Best place to live in Canberra

Guest Dom and Elaine

Hi Quoll

Whats your view on Ngunnawal and the Primay school there?

Hmm, it's OK. Perhaps the poor man of Gungahlin - Palmerston being "upper", Ngunnawal would be "lower". But not bad by any means. I would still take it over almost any of the Tuggeranong suburbs.

The primaries that feed into Gold Ck HS actually send their kids over to the HS at the end of year 5 if that is of any importance to you. Then they start their middle school on the HS site for year 6.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dublin
Hmm, it's OK. Perhaps the poor man of Gungahlin - Palmerston being "upper", Ngunnawal would be "lower". But not bad by any means. I would still take it over almost any of the Tuggeranong suburbs.

The primaries that feed into Gold Ck HS actually send their kids over to the HS at the end of year 5 if that is of any importance to you. Then they start their middle school on the HS site for year 6.

Quoll Thanks a mil

every piece of information is so valuable so

thanks again for taking the time to inform us

I keep a close eye on all your posts as there is not always too much info around

canberra

maybe we'll arrange to meet up with you when we get arrive

Best wishes

tara

Guest Dublin
No worries!

Golden rule though wherever you go is to check out the neighbours - even the best of suburbs can have the worst of neighbours:biglaugh:

Cheers for that Quoll

Do you mean just knock on the door and say G'Day.................:wacko:

and check them out

• 3 weeks later...
Guest destinationoz

Does anyone know - how soon after moving to Canberra can you buy a house? I didn't really want to rent for long...

Are there any restrictions by Gov or visa's or mortgage lenders? (I'm guessing I'll need a job first whatever happens thou!!)

All depends on what visa you arrive on. Some (temporary) visas need permission to buy. Otherwise you will need a fairly substantial deposit, a job with pay slips to show that you will be able to repay a mortgage and bob's your uncle as soon as you have had building inspections and done searches - assuming you can find a house you a) want to live in and b) can afford

Guest destinationoz

Thanks lots to both answers

We're hoping to get a 176 Permanent Visa and have a deposit of £40-50k if we can sell our house - is that enough?

We've got a 5 year old son so we'll want to go somewhere good with a decent school ... any more tips welcome!!

Thanks lots to both answers

We're hoping to get a 176 Permanent Visa and have a deposit of £40-50k if we can sell our house - is that enough?

We've got a 5 year old son so we'll want to go somewhere good with a decent school ... any more tips welcome!!

Where will you be working? That sort of plays a part as to where would be the best place to live.

Realistically you arent going to come out of a house purchase with much change from $500k after you have done stamp duty, solicitors fees, searches, building inspections etc - not unless you head for an area that maybe you dont really want to live in or a house you arent that enamoured of. So you could be looking at a mortgage of $400k - I dont know how that fits with your expected income etc. Ball park, for just over $300k mortgage at current rates (and they are going to go up) over 25 years you are looking at $2k per month. Check out Real Estate & Homes for Sale, Rent and Share | allhomes to see what the real estate market is looking like these days

Most of the schools are OK although there are some better than others of course.

Guest destinationoz

Thanks loads for that info Quoll - its really helpful and plenty of food for thought ...

I don't know any details yet apart from we're applying to ACT ...! I'm much too early to be thinking of detail but I can't contain my excitement and keep thinking thru all the possibilities! I'll no doubt be in touch again! THANKS LOTS!

Guest Samfire

We asked the ACT if there are any restrictions on purchasing a property on a 176 visa. I can confirm that once you are a permanent resident, you can purchase immediately, although they did advise even a 3month rental to get familiar with the areas before commiting to purchasing a property. We are waiting for our visa to be issued at the moment and currently have our house on the market here in Ireland - no viewings yet!!! The Euro is falling steadily against the AUD$ by the day though, and the price of houses here in Ireland are declining at a steady rate and we've noticed that house prices in Canberra are not falling all that much at all!!! So, our dream home continues to diminish a tiny bit each day that we are still stuck here in the Northern Hemisphere - but you know what? - we still don't care!!!!! Just can't wait to be outta here - even if it means living in a camper van!!!! Best of luck with your plans and keep the spirits up - we'll all get there in the end!!!!

We asked the ACT if there are any restrictions on purchasing a property on a 176 visa. I can confirm that once you are a permanent resident, you can purchase immediately, although they did advise even a 3month rental to get familiar with the areas before commiting to purchasing a property. We are waiting for our visa to be issued at the moment and currently have our house on the market here in Ireland - no viewings yet!!! The Euro is falling steadily against the AUD$ by the day though, and the price of houses here in Ireland are declining at a steady rate and we've noticed that house prices in Canberra are not falling all that much at all!!! So, our dream home continues to diminish a tiny bit each day that we are still stuck here in the Northern Hemisphere - but you know what? - we still don't care!!!!! Just can't wait to be outta here - even if it means living in a camper van!!!! Best of luck with your plans and keep the spirits up - we'll all get there in the end!!!!

OMG you do NOT want to be living in a camper van - do you know how cold it was here today?:biglaugh: We hit a giddy high of 4C!!!

I quite agree that it would be very sensible to take a short term rental to begin with so you can suss out the area. It does get a bit tricky if you have kids in school and dont want to move them but you can take your sweet time getting them settled in a school - no one is going to quibble if they are out for a month or so.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently live in a house in Queanbeyan, it's basically a 2 up 2 down kinda semi detached (our garage is attached to next door). It cost $227k about 3 years ago and we believe it's woth about $300k now. My sister in law is looking for something similar in Queanbeyan for about $300k but she is finding it very hard. I have herd that Queanbeyan is one of the cheaper areas around the capital.

Hi all, this thread is really helpful. thank you so much.

I am checking on AllHome.com.au researching for the rental of appartments / townhouse and stumbled upon CHC Affordable Housing.

Does anyone has any experience with this?

Hi all, this thread is really helpful. thank you so much.

I am checking on AllHome.com.au researching for the rental of appartments / townhouse and stumbled upon CHC Affordable Housing.

Does anyone has any experience with this?

Basically a program to help low income earners into the market - you have to be pretty poor to qualify for it because it is just that one step above public housing and the aim is to expand it to accommodate more people moving out of supported accommodation into the private market instead of lingering on the gov housing list for years. You have to be a citizen or permanent resident afaik. I dont think they would envisage new migrants as needing that sort of support as most are coming in with a decent bank balance to support themselves. Plenty of locals doing the couch surfing thing or being squeezed out of the private rental market because of high rental costs.

hi Quoll, thank you so much for your fast reply.

Yes, you are right. I understand what you mean.

We are very new to the Australian properties, still researching ... haha .. a bit confused with the term used also i.e. townhouse, apartment, unit, Dual Occupancy and etc.

And, we are trying to familiarized with the area of ACT .. by reading here and also searching on the Web.

We are married with no kids, we do not mind simple and small space but would like decent neighbourhood, we hope to save on rental for the first few months while search for job ..

Any website that you would suggest us to read?

thank you :cute:

The best place is all homes really, it's a pretty well known local site and the bulk of rentals and for sales do go on there. There's nowhere that is really really bad although there are bits of everywhere which are less nice than other places so a good look around the neighbourhood is always going to be necessary. It really does depend on what you want to live in and how much you choose to spend on it.

The best thing to do before you arrive is to either book into a hotel or holiday accommodation for a few weeks until you can get a rental. Stayz Holiday Accommodation – 20,000+ Holiday Rentals across Australia has some holiday rentals.

The best place is all homes really, it's a pretty well known local site and the bulk of rentals and for sales do go on there. There's nowhere that is really really bad although there are bits of everywhere which are less nice than other places so a good look around the neighbourhood is always going to be necessary. It really does depend on what you want to live in and how much you choose to spend on it.

The best thing to do before you arrive is to either book into a hotel or holiday accommodation for a few weeks until you can get a rental. Stayz Holiday Accommodation – 20,000+ Holiday Rentals across Australia has some holiday rentals.

thanks Quoll, Stayz has heaps of information.! thank you.

• 8 months later...
Guest RobzNdebz

fantastic responses!

i'mnew to this, how do i suscribe to this thead so i am updatedwhen soneone replies?!! i cant find the button anywhere!

thansk

fantastic responses!

i'mnew to this, how do i suscribe to this thead so i am updatedwhen soneone replies?!! i cant find the button anywhere!

thansk

hi, as you comment in this post, you are automatically subscribed to it. :biggrin:

you should able to read my comment now ..

Thanks Quoll

Very informative and we are delighted to get some good suburb advice. Our budget would definitely be middle-of-the-road approx. 500k - 550k so this will surely dictate what we can afford. Hubby was wondering what Holt, Melba and Evatt in the north are like. I had also been wondering about Wanniassa, Monash, Calwell or Banks in the south, both in terms of neighbourhoods and schools. I suppose we'll find out when we get there - best to concentrate on a rental home first. I'm dreading the idea, as I have always owned my own home since I was 20, and have never rented before. Will it be difficult for people in our situation, who won't be able to provide references from previous landlords? Thanks again for all your help

Hi

I was mortified about the prospect of renting too when I got over here, but my oh was already renting in Holt and we've now moved into a bigger rental place in Ngunnawal and are settling in very nicely. Whilst I was hunting for a bigger rental property, I checked out a house in Evatt and it was a dump, but that's not to say Evatt is a bad place, the suburb looked relatively okay, but I had my heart set on Amaroo or Ngunnawal when we first started looking.

We would've settled also for a house in Melba which we viewed, but were pipped at the post for that one.

I guess I was lucky in the respect that although we put in joint applications for the rentals, my oh has previous history regarding the references etc. I'll ask him to respond to you regarding the other areas mentioned and if he knows anything about not having the historic rental references, surely they would be able to check with your previous mortgage lender or something?

Guest cat woman
Hi

Whilst I was hunting for a bigger rental property, I checked out a house in Evatt and it was a dump, but that's not to say Evatt is a bad place, the suburb looked relatively okay, ?

Evatt is a great suburb to live in :arghh:

Guest RobzNdebz
hi, as you comment in this post, you are automatically subscribed to it. :biggrin:

you should able to read my comment now ..

gott it! thanks!!

Archived