General Skilled Migration Program - capping and amendment of CSL

George Lombard

The Minister for Immigration is going to announce the introduction of capping of the General Skilled Migration program, and most likely the deletion of some building trades from the CSL, during the next 12 hours in Australia. Impossible to say what this will involve, the devil will be in the detail, but in what has clearly been an orchestrated media campaign most likely motivated by the Queensland elections next Saturday, every Australian newspaper has stories of this ilk this morning:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/sk...0315-8yyp.html

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...31-601,00.html

http://www.smh.com.au/national/immig...0315-8yy2.html

Leaving aside the hype, it seems clear that:

a) the following occupations are being removed from the Critical Shortage List:

bricklayers, plumbers, welders, carpenters and metal fitters;

b) the general skilled migration program is going down from 133,500 to 115,000, ie still at historically high levels but down from this year's peak.

c) to cope with the added backlog in the current program there will be capping, ie it's likely to take longer for visas to be granted.

No doubt more will emerge in the course of the day.

Right now it's pointless to contact your agents, they won't know about these changes and certainly not the detail until after the Minister's announcement, probably this afternoon. At the moment the only practical issue is that those five trades are probably coming off the skilled shortage list.

Cheers,

George Lombard

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest smiler77

sory to be thick, does capping mean they wont process any applications (no matter what profession) that where lodged after a certain date?? am goin down the pub and need to know how much sorrow i will be drowning!!

Smiles Tracy ;0)

Guest proud2beaussie

G.S.M cut by 14% according to this:

The number of skilled migrants allowed into Australia is being slashed, in a bid to save local jobs.

Immigration Minister Chris Evans says the Permanent Migration Program will be cut by 14 per cent to 115,000 people this financial year.

He says the move is in response to the worsening global financial crisis and rising unemployment.

"We don't want people coming in who are going to compete with Australians for limited jobs," he said.

The Government has also removed a range of building and manufacturing trades from the critical skills shortage list.

Master Builders Association spokesman Wil Harnisch says that is an appropriate step, given the financial circumstances.

"We're projecting at least a loss of 50,000 jobs in this industry," he said.

Senator Evans says next year's immigration intake is also likely to be lower.

Boom gate lowered to protect jobs - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

In my opinion a not unexpected move but surely the government will cancel the migration expo's etc that they run around the world,at least until the recession ends?

Dear YC,

No point worrying about things which aren't being announced.

At the moment those with a legitimate grievance are those with the 5 trades being taken off the CSL, and personally I would spare a moment for those who aren't on either the MODL or CSL and might be waiting considerably longer for their visas. Anyone now on the CSL should have a case officer by the end of May.

And FWIW I'm not even convinced that the amendment to the CSL is going to take place immediately, since we were told at the beginning of the CSL being introduced that the Department would not de-prioritise applications once their CSL status had been identified, which was a concern for IT people in the CSL which depended on their MODL status. So basically best to wait to hear what the Minister has to say.

Cheers,

George Lombard

sory to be thick, does capping mean they wont process any applications (no matter what profession) that where lodged after a certain date?? am goin down the pub and need to know how much sorrow i will be drowning!!

Smiles Tracy ;0)

Wish i new! Then i can join you down the pub!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi George

Thanks very much for this thread. I've made it sticky because I think this is going to cause a barrage of questions.

And since I got here first, mine....!

bricklayers, plumbers, welders, carpenters and metal fitters;

The ones who have been waiting, relying on the CSL alone, would do well to make swift applications for State Sponsorship where possible before the States change their own lists perhaps?

c) to cope with the added backlog in the current program there will be capping, ie it's likely to take longer for visas to be granted.

I'm not clear how capping works. I know that the Minister could cap, say, the sc 175 visa and say that no more will be granted once the total has reached a certain figure.

However can he cap the intake of a particular occupation without capping the visa type, necessarily? Australia has no wish to cap the intake of medical professionals, for instance, so capping the sc 175 visa as a whole would seem to be too crude a tool?

I'm puzzled by exactly how capping works when as far as I know there isn't a divvy up between x 175s, y ENS, z 475 and so forth? I'm sure I'm not the only person who will be wondering how any capping arrangements might actually work?

Many thanks

Gill

Hi Gill,

Actually if I accept what the ABC news and current affairs programs are saying it could be quite a serious amendment to the CSL, still not clear if immediate or forward in impact. If they're correct (and normally they are) then the removals - still to be announced - will include electricians and toolmakers and most industrial and building trades

Anyway, your questions:

The ones who have been waiting, relying on the CSL alone, would do well to make swift applications for State Sponsorship where possible before the States change their own lists perhaps?

Yes.

I'm not clear how capping works. I know that the Minister could cap, say, the sc 175 visa and say that no more will be granted once the total has reached a certain figure.

However can he cap the intake of a particular occupation without capping the visa type, necessarily? Australia has no wish to cap the intake of medical professionals, for instance, so capping the sc 175 visa as a whole would seem to be too crude a tool?

I'm puzzled by exactly how capping works when as far as I know there isn't a divvy up between x 175s, y ENS, z 475 and so forth? I'm sure I'm not the only person who will be wondering how any capping arrangements might actually work?

Actually I was just reacting to some of the text in the three or four newspapers I read this morning - in practice there shouldn't be a change in the way the program is administered, since they still have to meet a target by the end of the program year, it's just that there will be slightly fewer visas to go around.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Andrew Pharmacist

The allocation is per year. If you are to apply at the start of the allocation period you would be much more likely to get a available visa.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

If trades are removed from the csl is there any point applying for state sponsorship?

Hi Sebbers

Yes, very much so. The idea of the CSL is that the occupations on it are those which are acutely needed all over Oz. The construction industry at the time was very sceptical because they said that the demand for brickies etc is in specific places, not in every nook & cranny of Oz.

State Governments can still specify which skills they need regardless of anything the CSL says or does not say. State Sponsorship is a higher priority route than CSL only in any case.

The only bummer with State Sponsorship is that some of the State Migration Depts are struggling to cope with the sudden explosion in demand for State Sponsorship. Taking skills off the CSL will only add to the pressure on the State Governments, potentially slowing the whole thing down even more than before (though that might be exactly what the Minister would like to see happening.)

I think that people who have held off from applying for State Sponsorship might now hurry to apply before any States feel inspired to start pruning their own Lists for the sc 176 visa..

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Squem

Apparently the DIAC don't know anything about what's going on either and they have a meeting at 2pm (their time). The first they heard of it was from the newspapers!

A fellow PIO'er just phoned them and found it out!!

Apparently the DIAC don't know anything about what's going on either and they have a meeting at 2pm (their time). The first they heard of it was from the newspapers!

A fellow PIO'er just phoned them and found it out!!

yeh thats right, they don't know themselves whats going on, i phoned them when they first opened and was told they have a meeting at 2.00pm oz time and knew nothing untill they read it in the newspapers their selves............:arghh:

i was told to wait untill the end of the week and see what comes of it from the diac themselves !!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF THEY DON'T KNOW WHO DOES ??????

Hi Sebbers

Yes, very much so. The idea of the CSL is that the occupations on it are those which are acutely needed all over Oz. The construction industry at the time was very sceptical because they said that the demand for brickies etc is in specific places, not in every nook & cranny of Oz.

State Governments can still specify which skills they need regardless of anything the CSL says or does not say. State Sponsorship is a higher priority route than CSL only in any case.

The only bummer with State Sponsorship is that some of the State Migration Depts are struggling to cope with the sudden explosion in demand for State Sponsorship. Taking skills off the CSL will only add to the pressure on the State Governments, potentially slowing the whole thing down even more than before (though that might be exactly what the Minister would like to see happening.)

I think that people who have held off from applying for State Sponsorship might now hurry to apply before any States feel inspired to start pruning their own Lists for the sc 176 visa..

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

I'm really confused by all of this.... what does it mean?

We're applying under Eammon's skills as a carpenter and we've got state sponsorship for WA. Does this mean we'll still get processed as we've got State sponsorship or we won't because carpenters are potentially going to be taken off the list.

Will this affect applications that are already lodged or just future applications.

We received an e-mail from our CO on 3 Feb requesting PC's and Meds which we've got booked for 3 weeks time.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Denise x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

The DIAC Press Room probably haven't been given anything to do or say yet. They can move fast when they have to. Besides which they are bound to deny all knowledge unless and until the Minister says something.

I would suggest that we do all go to bed, if not to sleep, because this Minister has shown in the past that he will not say anything at a specific time. He tends to make his announcements when everyone least expects them so he may not necessarily say anything till later in the week or even beyond.

He is also a politician and therefore wily. At this stage he may simply be wanting to cause a heck of a stir so that he can gauge public reaction amongst those upon whom he he depends for his job - the voters.

I'm going to turn in for a few hours and I would suggest that anybody else who, like me, needs to be on parade at work in the morning should try to get some zzzzs in as well.

Nite all

Gill :SLEEP:

Guest HOPKINSON'S

Hi Gill, Granted 176 state sponsorship to SA on 5/3/09. Rather confused as to whether this whole situation will affect us - i am ajoiner. Just in process of submitting paperwork ready for DIAC. I know recently skilled sponsorships been taking priority, will this still be the case?

Thanks Max

Hi Gill

I'm really confused by all of this.... what does it mean?

We're applying under Eammon's skills as a carpenter and we've got state sponsorship for WA. Does this mean we'll still get processed as we've got State sponsorship or we won't because carpenters are potentially going to be taken off the list.

Will this affect applications that are already lodged or just future applications.

We received an e-mail from our CO on 3 Feb requesting PC's and Meds which we've got booked for 3 weeks time.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Denise x

In my view it means that processing times will lengthen - and that if you can push yourself up the processing pecking order by securing State or Territory Sponsorship you should do so.

As you already have State Sponsorship all should be well ... as I say it should be simply a matter of time.

Best regards.

In my view it means that processing times will lengthen - and that if you can push yourself up the processing pecking order by securing State or Territory Sponsorship you should do so.

As you already have State Sponsorship all should be well ... as I say it should be simply a matter of time.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan - I really hope your right.

Fingers crossed for all of us who might be affected by this news.

Denise

Guest Jamie Smith

For several people this means that Permanent visas will be harder to come by, but the door is by no means closed.

The way forward now is to seek employer sponsorship (ENS or 457) or RSMS with a job offer to strenghten the case. The employers will need to prove there is a lack of local applicants of fair quality first, so expect DIAC to mess this up from time to time in deciding whetehr or not that is the case.

The ENS is a permanent visa, the RSMS leads to it, the 457 gets you over here and can then lead to ENS (or assuming they relax the rules in a year or two, back onto the list for immediate PR).

There are well known shortages of trades people still in regional areas, so perhaps tradies might like to consider a move to a regional area as an entry strategy, then get PR and move again later to the preferred location.

Job offers are now the key to Australian migration for many, much the same for NZ visas too.

Consulting a migration agent is a good idea if the vias choice neeeds to change, getting help with your job search is an even better idea. And a 457 might get you to Australia faster as it shows an immediate job need...

Hi

Thanks for this but still really worrying myself that electricians will be affected too..

It just seems that after waiting for so long already, at this rate were never gonna get there....:arghh:

As you said we have to wait to see who is affected, but the way I read the article those trades you mentioned are examples, I read it a though it will be all trades in building and manufacturing!

"The changes mean building and manufacturing trades will be removed from Australia's critical skills list, protecting local bricklayers, plumbers, welders, carpenters and metal fitters.

But employers will still be able to access skilled workers such as doctors and nurses in industries and sectors where acute skills shortages exist.

The critical skills list will now comprise mainly health and medical, engineering and IT workers."

Minister's press release clarifies certain issues including a pruning of the CSL:

Government cuts migration program

Monday, 16 March 2009

The Rudd Government will cut the 2008-09 permanent skilled migration program by 14 per cent to protect local jobs while ensuring employers can access skilled professionals in industries still experiencing skills shortages.

As has long been the case, the Government can adjust immigration levels according to the economic circumstances of the day and last week Cabinet agreed to cut the permanent skilled migration program in light of the worsening global economic situation.

Clearly, the economic circumstances in Australia have changed as a result of the global financial crisis so it is prudent to reduce this year’s migration intake accordingly.

The changes to the program are:

* A 14 per cent cut in the 2008-09 permanent skilled migration program intake from 133 500 to 115 000.

* Removing building and manufacturing trades from the Critical Skills List, such as bricklayers, plumbers, welders, carpenters and metal fitters. The list will now comprise mainly health and medical, engineering and IT professions.

These changes follow measures announced in December that resulted in only those migrants sponsored by an employer or in an occupation on the Critical Skills List being granted visas under the permanent skilled migration program. Almost half of the permanent visas granted are to applicants already living and working in Australia.

The Critical Skills List will remain under constant review and the Government will remove occupations from the list if demand for those skills can be satisfied by local labour.

The overwhelming message from business and industry is that Australia still needs to maintain a skilled migration program but one that is more targeted so that migrant workers are meeting skills shortages and not competing with locals for jobs.

There are still skills shortages in some sectors, such as healthcare, and these measures will enable industry to continue to source the skilled professionals they need while protecting local jobs and the wages and conditions of Australian workers.

The Rudd Government remains committed to a strong migration program but will continue to monitor the migration intake and will set the 2009-10 migration program to reflect the economic climate as part of the Budget process.

Skilled migration plays a crucial role in stimulating the economy and combined with the Government’s Nation Building and Jobs Plan, will help Australia come out of the global economic downturn.

This confirms that the cut in the general skilled migration program takes place immediately and that the trades affected will be many and various, not just the five mentioned. The CSL on the Department's website has yet to be amended to reflect this change.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Archived