Rockhampton or Townsville ?

Guest lilly mist

Guest lilly mist

We are going nuts trying to deside where to go...

We think it will be queensland but now thats a very big place!!!:arghh:

The two main places im trying hard to find out about are Rockhampton and Townsville...

We are my self my hubby [carpenter] and our two children aged 10 and 5 and also one very chilled out dalmatian who loves to bake in the sun when ever we get any!!

Any advice from people living in these areas and also if anyone can give me some info on cost of living that would be great..

It's all very well researching on the net but it doesnt give you a true understanding of everyday life !

Lots of nice pictures and places to see but thats not enough to base a whole life around!!

Thx for you time guys and girls...

:notworthy:

G'day mate, why not Mackay, half way between the two...

Rocky and T'ville are both hotter generally, not as scenic in the hinterland and are based on, cattle or armed forces.

However, having stayed at both places, IMHO, T'ville is 100% on Rocky.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluejohn
We are going nuts trying to deside where to go...

We think it will be queensland but now thats a very big place!!!:arghh:

The two main places im trying hard to find out about are Rockhampton and Townsville...

We are my self my hubby [carpenter] and our two children aged 10 and 5 and also one very chilled out dalmatian who loves to bake in the sun when ever we get any!!

Any advice from people living in these areas and also if anyone can give me some info on cost of living that would be great..

It's all very well researching on the net but it doesnt give you a true understanding of everyday life !

Lots of nice pictures and places to see but thats not enough to base a whole life around!!

Hi, I used to live in Rockhampton and Mackay. To be honest I preferred Rocky to Mackay because I like the way the city is set out compared to Mackay . Rockhampton is a very hot place, a pretty city, and Mackay as beautiful beaches and probably more modern to live in. I was there for nearly12 years (Rockhampton) I wouldn't recommend it. Although Yeppoon isn't to far from Rockhampton (about 45mins drive). Perhaps that could be an option? It is a really nice place and the Capricornia coast is beautiful. Rockhampton as more choices of schools and many private ones. Public transport virtually non existent. I found Rocky and Mackay rough and many may disagree,this is of course just my opinion . Townsville I have only visited, it is hotter than Mackay but I liked better. I have family still in Rocky who can't wait to leave. I think you have to be born to a place like that.

These towns too have an Aboriginal population and that also may bother or cause problems for some people. I have friends that like Mackay better, they feel it as more to offer than Rockhampton. I suppose it depends what you are looking for. I left 2 years ago to return to NSW Illawarra district and no way would I move back unless I had too.

The Morning Bulletin(Rockhampton) Mackay Mercury they have some on line excess so perhaps having a look at those may help.:smile:

Guest lilly mist

Thx.. we have desided on Townsville now anyways. We have been in contact with people living in Townsville and so are going to give it a go !!

Thankyou for your input :)

Guest lilly mist
Hi Lilly, Glad you've made the decision, Jackie.

Yes well it's took us long enough im just glad to have a desternation at last..lol

Good luck with your move and maybe when we get out we can meet up..[if we ever make it ..lol]

All seems so far away , but im sure it will come soon enough.

All the best Jackie.. Keep in touch :wubclub:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SuprF1y

Hey guys,

As a born and bred aussie who's lived in Cairns, Rockhampton and seen plenty of Townsville I REALLY STRONGLY recommend Cairns.

Rockhampton has very little going for it.

Townsville is better but whilst larger is less scenic and culturally diverse than Cairns. Cairns is a staple on the backpacker trail and lends a much needed cosmopolitan influence to NQ. In addition the scenery in cairns is nicer with acccess to the Atherton tablelands and places like Crystal cascades. Google them and decide for yourself.

People in Australia who talk about chucking it in and going north always talk about going to Cairns and there's good reason.

It is maybe marginally hotter/more humid than Townsville but your gonna freak out at the heat anyway. In cairns at least you can go and jump in one of the local creeks esp if you live out north side - Stratford, Redlinch and further.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

W

Guest lilly mist

Thx but we have made up our minds to go Townsville.. we have looked up cairns and dont feel it is for us..too many backpackers..lol

Thx for all the info guys :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I think you have made the right choice, Townsville is not the prettiest of citys but you only have to drive 30 mins and you're right in the rainforests, its easy access to alot of places. Townsville itself has everything to offer your children, indoor and out. We have been here 3 months and its really growing on us now the rainy season is finally over.

Guest proud2beaussie

I have spent a lot of time in both places but would probably recommend Townsville over Rocky ,don't know why,both places are great,I just like Townsville a bit more.

Just my opinion though.no disrespect to Rockhamptn.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest laura_flower

I have been living in Townsville for almost a year now and I love it! Come to Townsville!!

Guest lilly mist
I have been living in Townsville for almost a year now and I love it! Come to Townsville!!

Would you mind if i contacted you for some info on townsville..

Thx for all the replies..

:hug:

Guest Jackie Roberts

Hi Laura, Lovely to hear that you have settled well in Townsville. Will be emigrating there in just over four weeks.Really hoping that we have the same outcome in a years time Jackie xx.

Guest laura_flower

Hi - Yip of course contact me for anything about Townsville! Look forward to hearing from you.

I went to Rockhampton a few years ago for a quick break - it was hot as all hell, no wind or breeze and the streets were deserted during the day - granted it was a Saturday - at night went to a restaurant which turned into a nightclub after diners finished eating - I had the distinct impression that it was quite rough - would have preferred not to mention the aboriginals - but I got talking to a few who sat at our table and noticed they were taking quite an interest in my handbag so held it tight all night - the streets are quite pretty, queenslander type houses etc. Didn't get to explore too much - but as a POM who has lived in Oz for 13 years (and returning to UK later this year) I have a pretty good idea of places that I could live in and have been to quite a few places in Oz over the years - I would recommend Sutherlandshire in Sydney if you need to work and don't mind an hours commute into Sydney if you can't get a local job - and the beaches and national park are great, plus it doesn't get as hot as Queensland - you would definitely stand more chance of getting a job than the places you're looking at - and believe me - although 'hot weather' might appeal at this point in your adventure - I can assure you that you WILL regret moving there - how does sitting inside the house with curtains/blinds drawn and air conditioner blaring out watching TV all day and not being able to sleep at night so feel terrible next day - several months of this is actually quite unhealthy - just look at all the overweight people there are over here - and its also not very good for the brain - my partners mum has just had ANOTHER skin cancer removed from her nose - she was brought up in Brisbane and used to ride her pushbike into the Western Sun on way back from school she told me!!!! Apart from that Queensland has some really beautiful spots - its just too hot to actually enjoy a lot of these place for most of the year unless you view from an air conditioned car - put your oven on low for half an hour - open the door and sit in front of the oven and see how long you can stand it!!!! i'm serious!!!

Guest lilly mist
I went to Rockhampton a few years ago for a quick break - it was hot as all hell, no wind or breeze and the streets were deserted during the day - granted it was a Saturday - at night went to a restaurant which turned into a nightclub after diners finished eating - I had the distinct impression that it was quite rough - would have preferred not to mention the aboriginals - but I got talking to a few who sat at our table and noticed they were taking quite an interest in my handbag so held it tight all night - the streets are quite pretty, queenslander type houses etc. Didn't get to explore too much - but as a POM who has lived in Oz for 13 years (and returning to UK later this year) I have a pretty good idea of places that I could live in and have been to quite a few places in Oz over the years - I would recommend Sutherlandshire in Sydney if you need to work and don't mind an hours commute into Sydney if you can't get a local job - and the beaches and national park are great, plus it doesn't get as hot as Queensland - you would definitely stand more chance of getting a job than the places you're looking at - and believe me - although 'hot weather' might appeal at this point in your adventure - I can assure you that you WILL regret moving there - how does sitting inside the house with curtains/blinds drawn and air conditioner blaring out watching TV all day and not being able to sleep at night so feel terrible next day - several months of this is actually quite unhealthy - just look at all the overweight people there are over here - and its also not very good for the brain - my partners mum has just had ANOTHER skin cancer removed from her nose - she was brought up in Brisbane and used to ride her pushbike into the Western Sun on way back from school she told me!!!! Apart from that Queensland has some really beautiful spots - its just too hot to actually enjoy a lot of these place for most of the year unless you view from an air conditioned car - put your oven on low for half an hour - open the door and sit in front of the oven and see how long you can stand it!!!! i'm serious!!!

I understand what you are saying but on the other hand not everyone is the same .. i know people who live north who love it so i guess it's about personal choice and how much you can cope with..some people love the hotter the better while others can not get along with it..only one way to find out!! thx for your comments though..:wink:

I have always been drawn to hot hot contry though my life..i guess this come from having parents who liked to travel when i was young and took us to some realy hot places while growing up.. if we find we cannot cope then well oz is a big place and plenty of other places to explore:hug:

Thx all for your comments..but Townsville is the place we are headed all being well !!

Archived