welder/fabricators

Macks in Brissy

Hi

I can tell you that my hubby brought most of his with him, but he had to buy a helmet and some other bits so that he could start work before our container arrived, if we had thougth we would probably tried to bring them in our luggage.

Work wise - we are in Melbourne and he is struggling, there seems to be a lot of adverts but the jobs are usually gone when he rings. The agencies are mixed in professionalism, he has had to keep ringing them, reminding them he is still looking for work. He had a really good job with Catapillar making the huge dump trucks but they have drastically cut back on production world wide so when that stopped at Christmas he has found it hard to get work. He is now working doing 'bug' welding ??? not sure but it is very boring apparently, but it is a job and is supposedly ongoing and will do until something better (hopefully) turns up.

He also did his red card which is a OH&S course, apparently you need this to work, best check out if this or something similar is needed in Brissy.

hope you get some more replies for Brissy

Karen

Thanks to all replies.

I keep an eye on the agency Seek website and welding jobs are dwindling but there are still a few on there.I have applied for a couple of jobs over the weekend see what happens eh!

My son is in Perth groundworking and has just been laid off,he's of to Melbourne, seemingly theres a bit more work over there he's on a working holiday visa.

Ive been told by my visa agency that i should hear on my TRA this week (fingers crossed).

I think/hope things will pick up by the time everything comes through.

Not quite sure if i need to start new thread or just reply!!!

Hi Macks

you should also try careerone and mycareer for jobs and the papers, they should be online, I don't know which ones are in Brisbane but here in Melbourne it is The Age and the Herald Sun, we have also had jobs come through that have been advertised in The Australian but I have not managed to remember to buy that one and look for jobs.

good luck

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

i would bring everything mate , if your a tig welder i would defo bring your screen with the flip up glass (probs the baby head shield from holland) i slipped up and left some in the uk ...and the screens here are total cr*p , not light weight . W.A paying anything fron $32 - $40+ metro but if you go away fly in fly out you will earn big time , i think the baby shield is a norton brand , if your coming to perth can you bring me 1or2 pal . regards

just a thought but TIG seems to be asked for in a lot of ads so hubby has signed up for an 80hr course in the hope that having a TIG qualification will help on the job front. Cost about $200

Having said that he got a full time job last week making road sign trailers, he is working in a big shed in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere, first day he was helping round up the sheep that escaped into the garden of the farm house!!! so far he loves it.

Good luck to everyone still looking

Karen

Hi

My hubby is a sheet metal worker/fabricator and we are hoping to move to Melbourne. We have a friend who is a sheet metal worker in Melbourne and he has told us there is a demand and loads of jobs but we have tried looking on the job websites and can,t seem to find many.

Sorry have no idea about the tools sure there will be a way to take them over.

• 5 weeks later...

We live on the Gold Coast, on a working holiday visa and my OH company were in the process of sponsoring us and they now have to close! :shocked:

We have contacted every company in the white pages/internet within driving distance to see if they need a welder with no luck. It doesn't look very hopeful to find any work near here and a sponsor.

We are looking into applying for a QLD Regional Sponsored 487 visa if he can have his skills assessed at TAFE and gain cert III then be assessed by the TRA - he has 11 yrs experience but no qualifications.

The only regions in QLD where we could relocate are up North - Mackay, Rockhampton & Whitsundays. They are on the SOL list for to sponsor welders.

Never been to any of these places, don't know if there's any work and what they'd be like but may have no choice if it keeps us in Oz for a couple of years until we can apply for PR. Don't want to move South. :sad:

OH is another fabricator/TIG & MIG welder, we were worried too, but on our reckky he just called on loads of companies in Melbourne, then in Brisbane & got lucky. Right place, right time with right skills for what this company needed (its a big enclosure company with jobs coming in from China etc, & moving to new premises over next 2 months). He'd already turned down 4 other people who'd turned up that morning, but OH skills &experience were better, & more varied so got to talk to him & sell himself!

Recession does appear to be hitting Oz now though as some of the companies he visited were impressed with his skills, & said they'd have taken him on in different circumstances, but couldn't risk it right now.

Kath & Hans

Archived