AUSTRALIA'S intake of skilled migrants will be slashed by 18,500 .. (The new budget )

Guest 3zooz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest majortom57
hi jamie

i thought the rsms visa was a permanent visa can you let me know.

many thanks

dobba

Just found this on page 5......the RSMS is a permanent visa, we got one in april 2006 !!

Guest antipope

hi, i'm pretty new to all this so please can someone help me out? Iam hoping to get a 175 skilled visa as a toolmaker. Is there a difference between the MODL and the CSL and am i better off applying for my visa or state sponsorship first?

Hi all

We're a bit devastated by this development.

Does anyone have a contact number for the Victorian state sponsorship office other than + 61 3 9938 0556 or + 61 3 9938 0562. These numbers end up with instructions to check the web site, but I really want to talk to a person!!

Can anyone help please!

Thanks, chin up

Ellie :)

Guest Gollywobbler
hi, i'm pretty new to all this so please can someone help me out? Iam hoping to get a 175 skilled visa as a toolmaker. Is there a difference between the MODL and the CSL and am i better off applying for my visa or state sponsorship first?

Hi antipope

Your best bet will be to choose a State which is offering sponsorship for the subclass 176 visa and persuade yourself to want to live in the State concerned for your first two years in Australia.

The link to all the State/Territory migration websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

The CSL has no impact on your points total but has higher priority than the MODL in the pecking order for visa processing. The MODL is the converse of the CSL.

State Sponsorship is a better option than the CSL especially now that Toolmaker is not on the new CSL.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest antipope

Once i get my TRA through, am i better off applying for state sponsorship then my visa or do i apply for both at the same time?

Guest chris_mac
Hi all

We're a bit devastated by this development.

Does anyone have a contact number for the Victorian state sponsorship office other than + 61 3 9938 0556 or + 61 3 9938 0562. These numbers end up with instructions to check the web site, but I really want to talk to a person!!

Can anyone help please!

Thanks, chin up

Ellie :)

Hi Elle

I take it you have the numbers from this link:

Contact Us - Live in Victoria

Have you tried the online enquiry form or the email link at the bottom?

Best wishes

Chris

Guest chris_mac
Once i get my TRA through, am i better off applying for state sponsorship then my visa or do i apply for both at the same time?

There will be quite a lot of competition now for State and Territory sponsors, with every state becoming illundated with sponsorship applications i would imagine. As soon as you have your successful TRA i would apply straight away.

Best regards

Chris

Guest antipope
There will be quite a lot of competition now for State and Territory sponsors, with every state becoming illundated with sponsorship applications i would imagine. As soon as you have your successful TRA i would apply straight away.

Best regards

Chris

I was planning to anyway, just got delayed because of my tra being refused first time round. seems i'll have a lot of competition now. Oh well, guess i'll just have to join the queue.

After having a long talk with our agent this morning, i think we are going to risk swapping over to 176, she said to let her know asap, so we will be phoning her tomorrow to get the ball rolling!

Good luck Dawny, hope it works out for you!:yes:

Guest chris_mac
After having a long talk with our agent this morning, i think we are going to risk swapping over to 176, she said to let her know asap, so we will be phoning her tomorrow to get the ball rolling!

Hi Dawny

There is no risk ands its very straight forward whilst also being the best solution at this current time for 175 applicants.

Best wishes

Chris

Guest highlander
The removal of some occupations from the CSL means that applicants with those occupations will take longer (dare I say much longer) to reach a visa decision.

I would therefore investigate the possibilities for securing sponsorship from a State or Territory Government to give your application the best prospects for a timely outcome.

I have had a quick look at my reference material and your occupation is being sponsored for a permanent subclass 176 visa by all except for NSW.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan,

My brother lives in Melbourne, (he is well settled) can i go under 176 skill sponsor class. He is willing to sponsor me.. will it be helpful. and how to contact you guys if formal help wanted.. Many thanks

Shane

REF & Air CON Mechanic

Guest janagaraja

Hi Gill/Every one,

I was alloted case officer on 2nd feb 2009 state sponsored 176. I send all the documents including pcc and medicals etc. Medicals Finalised on 11 th march. Now i am worried due to the reduction of numbers

in migration. Will it affect my visa grant or delay further . My documents page is still not showing met. How soon i can expect my visa . I know that i am not patient now and your wordings will boost my morale as i have already badly affected by recssion in usa. Thanks and Regards. Jana

Hi antipope

Your best bet will be to choose a State which is offering sponsorship for the subclass 176 visa and persuade yourself to want to live in the State concerned for your first two years in Australia.

The link to all the State/Territory migration websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

The CSL has no impact on your points total but has higher priority than the MODL in the pecking order for visa processing. The MODL is the converse of the CSL.

State Sponsorship is a better option than the CSL especially now that Toolmaker is not on the new CSL.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks Alan,

My brother lives in Melbourne, (he is well settled) can i go under 176 skill sponsor class. He is willing to sponsor me.. will it be helpful. and how to contact you guys if formal help wanted.. Many thanks

Shane

REF & Air CON Mechanic

Hello Shane.

A family sponsored subclass 176 visa application is not processed as a priority case - unlike a State Sponsored 176 application.

The good news though is that your occupation is on the current VIC Skills List for sponsorship of a 176 visa.

Feel able to contact us to discuss further:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Contact and Feedback

Either telephone your closest office and ask to speak with a migration consultant, or complete the form on this webpage.

Best regards.

Guest sanjeevtandon

Hi Jana,

We are also in the same boat, our CO aloted on 6 feb 2009 and medicals finalised on 9 March 2009 all documents shows Recieved but not met.

Cheers

San

Guest medim

the immigration policy has been changing so much lately... thinking that what is the point of getting the visa if cannot find a job here in future... even aussies being laid off... everything is not certain in this period of time...

Hi all, I had a news letter emailed 2 me bout this, i've copied n pasted it below.

I am writing this update newsletter to let you know about some significant changes to the skilled migration program that have been announced today (16/03/09 Australian Time).

I am very sad to report that the Minister has decided to cut The Permanent Skilled Migration Program from 133,500 to 115,000 and has changed the critical skills list.

So what does this mean? Well it means that unless you have an occupation that is either State Sponsored, Employment Sponsored or on the NEW Critical Skills list your visa will definately NOT be issed before the 1st July 2009 and it is likely to take much. much longer. It is also likely that from the 1st July there will be further amendments and a reduction in numbers for skilled places available. So visa places will first be given to these priorities and then if there is anything left they may move on to other applicants.

As for the critical skills list an updated version can be viewed at www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf . It now contains mainly medical occupations, Engineering and IT. Sadly the majority of the trade occupations have been removed. The only ones left on there are: Electronic Equipment Trades, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics and Mechanical), Gas fitter and Wall and Floor Tiler.

This is very disappointing news and I would advise that all who fall outside to the new priorities to seriously consider State Sponsorship or Employment Sponsored visas if you qualify, unless you are happy to wait.

-->

The Migration Minister has stated that "The Critical Skills List will remain under constant review and the Government will remove occupations from the list if demand for those skills can be satisfied by local labour."

We can therefore expect changes to the CSL at anytime, depending on the current economic circumstances.

Please contact your Migration Agent if you require details about your possible options.

Lynne xx

Guest proud2beaussie
It is also likely that from the 1st July there will be further amendments and a reduction in numbers for skilled places available.

I don't believe it is appropriate for anyone to be second guessing what the government may do in the future,it may well be correct that there will be further amendments to the migration program in the next financial year however that is for the government to decide and I beliieve it is wrong to make statements on matters which have yet to be decided,the minister has stated that the cuts are of a temporary nature and the minister should be taken at his word.

Scaremongering will achieve nothing.

The cuts announced have been made for a reason and not taken lightly.

Guest janagaraja

Hi sanjeev

Please update me on your status. Thanks. Good luck. jana

Hi Jana,

We are also in the same boat, our CO aloted on 6 feb 2009 and medicals finalised on 9 March 2009 all documents shows Recieved but not met.

Cheers

San

Archived