you'll be earning $15,000 or more per year in Australia or you have a balance greater than $300,000 in a Westpac bank account, you may be eligible to apply for a credit card* prior to your arrival. Proof of income could be an offer of employment in Australia or current bank statements showing interest income. We'll need copies of your passport & visa to assess your application. For more information on the eligibility criteria and Westpac credit cards on offer, visit the Westpac website at Westpac Internet -Personal Banking Homepage, click on 'International' under the Main Menu, then select 'Moving to Australia. Information on Westpac credit cards and an application form can be found under 'Arrange your banking before leaving home'.

6. Can I apply for a home loan?

If you would like information on home loans* or the eligibility for pre-approval before you arrive in Australia, please visit the Westpac website at Westpac Internet -Personal Banking Homepage, click on 'International' under the Main Menu, then select 'Moving to Australia. Information about Westpac home loans and an application form for pre-approval can be found under 'Arrange your banking before leaving home'.

7. Can I open a foreign currency account?

If you have a minimum balance of AUD 50, 000 or equivalent and would like to open a foreign currency account in order to keep some funds in a foreign currency please visit the Westpac website at Westpac Internet -Personal Banking Homepage, click on 'International' under the Main Menu, then select 'Moving to Australia. Information about the foreign currency account and an application form can be found under 'Arrange your banking before leaving home'.

HTH and good luck!

Emma

Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi Emma,

Thank you for this information, it was very kind of you, and as far as I can remember this is the bank that Moving Planet recommends also.

Good luck in everything you do, sounds like we are going through all the same things at the moment.

Take care.

Andi.xx

Guest NurseFlo

Emma, ta for your post. I was also thinking of using westpac as their site was very user friendly and their costs seemed much more reasonable (about $5 month I think), and yes I liked the idea of getting everything set up whilst in the UK. I know HSBC want 100 gbp to do the same service - pfffftttttt!

Well im still extremely excited but my stress levels are increasing by the day!

Our plan was to ship Lulu (kitty) and our furniture out 3 weeks prior to ourselves, obviously not together that would just be cruel :) However we have now been told by Hubs employer (HR) that they wont instruct the movers to contact us until our visa is approved which will take approx 4 weeks (min) but we wanted to fly out by the end of April and the people hubs is been subcontracted to want him there then too! Also we have just found out that Lulu needs more injections in three weeks times:arghh:

So it looks as though Lulu and all our worldly goods will leave the uk the same as us :sad: I suppose it will make finding a furnished rental easier not having Lulu although that is the job of Hubs employer not ourselves so no stress there for us. It will however also mean we are without our furniture for longer which is what we were trying to avoid. (we move out of our furnished rental after four weeks into what ever we can find lol which will have to be unfurnished)

So as it stands we cant book anything, not petair, not byford, nothing. Everything is in limbo until our visa is sorted.

Its such a shame as the company want Hubs there urgently and we are prepared to go as fast as we can but silly red tape (shippers and HR mainly) are holding it all back.

Sorry to moan

Emma

x

Hi Emma

Can totally understand your excitement, I feel the same. I sometimes feel as if everything is taking forever so to cure my my need to be in Perth I look at this website and it makes me feel better.

Hope you enjoy!

Emma

:laugh:

Coastalwatch :: surfcams :: Cottesloe

Fantastic website thank you!!! Ive just woke Hubs up shouting 'Come and look at this!!!!' We love Cottesloe, we spent Christmas Eve & Day there last year, we have some wonderful sunset pictures from there...i must upload them and share.

Thanks again,

Emma

x

Hi Emma

your situation is very similar to ours, my husband has been offered a position at a Melbourne Uni. We went over for a recce in October, loved it and were told at that time they wanted us there asap. Then funding and politics at uni kicked in so we waited and waited almost to the point of quitting with still no nomination.

eventually 2 weeks ago we got our trn and lodged visa online on the 24/3/09. We are going for medicals on monday 30th march, the employer are sorting out the removal and they have appointed Crown to come and give a quote poss next week. The employer has been very efficient and responsive to emails, we have a case officer at immi.gov.au who was helpful as well.

I am now starting to panic my hubby thinks they will need him beg May so we have an awful lot of things to sort out in short space of time.

Dog his going for his medicals! his new name is 3k due to amount to ship him out but we can't leave him, hes too much a part of the family.

We will also be renting the house out so that is another worry.

I know we are lucky in being able to get out there so quick and I have been watching the timeline of some people on here who wait years, but everything at the moment seems so rushed and I would love a full nights sleep instead of laying awake making lists in my head.

Anyway good luck and I'll keep you informed

Denise

457 lodged 24th March

meds 30th March

hope to go beginning of May

selling off most of our stuff so that our household will fit into a 20 ft container

Archived