god and bad areas?

Guest the dobbas

To help with private school decisions. We used private schools in the UK and our daughter was a boarder and it cost £6,500 per term, £3250 none boarders. Both now go to a private school here in SA (Cardijn) and its $8000 for the whole year (for both) which is drastically cheaper than the UK and so far both kids have said, short of missing their school friends, this new school is a lot better.

For us, it has to be the south of the CBD. We moved here for a new life with a change to our way of living. So one major factor was the outside living and sea/beach was a huge pulling point. That said, i dont really know the north, well except Mawson Lakes and to me, its too new, just like toy town (lego built) and too far from the beaches.

However, we all have different wants and needs. i am happy commuting on the metro to get to live the beach style of living and love it.

But like other have already said. We are renting for 12 - 24 months to ensure we have made the right decision as nothing is forever, thing change, we what different things. Another major factor is the cost of living. To live on the sea its going to cost you, to live in a new, posh suburb, it will cost you. Some areas in the south have recently had a face lift so their homes cost more. Other areas are having major transport links put in, i suspect these areas will be the next on the price rise.

Hi,

Thanks for the useful information. We are planning to move in 2012 but looking are different areas just like the others. We have looked at both North and South around the city as the jobs I have looked at (IT) are in the CBD.

The sort of rent we are looking at is around £300 - £350. Would you happen to know what the average prices for state school? Also whether if there is any difference between Medicare for someone with visa and citizen as I have read mica info. I have looked at Private Health Care as I understand that medicare is not as good as the NHS.

thanks in advance

We are entitled to MediCare being permanent residents, but have topped this up with medical insurance to over hospital, dental eye etc, mainly ambulance. Much of the entitlements of Medical insurance you must have a minimum time to qualify from 2 - 12 months before the full systems kicks in. It costs us about $70 per month for a family of 4 to cover us for everything.

So far as rentals, it will really depend on what you want. We want 4 beds with at least 2 lounges, this rent has varied from $1,200 (yep $1,200) per week down to about $300 but these $300 places have been very raw and maybe something i wouldn't have chosen to live in. We have secured a 4 bed place, with a pool for $430 per week. For rental prices and a good view at the type of properties look at realestate.com

We are entitled to MediCare being permanent residents, but have topped this up with medical insurance to over hospital, dental eye etc, mainly ambulance. Much of the entitlements of Medical insurance you must have a minimum time to qualify from 2 - 12 months before the full systems kicks in. It costs us about $70 per month for a family of 4 to cover us for everything.

So far as rentals, it will really depend on what you want. We want 4 beds with at least 2 lounges, this rent has varied from $1,200 (yep $1,200) per week down to about $300 but these $300 places have been very raw and maybe something i wouldn't have chosen to live in. We have secured a 4 bed place, with a pool for $430 per week. For rental prices and a good view at the type of properties look at realestate.com

Hi,

Once again thanks for the info

I have been following the realestate site for a while and comparing the prices from one suburb to another.

How quickly did you settle in? Did you find a place before hand or once you moved? We are weighing our options as to whether I should go there first or move with the family

We all moved over and stayed in a furnished 3 bed home for 12 weeks, still in the same place with 1 week to go. We choose 12 weeks to ensure our belongings had arrived before we needed them. 2 weeks ago we seriously started to look for an unfurnished rental and secured 1 by the end of the first week, signing the contract last week. Our belongings arrived in Adelaide on the 7 sept and cleared customs last weeks, with delivery due at our mew home the day we pick the keys up. We have a 4 day window where we will have both properties so should be able to make a good home before we move in fully. We have a dog with us so the hardest part was finding the initial furnished place that allowed pets. Best of luck, Anything else keep asking.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gaz,

long time no post for me!!! Glad to see you settled in Adelaide and loving it. We went on holiday and to validate in July and loved it. We rented a really fab house with a pool in Reynella and I liked it a lot there! Just waiting for our house to go on the market in the UK before our big move!!! We have friends in the Adelaide hills and I LOVED IT THERE TOO!!! We would also consider Littlehampton, Nairne & Mount Barker BUT like you guys the beach is a big pull for us - we are also moving for a lifestyle change. Would love to live near Brighton but not sure how pricey it is!!!!!! Might have to go a bit further out to Aldinga (which is sooooooo gorgeous too). You have done well to get a 4 bed rental for $430 Just hope our house sells and we can get out to Oz. We sooooooooo want to be there. Take care Clan mac xxxx

Hey Gaz,

long time no post for me!!! Glad to see you settled in Adelaide and loving it. We went on holiday and to validate in July and loved it. We rented a really fab house with a pool in Reynella and I liked it a lot there! Just waiting for our house to go on the market in the UK before our big move!!! We have friends in the Adelaide hills and I LOVED IT THERE TOO!!! We would also consider Littlehampton, Nairne & Mount Barker BUT like you guys the beach is a big pull for us - we are also moving for a lifestyle change. Would love to live near Brighton but not sure how pricey it is!!!!!! Might have to go a bit further out to Aldinga (which is sooooooo gorgeous too). You have done well to get a 4 bed rental for $430 Just hope our house sells and we can get out to Oz. We sooooooooo want to be there. Take care Clan mac xxxx

Hi Clan mac,

How far is Reynella from the city? We will be travelling next year to validate the visa and then move. We have been looking at the different places, mainly around the city with a hope to get a job close by in the IT sector?

Hope everything goes well for you. All the best

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mansukhpatel,

Reynella was about 20 mins from the city if by car if you use the Southern expressway which is one way! Although the direction changes at a certain time of the day. We liked Reynella also for it's proximity to the city centre whereas the Adelaide hills are 45 mins drive from the city centre. I hope you have a wonderful time in Adelaide during your validation trip.

Take care Lorraine xx

Archived