AUSTRALIA'S intake of skilled migrants will be slashed by 18,500 .. (The new budget )

Guest 3zooz

Hey Mr Luvpants as an oldie form this site and others don't I recall that you are /were a fire fighter surely now even more you would be in demand?

Nope. I have 14 years experience and would have to start at the bottom of the ladder (pardon the pun). There is no lateral transfer in place between the two countries like there is with the Police.

JOHN

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest the dobbas

hi nigel

you are right about jumping to conclusions but the news agencies reporting this are not normally wrong. and at the end of the day the oz government are just trying to protect what they have,

Guest earlswood
NNNNOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Not something else to put us back again after 7 months waiting already......:cry:

I wonder if this also counts for electricians???:unsure:

It says Bricklayers, plumbers, welders, carpenters and metal fitters will no longer get entry.

Nothing about sparkies

Guest the dobbas

hi

if you read the sticky thread by george lombard he recons they will take electricians and toolmakers off the csl

Guest earlswood
Nope. I have 14 years experience and would have to start at the bottom of the ladder (pardon the pun). There is no lateral transfer in place between the two countries like there is with the Police.

JOHN

I looked into it for a mate when I was over there and even looked into joining myself, are you a station officer (Iknow it has changed to watch commanders recently) or higher? because if you are you have a decent chance of getting in.

Guest joe & ian
sorry mate but i think it is all building trades

but we applied 15/07/08 and are on modl do you think we will be affected as well ???

:arghh::arghh:

Guest joe & ian
"The cut reduces the skilled migrant intake for the 2008-09 financial year from 133,500 to 115,000."

Still a lot of migrants will be getting visas on these figures if they are correct.

so do ya think we still have a chance of getting our visa so to hold out ????

Guest the dobbas

hi

i belive they are going to release the details about 2 or3pm oz time so should be a lot clearer then

good luck

dobba

Guest Squem

Just thought i'd post something i posted on another thread here too..

Apparently the DIAC don't know anything about what's going on either and they have a meeting at 2pm (their time). The first they heard of it was from the newspapers!

A fellow PIO'er just phoned them and found it out!!

Guest chris_mac

All we can do is wait for the DIAC to officially release the proposed changes. Then we can all look at our options and best way to proceed.

Best of luck everyone.

Chris

Guest proud2beaussie
Just thought i'd post something i posted on another thread here too..

Apparently the DIAC don't know anything about what's going on either and they have a meeting at 2pm (their time). The first they heard of it was from the newspapers!

A fellow PIO'er just phoned them and found it out!!

I don't find that surprising,after all the people who work for the department are just public servants doing a job and it's not their role to second guess decisions made by government ministers,and decisions incidentally which have only been announced in a media release,the minister is yet to release the full details and it would by highly improper for DIAC employees to comment on something they have not yet been given official details of.

Guest Jamie Smith

For several people this means that Permanent visas will be harder to come by, but the door is by no means closed.

The way forward now is to seek employer sponsorship (ENS or 457) or RSMS with a job offer to strenghten the case. The employers will need to prove there is a lack of local applicants of fair quality first, so expect DIAC to mess this up from time to time in deciding whetehr or not that is the case.

The ENS is a permanent visa, the RSMS leads to it, the 457 gets you over here and can then lead to ENS (or assuming they relax the rules in a year or two, back onto the list for immediate PR).

There are well known shortages of trades people still in regional areas, so perhaps tradies might like to consider a move to a regional area as an entry strategy, then get PR and move again later to the preferred location.

Job offers are now the key to Australian migration for many, much the same for NZ visas too.

Consulting a migration agent is a good idea if the vias choice neeeds to change, getting help with your job search is an even better idea. And a 457 might get you to Australia faster as it shows an immediate job need...

"The cut reduces the skilled migrant intake for the 2008-09 financial year from 133,500 to 115,000."

Still a lot of migrants will be getting visas on these figures if they are correct.

Just looked on the web site below to see how many visas have actually been granted over recent years, and if you look at the number for the last 4 financial years, even with the suspected cut, the number of skilled visas granted hasnt exceeded 115,00, so you may well be right that a lot of migrantes will still get visas on these reduced figures.

Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

with the greatest of respect i am quoting what has been said on the poms in adelaide forum ( news & gossip) where people who have met all of the criteria have been refused for no apparent reason whether this is true or not (and i cannot see any reason why somone would want to lie about this) i am sure i would want to know and not have it glossed over. also as has been stated over 50% of the pr visas are from temp visas.

As you know from my reply on the PiA forum, it is not lawful for a DIAC case officer to refuse an application for the grant of a visa without giving a valid reason.

Stop scaremongering!

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
but we applied 15/07/08 and are on modl do you think we will be affected as well ???

:arghh::arghh:

Hi Joe & Ian

Do you have State Sponsorship for a subclass 176 visa, please? If you have then your application should be romping ahead by now.

If you do not have State Sponsorship, apply for it I would suggest. The link to all the State/Territory websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

I'm pretty sure that Roofer is on the 176 SSV Lists for WA, SA and VIC. Not sure about the latest QLD List.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest the dobbas
As you know from my reply on the PiA forum, it is not lawful for a DIAC case officer to refuse an application for the grant of a visa without giving a valid reason.

Stop scaremongering!

Best regards.

first of all do not tell me what i can say or not say

and secondly if you have read the thread on pia the guy on there said he was refused for nothing so if you are frightend your business will suffer then stop glossing over it and making it sound as if everything is normal.

first of all do not tell me what i can say or not say

and secondly if you have read the thread on pia the guy on there said he was refused for nothing so if you are frightend your business will suffer then stop glossing over it and making it sound as if everything is normal.

It is not lawful to be refused a visa for no reason.

What part of that statement do you not understand?

Given that you do understand, why are you repeating the comment on other forums?

Best regards.

Guest the dobbas

The ENS is a permanent visa, the RSMS leads to it, the 457 gets you over here and can then lead to ENS (or assuming they relax the rules in a year or two, back onto the list for immediate PR).

hi jamie

i thought the rsms visa was a permanent visa can you let me know.

many thanks

dobba

Guest the dobbas
It is not lawful to be refused a visa for no reason.

What part of that statement do you not understand?

Given that you do understand, why are you repeating the comment on other forums?

Best regards.

so you are saying that all off the people that have posted on pia are telling lies,

fair enough if thats what you belive.

Archived