Working holiday Visa, renting?

Guest Markjl

Guest Markjl

I have been reading lots of posts on this website but cant find any that relate to people on working holiday visa's seeking accom!

I know alot of people proberly pick fruit and stay in hostels when they travel on working holiday visa's! But i would like to look for a job in IT maybe stay in a Max of 2 different cities.

Can anyone offer any advice? i have found holiday rentals and short term rentals in general to expensive, is there any places that have 6 month contracts? my budget would be about 600pound for the month for a 2 bed????? been looking at perth and melbourne.....

Guest Cath76

Hi Mark,

I came out to Melbourne on a working holiday visa and did find it quite easy finding a room to rent ($640) per month in a share house. I just found a notice on a board in an internet cafe and called them.

Real Estate Agents generally turn their nose up to WHV renting properties unless you have a lot a cash behind you and can pay the full amount of the contract up front. Right now I am renting a 1 bedroom for $867 per month (pretty much cheapest end of the market) not far from St Kilda.

What I would start off doing is book a backpackers before heading out here, check out websites like Flatmate Finders - Share Accommodation & Flatmates - Sydney/Melbourne and maybe make contact with a few people. Sharing is a great way to make new friends and having someone there to give you a heads up on work etc.

Hope this helps you,

Cath

I have been reading lots of posts on this website but cant find any that relate to people on working holiday visa's seeking accom!

I know alot of people proberly pick fruit and stay in hostels when they travel on working holiday visa's! But i would like to look for a job in IT maybe stay in a Max of 2 different cities.

Can anyone offer any advice? i have found holiday rentals and short term rentals in general to expensive, is there any places that have 6 month contracts? my budget would be about 600pound for the month for a 2 bed????? been looking at perth and melbourne.....

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Mark

As Cath has said have a look at house shares as even hostels can work out expensive. Unfortunately, in regards to rentals 98% of the current rental market is on a 12 month tenancy.

Try gumtree.com.au or realestate.com.au

gumtree tend to be private rentals

realestate is all agents etc

we are on a whv, found somewhere privately before we arrived, then made friends and got this fab place privately here!

good luck xx

Guest Markjl

many thanks for the replies! its going to the first time me and my girlfriend have lived together so to be honest we dont want to share with others even though im sure it is the most pratical way for some one on a WHV.

im looking at taking 7k english so i might just have to pay a big chunch straight up...

Some agents will allow 6 month leases if you plan staying in one area for a while,alos try explaining your reason for wanting a 3 month lease and offer the full amount up front and some might go for that too..

The other option is to approach agents/owners of furnished accommodation and ask if they do a discount for longer stays, i offer this so i am sure many other companys out there also do,although you will struggle renting furnished with your budget because most include the electric and water bills so are normally more expensive like you say.

Good Luck, hope you get sorted

Cal x

Guest junan70

I don't know why I've left this until now to look into, but I'm off to Melbourne to study in June. The course is only 9 months long. I won't want or even be able to afford a 12 month lease. Are 6 month leases really that hard to come by??

Guest junan70
Try gumtree.com.au or realestate.com.au

gumtree tend to be private rentals

realestate is all agents etc

we are on a whv, found somewhere privately before we arrived, then made friends and got this fab place privately here!

good luck xx

Are private rentals also 12 month leases?? Just curious.

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't know why I've left this until now to look into, but I'm off to Melbourne to study in June. The course is only 9 months long. I won't want or even be able to afford a 12 month lease. Are 6 month leases really that hard to come by??

Hi

Unfortunately, 98% of long term rentals in Melbourne are for 12 month leases. It is possible to break the lease earlier but there are costs involved. It would probably still be cheaper than taking out a short term furnished rental for 6 months, however, the problem you will have is that agents are now refusing to rent to people who are not in Melbourne. So for the first few weeks you will still need short term accommodation.

Where abouts in Melbourne will you be studying?

Kate

Archived