Ban St Georges Day?

kernow43

BNP Lays Charges over Labour Party Banning of St. Georges Day Parade A British National Party councillor on Sandwell council in the West Midlands has laid a formal complaint with police over the attempt by that council to ban the annual St. Georges Day parade in that town. BNP dynamo and ever-hardworking Councillor Russ Green has instigated a formal complaint to the Standards Board over the matter, and has lodged a formal complaint at the West Bromwich police station under section 18 of the Public Order Act 1986.

Englands biggest apolitical St Georges Day parade has been declared racist by the Labour controlled council in whose area it takes place, and they have withdrawn funding in the hope that organisers will be unable to proceed with the event. Previously, crowds of up to 15,000 have assembled in the town of West Bromwich under the slogan Forever England, For Everyone and then paraded through the Black Country town waving St George flags and marching to rousing anthems such as Jerusalem. The local council, Labour-controlled Sandwell, has voted to withdraw its support for the parade. Funds will go to support a Party in the Park instead. It leaves parade organisers with what they say is the impossible task of raising £10,000 to cover their costs with only a few weeks to go. In a letter to the organisers, one councillor, Yvonne Davies, said the parade created an unhealthy atmosphere and inspired young boys to be racist. She wrote: It is not only the parade which is the problem, but the tribal excitement it creates. Councillor Green has argued that the decision by the council to refuse funding for the parade is likely to increase racial discrimination against the English as a racial and national group. It will increase racial tensions and damage race relations as members of the English community will feel that they are victims of institutional racism by the council against the English, he said. This will increase racial tensions in the area, polarise the communities and lead to increased racial tensions as the English will feel that they are being victimised. The West Bromwich St Georges Day parade started in 1998 and began as a fairly modest affair with 5,000 turning up. Now three times that number attend the two mile parade in April. Fire Service and Scout Association bands have played, the British Legion lends its support and each year ex-servicemen attend. A volunteer dresses up as St George and rides with the marchers; children paint their faces with the St George Cross and there are activities such as medieval jousting. Trevor Collins of the Stone Cross Saint George Association, which organises the parade, said:

To suggest the parade is racist is ridiculous and offensive. When you see the kids, the dogs, everyone out having fun, its really a beautiful sight. The councils decision means we have to foot the bills for insurance and security. Weve got to come up with £10,000 in two months which seems impossible. Another organiser, Mark Cowles, said the parades had raised £7,000 for charity. He added that, as well as losing out on council support, they had probably missed the deadline for applying for road closures.

February 16 2009

Guest DadAgain
We all celebrate st Patricks day so why not St Georges day.......Hmmmm

Speak for yourself - I dont celebrate St Patricks day.. Why would I? I'm not Irish!

St Georges day however - thats a BIG deal to me and is celebrated without fail every year! Its my Birthday! :wink:

Guest KP Nuts

So its OK to have the Notting hill carnival thing with all the muggings an stabbings an theives an rowdy drunks, with the noise that goes well into the night, along with all the police presence that the tax payer foots the bill for aswell as the massive clean up operation, that probably costs 100's of thousands of ££££££££££££££££££

But you cant have a little parade costing 10k that stands for the Saint of England.

PATHETIC........

Mr KP Nut . 363p.gif

Guest KP Nuts
Speak for yourself - I dont celebrate St Patricks day.. Why would I? I'm not Irish!

St Georges day however - thats a BIG deal to me and is celebrated without fail every year! Its my Birthday!

I'm not Irish either but it's my Dadsb'day so i use it as an excuse to remember him.

Mr KP Nut. 363p.gif

Guest littlesarah

It does seem rather daft, although it may of course not be the whole story. You have to remember that the story orginates from a local politician - who of course has an axe to grind. My guess is that this councillor's political party is in the minority (in an ethnically diverse area, with, I'd bet mostly labour councillors), so anything that can be used to promote their cause will be.

It may be that the decision was taken for a number of reasons, but these won't necessarily be reported.

I'm not defending this decision, as I am proud of my English heritage (hence my learning English folk tunes on my fiddle).

However the NHS department for which I work has recently been the subject of two negative local media reports, at least one of which is completely inaccurate & based on misrepresentations of fact by a local councillor (whose 'patch' falls outside of the area we cover anyway). This has served as a reminder to me that journalists are not impartial, in the sense that they have to make all news, however mundane, appear interesting. This also includes trying to provoke a reaction from the public (to keep the letters page varied and interesting).

I think also that perhaps this is a sad side-effect of the misuse of British & English flags and regalia (certainly in the past, if not the present) by those who incite racist behaviours and intolerance. Some of the people who live in the West Brom area would be old enough to remember the upsurge in racist behaviours in the early 80s. At times of economic stress there are those who turn to blaming race and 'immigrants' for their own financial misfortune (as in the race riots of the early 80s).

I'd be interested to know the police service's response?!

Love & peace to all

Sarah

Guest wiccanwitch

Ban St Georges Day? OMG what ever next:swoon:

mind saying that we really do need to celabrate it first it is very low key not like saint patricks day

i was born in england there for i am english

but i have the best of both worlds couse my mum and dad are irish i do both lol:laugh:

Guest earlswood

They might ban Australia day next if the disgraceful homophobic riots against the asian community is repeated again.

After seeing people in work on St Patricks day wearing their silly hats, green shirts etc I said I'll wear my England shirt on St Georges day and I was told it wouldn't be appropriate. WHAT? There are 147 people work in my place and I've never heard an Irish accent yet. It was all 3rd and 4th generation Australians and New Zealanders dressing up! Get a life. Your Ozzies and Kiwis. Be proud of that. I would never in a million years expect my gran kids to support England or celabrate St Georges day, just as I don't support the Egyptian football team or the Greek netball team (if they have one). If your born and bred in a country, support it. If your not, don't.

As for the councils in England. What a surprise (not).

After seeing people in work on St Patricks day wearing their silly hats, green shirts etc I said I'll wear my England shirt on St Georges day and I was told it wouldn't be appropriate. WHAT? There are 147 people work in my place and I've never heard an Irish accent yet. It was all 3rd and 4th generation Australians and New Zealanders dressing up! Get a life. Your Ozzies and Kiwis. Be proud of that. I would never in a million years expect my gran kids to support England or celabrate St Georges day, just as I don't support the Egyptian football team or the Greek netball team (if they have one). If your born and bred in a country, support it. If your not, don't.

As for the councils in England. What a surprise (not).

Too true mate but its the fact that the no fun brigade have hijacked the st george cross, Australia day here apart from some bar towel sniffers there was loads of national creeds parading the oz flag , If in no fun town in the uk you get a parade with everybody carrying or wearing st george regalia , every creed but english there wqould be a riot , its not the flag but the filth who have put there slime on it . Pre 1934 the swastika was an ancient pennant till the same filth took it as there symbol ,now its a symbol of filth

Guest Cane Family

I bet they backed down because I bet there will be some other parade going on soon, relating to other nationals.

They might ban Australia day next if the disgraceful homophobic riots against the asian community is repeated again.

Are you saying the asian community is gay earl?:policeman:Zenophobic maybe? to little sarah,if i remember rightly the race riots of the 80's was more about the ethnic communities rioting about "their" lot, police stop and search etc,than people rioting "because" of immigrants etc.im not nationalistic at all,but those who want to celebrate st georges day should be allowed to,all this has done is make more bullets for the far right to use as propoganda.

Are you saying the asian community is gay earl?:policeman:Zenophobic maybe? to little sarah,if i remember rightly the race riots of the 80's was more about the ethnic communities rioting about "their" lot, police stop and search etc,than people rioting "because" of immigrants etc.im not nationalistic at all,but those who want to celebrate st georges day should be allowed to,all this has done is make more bullets for the far right to use as propoganda.

Spot on Pab but if some english kid of darker skin paraded how long before he got some stick or bottle or boot.

Guest earlswood

This thread has already been done a few weeks back on here....blown out of all proportion again by the Dailf Fail.....if peopel want to celebrate St Georges day no one will stop them...have you ever been down East London on St Georges day,,,try stopping those lads.

Guest littlesarah

Hey Earls

Were they gay Asians? Or did you mean 'xenophobic'?! :tongue:

S x

This thread has already been done a few weeks back on here....blown out of all proportion again by the Dailf Fail.....if peopel want to celebrate St Georges day no one will stop them...have you ever been down East London on St Georges day,,,try stopping those lads.

Nothing wrong with doing the thread again as the day approaches, if thats ok with you of course!:wink:

seen any dark faces lm

Guest earlswood

Corrected

They might ban Australia day next if the disgraceful xenophobic scenes against the asian community is repeated again.

Sydney, Jan.27 (ANI): IT was a day to celebrate all things Australian, but it quickly descended into an afternoon of violence and racism, with people of Asian origin being the prime targets.

Asians attacked during Australia Day celebrations in New South Wales

Spot on Pab but if some english kid of darker skin paraded how long before he got some stick or bottle or boot.

Well i dont know tbh mally,you mean if an asian kid went on st georges day parade he would get a smack? i think ethnic minorities should take part "if they want to", it should be a parade for everyone who is proud of being english,i dont think the bnp etc would be allowed to get involved,but "maybe" you might get that "type" parading i suppose,but you cant punish the majority of decent people who want to celebrate st georges day because of the risk a couple of halfwits might get involved can you? then they've won

Guest earlswood
seen any dark faces lm

In East London? loads of black faces celebrating their Country on St Georges day ...yes

Guest earlswood

If the last Australia Day is anything to go by the kid with the darker face is better off staying here mate.

Archived