Guest siobhan@mcleod7.orangehom

OZ drivers license when banned in UK

Hi All

Still on cloud nine as you can see from gettin the visas, but i,m looking for some advice on obtaining an ozzy license. A few months ago my OH was given a years driving ban. Can anyone tell me if this will carry on in OZ or will he be able to get a license when we arrive there. I have tried to e-mail the NSW Road & Traffic Authority but that was over a week ago and still no reply. We also contacted the DVLA and they weren,t sure but said they would give us a letter stating that he,s a driver. Don,t even know if that would help. I,m hoping for good news cos if he can,t get a license we won,t be able to move till after the ban ends.

Many Thanks

Siobhan xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I am pretty sure it is the same as QLD and your ban will be carried over, here i was told if you are banned in the UK your licence isnt classed as a valid so you have to wait until the ban has finished.

See this link as it does mention the 'exchange of a valid licence'

Licences from recognised countries

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest kerryandgordon

I remember when we were in Brisbane we had to have our UK licence to conver into a QLD licence. My OH had a full licence I only had a provisonal and that was also converted. I think it was $60 we paid for this. HTH

Hi All

Still on cloud nine as you can see from gettin the visas, but i,m looking for some advice on obtaining an ozzy license. A few months ago my OH was given a years driving ban. Can anyone tell me if this will carry on in OZ or will he be able to get a license when we arrive there. I have tried to e-mail the NSW Road & Traffic Authority but that was over a week ago and still no reply. We also contacted the DVLA and they weren,t sure but said they would give us a letter stating that he,s a driver. Don,t even know if that would help. I,m hoping for good news cos if he can,t get a license we won,t be able to move till after the ban ends.

Many Thanks

It sure will, you may get away with it if you forget your UK licence and sit for an aussie one

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates 1981

Guest John Sydney

Licences from recognised countries

Above is the link to the RTA note is says Valid licence also it goes on to say the RTA may withhold issusing a licence until the RTA sure the overseas licence is valid

As for the RTA answering your E-mail good luck if they do it will only point you at the Licencing page

NSW RTA are real pain when it comes for getting a licence from scratch might take you up to two years to do it

Thanks to everyone for your advice, contacted NSW RTA by phone. They said as long as he has his license to prove he,s a driver they will replace it with a NSW one. Just the news we wanted as we hope to be there in 8 wks.

Thanks again

Siobhan, David, Jodie13, Jay6, Millie5. Sydney bound in 8 wks Woo Hoo :-)

Guest John Sydney

Do you have to hand in the licence in the UK ? If not you might be all right But if they take the licence away until the suspension is over. How you going to prove you have a licence?

Do you have to hand in the licence in the UK ? If not you might be all right But if they take the licence away until the suspension is over. How you going to prove you have a licence?

Yeah the license has been sent away but will be returned within the next few weeks, also we called Swansea and they said that they would fax or e-mail NSW RTA if we needed any extra evidence.

Guest wiccanwitch

DVLA will keep the license till the ban has ended ?

never heard of them banning somone then given it back a few months down the line ?

Guest elisek
Hi All

Many Thanks

There are some questions and answers regarding a driving ban and driving abroad at this link:

Banned from Driving - FAQ - What happens next?

Hope this helps.

Lise x

Hi All

Many Thanks

Hi Siobhan

We're newbies in NSW too - arrived Jan 14th this year, you're going to love it! We're in Mona Vale (northern beaches) if ever you need a friendly face?

I've had my experiences with the RTA office, they're actually not that bad when you go in in person! Very organised and helpful as I had lots of questions! I went in to apply for my Oz drivers license (mostly for ID - I'm finding lots of people ask for it!) but, as we are here on a Business owners visa (effectively temporory for up to 4 years unless we apply for PR), they advised me that they don't issue Oz licenses to temporary residents and to just carry my UK one with me at all times. It's very confusing as all the literature I've looked at says if you're here longer than 3 months you have to get it converted but, if they won't do it, what can you do!

I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing - Not sure if they'd be able to see from your UK license that there's a ban in force? I have just picked up my first speeding fine which, when I pay it, also includes 4 demerit (penalty) points on my license. I'm struggling to see how they're going to put those on my UK license?? Maybe they can - I'll keep you all posted (unless someone knows the answer to thi one?!)

All the best anyway, hope the move goes smoothly and remember hrough the stress - It IS worth it and you're almost at the finish line!!

Zoe xxx

Zoe, Nat, Becci, James Dec 07 Business Sponsorship Lodged Apr 08 NSW Sponsorship Aug 08 Visa (163) Lodged 22nd Dec 08 Visa here, fly 12th Jan 2009

, Been here over 2 years and loving every minute of it!