Guest fran morris

VETASSESS General Electrician Practical Exam advice please

Guest fran morris

Hi,

My husband has just passed his competency profile and is due to sit the VETASSESS General Electrician practical exam this April.

The candidate guide doesn't give a lot of detail about what to expect from the exam..........has anyone sat the practical GE exam? We'd REALLY appreciate some info from anyone who completed the practical in February or last October so we know what to expect?

Thanks very much,

Morris'

Guest kasper
Hi,

My husband has just passed his competency profile and is due to sit the VETASSESS General Electrician practical exam this April.

The candidate guide doesn't give a lot of detail about what to expect from the exam..........has anyone sat the practical GE exam? We'd REALLY appreciate some info from anyone who completed the practical in February or last October so we know what to expect?

Thanks very much,

Morris'

hi there, have you tried looking back b4 october for old posts? there is some very usefull posts by a lot of people regarding the exam.(chris macs post good) i passed mine in october and found it not to bad( but was still very nervious going into the exam) the one thing i didnt do enough on was revise my theory. if ican help any further i will try.

:smile:kasper

hi there,the theoyy is simple,you just to revise your theory side,ohms law,power factor and rmsn values,,,,,,there should de loads of info if you google it,,,

Hi guys

Also like to say that this post is very useful on Expats site..

practical exam theory : British Expat Discussion Forum

Gives detailed info regarding paper based and practical assessment..

Goodluck with your exam..

Agent appointed March 2008, TRA SUCCESSFULL 8/8/08 (Electrician) MODL 175 LODGED 28/8/08.. PCCS received 13/2/09, Meds done 18/2/09.OFF CSL 16/3/09..Applied Qsld SS 19/3/09..Qsld SS APPROVED 18/6/09..VISA GRANTED 23/7/09..Validated 13/12/09..Moved 6/6/10.

Guest Wannaby

HELP General Electrician vs. Vetassess Practical Skills assessment

PLEASE HELP.

5 Feb 2008 Lodged Vetassess Paper-Based Competency profile assessment

22 Feb 2008 Received "level 1 - successful outcome" from Vetassess for Paper-Based Competency profile assessment

22 Apr 2008 Attended Vetassess Practical skills assessment in Cape Town

01 May 2008 Received Unsuccessful Outcome for Vetassess Practical skills assessment

10 June 2008 Received Record of Assessment from Vetassess for Vetassess Practical skills assessment

25 Aug 2008 Received Review of Vetassess Practical skills assessment

:arghh: Review reads :

Below is a provisional list of units that u were demmed as not to have met the aquivalent technical skills:

* UEENEEC001A - Maintain Documentation

* UEENEEC003A - Install Wiring and Accessories for Low voltage Circuits

* UEENEEC005A - Verify Comliance and Functionality of General Electric Installations

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ?

My husband is an apprenticed Electrical Artisan working 12+ years as an electrician artisan at Matla Coal Central Engineering Workshop. How can he take 20 tests fail the 3 above and be denied the out come necessary to proceed with PR Application !!!!!!!

Has anyone else failed the Vetassess Practical Skills Assessment ? what do we do next ? My husband is refusing to redo Vetassess Practical he is convinced that they are a money making scheme and passing the test relys purely on how vetassess feels that particular day !!! we do no even understand what he did wrong in the first place !!!

Guest chris_mac
HELP General Electrician vs. Vetassess Practical Skills assessment

PLEASE HELP.

5 Feb 2008 Lodged Vetassess Paper-Based Competency profile assessment

22 Feb 2008 Received "level 1 - successful outcome" from Vetassess for Paper-Based Competency profile assessment

22 Apr 2008 Attended Vetassess Practical skills assessment in Cape Town

01 May 2008 Received Unsuccessful Outcome for Vetassess Practical skills assessment

10 June 2008 Received Record of Assessment from Vetassess for Vetassess Practical skills assessment

25 Aug 2008 Received Review of Vetassess Practical skills assessment

:arghh: Review reads :

Below is a provisional list of units that u were demmed as not to have met the aquivalent technical skills:

* UEENEEC001A - Maintain Documentation

* UEENEEC003A - Install Wiring and Accessories for Low voltage Circuits

* UEENEEC005A - Verify Comliance and Functionality of General Electric Installations

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ?

My husband is an apprenticed Electrical Artisan working 12+ years as an electrician artisan at Matla Coal Central Engineering Workshop. How can he take 20 tests fail the 3 above and be denied the out come necessary to proceed with PR Application !!!!!!!

Has anyone else failed the Vetassess Practical Skills Assessment ? what do we do next ? My husband is refusing to redo Vetassess Practical he is convinced that they are a money making scheme and passing the test relys purely on how vetassess feels that particular day !!! we do no even understand what he did wrong in the first place !!!

Hi Wannaby

Unfortunately your OH failed to demonstrate the required skill level within those 3 modules.

Your options are:

Appeal the decsion...

Re book the test doing only the 3 module again.

Unfortunately us blokes are stubborn and dont accept defeat easily especially when its our trade...:no:

Its not the end of the world to take them again and the the next time he knows what to expect and can revise, study or practice so he gets it right..

Best wishes

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House sold 14.04.08

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08 – Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Police checks 27.08.08 - Recieved 06.09.08

Medicals 12.01.09 – Frontloaded

CSL CHANGED AGAIN - NONE PRIORITY

Applied State Sponsor 13 March (Queensland)

State Sponsor Granted 23 April

Waiting CO...

Guest Wannaby

I found more details regarding my HO's fail !! ......

Competency Group 3: Installation

1) Install wiring and accessories for low voltage circuits

The candidates testing procedure was very poor. Power/neutral was not isolated before testing. The

candidate has very little underpinning knowledge o the correct test procedure for installations.

Competency Group 4: Manage documentation

2) Maintain documentation

3) Verify compliance and functionality of general electric installations

The candidate was not able to complete the disconnect the 3 phase motor from the electricity supply in a

safe manner, nor was he able to explain the correct sequence of event to ensure the Occupational,

Health and Safety requirements of this task are met. The assessor had to intervene to ensure the safely

of the candidate as he attempted to test the motor switch when it was live to power.

Overall Assessor Comments:

The candidate was not confident in completing both the motor control and the installation tests. The

installation testing techniques consisted of a number of occupational health and safety errors which put

him at risk of personal harm of injury demonstrating his lack of underpinning knowledge.

It is advisable for the candidate to read and understand the attached document Safe Working Practice

for Electricians and gain more training in testing of electrical wire installations in a safe manner

My HO says that the above is all "BS" !!!!

Where can i find out exactly what went wrong and how he needs to do it next time round ?!!!

My HO is a perfectionist and prepared for the test by going over all his theory and modules and text books used in his apprenticeship. The test cost a hell of alot of money (flights, accommodation and taxi incl.) He has been working on very high voltages on a mine where safety is a huge issue and any unsafe move can result in death, and has been doing this every day for past 12+ years. To say he was unsafe in his procedures is an unbelievable insult to him !!!

I don't know what to do vetassess wont reply to any of my emails and my HO ir ready to throw in the towel. we tried changing to 4-5-7 route but cant find a sponsor or a job, apparently the recession has put recruiting from overseas on hold :-(

Hi my name is Monica.

Is there anyone that has recently done the exam for General Electrician in cape town. We need so help as to the exam and what we need to take with us. But mostly the Q that might be asked and practical of the exam. PLZ I need help.

Sorry the exam for Vetassess we have done the skill test and past with a Level 1 out come. We really want to immigrate to Australia soon before the babies are to old. :smile:

Hi All,

Anyone doing the Vetassess assessment for electrical in the College of north west london, please find attached a copy of the DOL starter schematic attached. not too sure if it is the same in other colleges

DOL starter.pdf

hope it helps.

DOL starter.pdf

Hi garygrey. Could you PM me with the DOL starter schematic? It doesn't appear on this page. Cheers

Hi I'm struggling interpret something in the connect/disconnect part of the test, it says

Ensure that you know the minimum allowable value of insulation resistance of a conductor/s to earth/ground by your LOCAL STANDARDS

So that bit is straight forward, its just you regular insulation resistance test, minimum is 1Megohm and anything under 2 Megohm requires further investigation, its the other one....

Ensure that you know the maximum allowable value of earthing resistance of a conductor by your LOCAL STANDARDS

I'm not sure what this bit is asking for????? HELP!

Hi jomon

Please contact me 9747854560 ( i am from Kerala and doing same )

On 10/1/2017 at 13:54, Jomon_Joseph said:

HLO Sparkies,

I am going to take the test on 30th October, in India.May I get any tips for practicals.

Hi jomon 

Please contact me - 9747854560 (india) i am from Kerala and doing same