AUSTRALIA'S intake of skilled migrants will be slashed by 18,500 .. (The new budget )

Guest 3zooz

Guest 3zooz

Skilled migrants cutback | theage.com.au

Skilled migrants cutback

* Michelle Grattan and Peter Martin

* March 16, 2009

AUSTRALIA'S intake of skilled migrants will be slashed by 18,500 over the next three months — 14 per cent of the annual intake — in a dramatic move to protect local jobs.

Less than a year after increasing the skilled migrant intake to record levels, the Rudd Government has responded to the deepening economic crisis by removing building and manufacturing trades from the list of workers Australia is seeking from overseas.

Bricklayers, plumbers, welders, carpenters and metal fitters will no longer get entry. The list of critical skills is now confined mainly to the health and medical, engineering and IT professions.

The cut reduces the skilled migrant intake for the 2008-09 financial year from 133,500 to 115,000.

The Government had already foreshadowed a reduction in skilled migrants — who form the bulk of the immigration intake — next financial year, with details to be announced in the May budget.

The decision to cut the number of skilled migrants now shows the Government's growing concern about ballooning unemployment, which in February rose from 4.8 per cent to 5.2 per cent.

The official forecast of a 7 per cent unemployment rate by mid next year is certain to be revised up in the budget.

The deep cut in skilled migrant numbers follows December changes that meant only migrants sponsored by an employer or in an occupation on the critical skills list could get a permanent visa. Almost half the visas granted in this category are to people already working in Australia.

Immigration Minister Chris Evans promised further paring back of the critical skills list if warranted. "The Government will remove occupations from the list if demand for those skills can be satisfied by local labour."

Senator Evans said the overwhelming message from business and industry "is that Australia still needs to maintain a skilled migration program but one that is more targeted so that migrant workers are meeting skills shortages and not competing with locals for jobs".

There were still shortages in sectors such as health care. The measures will enable industry to continue to get the skilled professionals needed "while protecting local jobs and the wages and conditions of Australian workers", Senator Evans said.

He added that the Government remained committed to a strong migration program. "Skilled migration plays a crucial role in stimulating the economy."

The cuts came as Mr Swan signed an international communique agreeing to "fight all forms of protectionism and maintain open trade and investment".

Finance ministers and treasurers from the Group of 20 large industrial and developing nations met in Horsham, south-west of London, to thrash out an agreement that committed them to "take whatever action is necessary until growth is restored" with the proviso that they kept their borders open.

"We will try to ensure that there is no intended or unintended trade protectionism," said the meeting's chair, UK Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling, speaking to reporters after the meeting.

Mr Swan told the ABC there had been little disagreement: "You didn't see that in the meeting today. It was a very encouraging outcome. I've been coming to a number of these meetings over the last six months or so and today I saw a resolve we haven't seen before."

Ministers agreed to boost their contributions to the International Monetary Fund to let it help countries that can no longer get credit.

The leaders of the G-20 nations including Prime Minister Kevin Rudd will continue the negotiations in London on April 2. The global financial crisis will dominate Mr Rudd's first face-to-face meeting with US President Barack Obama next week.

Mr Obama yesterday singled out Australia as a country taking appropriate action in the face of the global economic crisis. "Kevin Rudd has taken similar steps (to stimulate the economy) in Australia ," he said .

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest the dobbas

hi

as i have said i another post this will probably lead to people on a temp visa been refused a pr visa at the end of the two years whether you have met the criteria or not, i personally would not take the gamble to be sent back home in two years time .

dobba

Guest the dobbas

hi

as it says in the post briclayers etc will no longer get entry as it is with immediate affect , all of those visas will be put on hold i think , best to contact your agent if you have one. but as it also says 50% are granted to temp visas so they will probably start to get there pr visa refused as well.

very worring times for those who have uprooted and are already there.

dobba

Guest OgaPoga

We are not in building industry, but sad news to everyone who have spent a lot of money, logged their visas ore even moved on temp and now they announce these news.

Guest the dobbas

personally i think it should have been brought in for all new applicants after a certain date but if this is what they have done now what will be next, that said i think we all knew somthing like this would happen sooner or later.

dobba

Guest the dobbas

hi dawn

it says the changes are to be introduced over the 3 months untill may then the new quota comes out for next year which hints that immigration will be slashed. so to answer your question as there is only three months left and it has been cut by18500 i think all remaining places will go to the health sector.

dobba

hi dawn

it says the changes are to be introduced over the 3 months untill may then the new quota comes out for next year which hints that immigration will be slashed. so to answer your question as there is only three months left and it has been cut by18500 i think all remaining places will go to the health sector.

dobba

Thanks Dobba, i think a lot of agents will be getting panic phone calls tomorrow, o/h is a plumber and hasn't heard the latest news yet, How can we be on such a high one minute and then on such a downer the next, we only lodged on the 10th of this month so not looking good! Wonder where that leaves us along with all the others! x

Guest the dobbas
Basically the skilled list will be IT, Engineers, Health. No building trades.

yes and as the report says it could be changed further

dobba

Guest the dobbas
Thanks Dobba, i think a lot of agents will be getting panic phone calls tomorrow, o/h is a plumber and hasn't heard the latest news yet, How can we be on such a high one minute and then on such a downer the next, we only lodged on the 10th of this month so not looking good! Wonder where that leaves us along with all the others! x

i know it must be terrible for anyone in this position , to have all the emotions of everything and then to be hit with this is a nightmere. but everthing happens for a reason so keep your head up.

dobba:hug:

i know it must be terrible for anyone in this position , to have all the emotions of everything and then to be hit with this is a nightmere. but everthing happens for a reason so keep your head up.

dobba:hug:

Fingers crossed for everyone its not all doom and gloom xx:hug:

Em....Worrying. My wife is a nurse so should be ok but I am worried as it looks that all the "other" jobs are going to be heavily over subscribed. I am looking to join the QLD police but I have heard that they are experiencing unprecendented interest in the job. To be honest I am starting to rethink about the whole thing.

I feel really sorry for all the 457's over there that were expecting to get PR but now it looks as though they wont now.

JOHN

Guest the dobbas

I feel really sorry for all the 457's over there that were expecting to get PR but now it looks as though they wont now.

JOHN

i know but unless they come on to forums like this most will probley not even know whats around the corner, what if they have bought a house etc

dobba

Guest the dobbas
NNNNOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Not something else to put us back again after 7 months waiting already......:cry:

I wonder if this also counts for electricians???:unsure:

hi, you will have to check the critical skills list

good luck dobba

Em....Worrying. My wife is a nurse so should be ok but I am worried as it looks that all the "other" jobs are going to be heavily over subscribed. I am looking to join the QLD police but I have heard that they are experiencing unprecendented interest in the job. To be honest I am starting to rethink about the whole thing.

JOHN

Hey Mr Luvpants as an oldie form this site and others don't I recall that you are /were a fire fighter surely now even more you would be in demand?

Guest 3zooz

when is the minister supposed to announce the new changes today ??

Is there a link we can follow for the up to date news ??

Will these changes be effective from now or they will beeffective from July ??

If I really wanted to migrate and I was young enough then I would just carry on and wait as things will improve and if I was in the pipe line already I think I would just hang on and wait things out. Also would get in the pipe line if I could afford it.. Once I received a visa I could then make up my mind whether to go or stay as things will probably have improved everywhere by then.

Guest the dobbas
when is the minister supposed to announce the new changes today ??

Is there a link we can follow for the up to date news ??

Will these changes be effective from now or they will beeffective from July ??

yes they are to be announced today and i belive from immidiate affect

Guest proud2beaussie
hi

as i have said i another post this will probably lead to people on a temp visa been refused a pr visa at the end of the two years whether you have met the criteria or not, i personally would not take the gamble to be sent back home in two years time .

dobba

With the greatest of respect to your opinions,I do think you should wait until we see the detail in the ministers announcement before leaping to conclusions about how the changes will affect grants of PR visas etc.

All we have at the moment is a media release which,as expected only gives the background of a story,there is no details about PR etc so I think it's best to wait for the full story before making assumptions about things that may not happen.

Guest the dobbas
With the greatest of respect to your opinions,I do think you should wait until we see the detail in the ministers announcement before leaping to conclusions about how the changes will affect grants of PR visas etc.

All we have at the moment is a media release which,as expected only gives the background of a story,there is no details about PR etc so I think it's best to wait for the full story before making assumptions about things that may not happen.

with the greatest of respect i am quoting what has been said on the poms in adelaide forum ( news & gossip) where people who have met all of the criteria have been refused for no apparent reason whether this is true or not (and i cannot see any reason why somone would want to lie about this) i am sure i would want to know and not have it glossed over. also as has been stated over 50% of the pr visas are from temp visas.

Guest proud2beaussie
with the greatest of respect i am quoting what has been said on the poms in adelaide forum ( news & gossip) where people who have met all of the criteria have been refused for no apparent reason whether this is true or not (and i cannot see any reason why somone would want to lie about this) i am sure i would want to know and not have it glossed over. also as has been stated over 50% of the pr visas are from temp visas.

I accept what you are saying about people having no reason to lie but you are speaking about decisions that have already been made in the context of the changes to be announced and I still think that we should wait for the ministers announcement until assuming that the changes will have such drastic effects on things like PR,and all applications are assessed on their merits and also against the criteria so unless the facts of each individual case are known then to say that someone has been refused for "no apparent reason" is a big call.

If there have been cases where visas have been refused and the applicant feels that they were not given satisfactory information about why the visa was not granted then there are avenues and processes which an applicant can follow to either establish the reason for refusal or appeal against the decision.

Archived