Georgie

insect egg query?

Hi

I noticed just recently that we have a lot of pale brown, papery texture. flat to the surface marks all over the ceiling outside and one on the blind inside. I saw one hatch the other day with miniscule like black maggoty things in them. I wiped it off with a wet wipe. Then i say another hatch and it looked like they were climbing down from the ceiling on a fine cobweb. I scraped it off the ceiling too!

Does anyone know what this is? The marks are about 1 inch and smaller in size and look almost fungusy.

Georgie

Guest brooksey

Loads of them around our house but don't know what they are

Guest Tim

I have them too - don't know what they are ot what lays them - I think the ones I see are some sort of small insect.

The other ones I want to find is the ones that dig between the patio slabs and leave a pile of sand as tey burry.

Guest brooksey
I have them too - don't know what they are ot what lays them - I think the ones I see are some sort of small insect.

The other ones I want to find is the ones that dig between the patio slabs and leave a pile of sand as tey burry.

Don't know what they are either ,but used to get them back in Sheffield:confused:

Don't know what they are either ,but used to get them back in Sheffield:confused:

theyre ants one on grass here must be one mother of an ant lol

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

So many freaky things here arent there? It makes it worse if you dont know what youre dealing with i think. Tried to find out on the internet but from my description nothing came up.

Guest Tim

I was bitten by a grasshopper the other week.. I probably deserved it because I picked it up.

I was bitten by a grasshopper the other week.. I probably deserved it because I picked it up.

I didnt know grasshoppers could bite?:wideeyed:

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest kiwi

Me either. Sure it didn't just shave you with its legs?

While on the subject of biting insects, do people find that bull ants (the big suckers that come out in the evening) bother pets?

I'd love to know what they are too! Got loads of them on the ceiling of our outside patio area, never see what does it or neither have i seen anything come out of them, got to be some sort of insect right? Or is it a complete mystery? someone must know!!

Find all the insects here so interesting, although some of them appear to be on steroids or something, any idea why everything is so big here?

VISA GRANTED..... 17.04.08 YIPPEEEE!!!!!

ONE-WAY TICKETS 30.12.08 CRIKEY!!!!!!

LIVE ON THE GOLD COAST LOVING IT!!!!!!

Yes all the creatures look like they have been on steroids, especially around Pacific Pines, maybe there is something in the soil there!

Hi

I noticed just recently that we have a lot of pale brown, papery texture. flat to the surface marks all over the ceiling outside and one on the blind inside. I saw one hatch the other day with miniscule like black maggoty things in them. I wiped it off with a wet wipe. Then i say another hatch and it looked like they were climbing down from the ceiling on a fine cobweb. I scraped it off the ceiling too!

Does anyone know what this is? The marks are about 1 inch and smaller in size and look almost fungusy.

Georgie

This is just a guess but they are very common in Brisbane:

Orb Weaver or Garden Spider

These spiders all construct the characteristic circular, flat wheel-like web (orb web) in which flying insects are trapped. Some construct elaborate and beautiful, large webs in gardens and tall vegetation, especially obvious in the late summer and early autumn months. They have poor vision and locate the prey by feeling the vibration and tension of the threads in their web and then quickly, by turning the captive with their legs, use silk to wrap the victim. The prey is bitten before being carried to the center of the web or to a corner where it is eaten. Anything inedible is cut out of the web and dropped to the ground. In the fall, female orb-weavers produce egg sacs containing several hundred eggs, then die. Eggs may hatch soon after or not until the following spring. Many adult spiders are large, some with oddly shaped abdomens (pointed spurs, conical tubercles, etc., in various colors of black, yellow, orange, red, white, brown, greenish, etc.).

One common spider, known as the black and yellow garden spider, has silver hairs on the back of its forward body section and a large abdomen marked in black and bright yellow (or orange) with the front legs sometimes black or with a short band of orange. This spider is about one inch long hanging head down in the center of the web, and found in brambles, bushes, tall grasses, etc., in open, sunny places near human habitations where flying insects blunder into the trap. egg sacs are spherical, narrowed at one end, up to one inch long and covered with a tough brown, paper-like silk. Despite the formidable appearance of these spiders, they are not considered dangerous, but can bite if handled or molested.