Pay attention.... doom and gloom merchants...

Guest philandjo

Sorry guys another negative thread on it's way.....I have been here since january 09 and would go back tomorrow, the only thing oz has going for it is the sunshine, and i'm over that already. I have comitted career suicide coming here, I'm a psychiatric nurse, but we wont go into that. I find the australians extremely rude, not very bright and 20 yrs behind the rest of the world! They have no sense of humour and the majority i have met are lazy.Also their education system stinks.......

I am genuinely sorry things have not worked out for you but as a psychiatric nurse I am surprised that you do not have the insight to realise that making over-generalisations about your situation as you have is a symptom of depression, if you feel you made the wrong decision it's not surprising but please think about the affect of your post on others, we do have aussies on the site you know! And it is also disturbing for people still in the process - the reason for the OP.

It probably would have been more appropriate to post in the returning to the UK forum where this kind of post is expected.

If you genuinely believe what you said then I really do think you need some help to get your perspective back, I imagine there are confidential counselling services where you work?

Sorry for being blunt but if it helps you realise all is not well then I don't mind you being angry with me for pointing it out.

Take care

Jules

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest junan70

Phil and Jo

I have printed your post and stuck it on the wall behind my computer to remind myself why I'm spending all this money and taking a test to prove I can speak my own bloody language!!

I'm lucky. I've travelled a lot and I've seen real poverty. Going without for a bit while I see whether I can make it in Oz is a worthy investment. If Oz doesn't work out so be it. It will have cost me what I spent on my last car.

Doom and Gloom merchants are everywhere......sadly.

Guest kazmatt
Sorry guys another negative thread on it's way.....I have been here since january 09 and would go back tomorrow, the only thing oz has going for it is the sunshine, and i'm over that already. I have comitted career suicide coming here, I'm a psychiatric nurse, but we wont go into that. I find the australians extremely rude, not very bright and 20 yrs behind the rest of the world! They have no sense of humour and the majority i have met are lazy.Also their education system stinks.......

i dont think it fair that fruitcakechic gets too much stick for their opinion, i had the same kind of thoughts at one point and started a thread stating the same kinds of things, i got no end of stick for it, but at the time i was angry and felt a little cheated, i think its only fair to allow fruitcakechic to vent there angers. we go home in 2 weeks, and at this moment in time know this is the correct decision for us.

Guest junan70
i dont think it fair that fruitcakechic gets too much stick for their opinion, i had the same kind of thoughts at one point and started a thread stating the same kinds of things, i got no end of stick for it, but at the time i was angry and felt a little cheated, i think its only fair to allow fruitcakechic to vent there angers. we go home in 2 weeks, and at this moment in time know this is the correct decision for us.

Describing Australians as 'rude' and 'not very bright' is garbage bordering on the childish and might I say more than a little offensive. I've been to Oz a few times and have not been subjected to anymore rudeness that I experience here in the UK in fact, much less.

As for not being bright, perhaps she's confusing it with a lack of knowledge of world events given that Aus is pretty isolated, but even in that I'm stretching it.

The only salient point she makes is that it's their own decision and it won't be everyone's. No harm in coming back and certainly none in staying.

The childish generalisations (from a psychiatric nurse??!!) are shortsighted and unhelpful.

But surely you can understand why she is getting stick guys, again ''its the generalisation' someone who has been here a matter of weeks is posting saying,,

I find the australians extremely rude

They have no sense of humour

Now come on, how many places and how many people can you meet in such a short time, definately not enough to give a good opinion of Australia, maybe if she had worded ''where i live'' before her comments people might not be soo hard. I read a post yeaterday where someone said its like visiting Liverpool city or Manchester for a few weeks and slating the whole of the uk because of it.

Also remember i have read many posts this last week with lots of unhappy people complaining if a possitive post is put on a going home thread, works both ways you know ,,as you can now see.

Hope this helps you understand why some get stick and others dont, quite often its the way a post is written

Cal x

Guest nyper74exc

i am a bricklayer and i have been here since 3/9/08. i have watched first hand the work for brickies get less and less- to the point now where there is nothing. and i mean nothing. i think its only fair to point out this fact for anyone researching coming over here RIGHT NOW. if i knew there was as little work going around i would have gave it second thoughts. it would have been easier to either keep a job there or at least have your reputation to fall back on if not. i personally blame the governments who would have you believe there is loads of work here- for brickies at least-otherwise why would they have the trade on the modl list gaining 60 points? there is no work here for brickies, so rather than give up on your 'living the dream' plans, maybe just put them on hold.

Guest brooksey
i am a bricklayer and i have been here since 3/9/08. i have watched first hand the work for brickies get less and less- to the point now where there is nothing. and i mean nothing. i think its only fair to point out this fact for anyone researching coming over here RIGHT NOW. if i knew there was as little work going around i would have gave it second thoughts. it would have been easier to either keep a job there or at least have your reputation to fall back on if not. i personally blame the governments who would have you believe there is loads of work here- for brickies at least-otherwise why would they have the trade on the modl list gaining 60 points? there is no work here for brickies, so rather than give up on your 'living the dream' plans, maybe just put them on hold.

Thats all most of us are saying. If you have a safe job in the UK then wait a while and come over when things pick up

Guest treesea
treesea, you have contributed some great posts to this thread and I agree with you entirely about the social housing issue but on this one I tend to disagree.

If you go on a work visa by definition you have a job to go to - whether it's secure is perhaps a different issue but at the moment I would say it is far more favourable than arriving on the skilled migrant visa without a job - we certainly feel so!

Also it is not correct to say you have to wait for two years to apply for PR, some employers will sponsor you much sooner and we've been here 4 months and our application went in yesterday (Independent Skilled) - our agent thinks we're likely to have a CO by end of May. I will I admit be happier once I have the PR but I'm not altogether sure you're right on the benefits.

My view is in the good times a 457 visa is restrictive whereas inn the bad it's a godsend. I will qualify that in saying only with a reputable employer!

Jules x

Yes, it is true that even with PR, if you have no job to go to, then it would be wise to think carefully before moving to Australia, but at least if you do take the plunge, and end up staying somewhere where work is scarce, you do have access to some benefits , like rent assistance and family benefit part A and B, - well, always assuming you don't have much liquid assets, but I meant if the money ran out.

On a work visa though, I wonder whether the jobs people go to are worth having, especially in construction. A friend of a friend migrated to Melbourne four months ago to project manage some apartments being built. For some reason, he was there three months, when the bank got antsy and withdrew part of the project funding. It was to do with not having sold as many off the plan as the backers had forecast in their business plan. He was laid off, got 4 weeks notice and told "sorry, mate, we are having to scale down the project." No offers from the employer of alternate sites. He is now stuck without a job and the Australian Government can ask him to leave because apparently a condition of the visa is being in work.

It's about time employers who sponsor people to come out to Australia were made responsible for employing them for the entire length of time of the work visa. It costs a small fortune to emigrate from Britain to Australia - this isn't exactly like hopping across the pond for a couple of years or nipping over to France or Spain. How cynical, to offer someone from overseas a job and then three or four months later dump them, citing the "economic downturn" as an excuse.

I imagaine most will agree with you, Treesea .. at least, I do, wholeheartedly.

It's an enormous step to take and expensive. But if people were assured of steady employment during the difficult early stages, it would take an enormous weight from their shoulders.

The Aussie government is going to have to shape up in this regard. Clearly they want UK migrants, but they need to do more than simply encourage and sell the place to prospective migrants: they need to ensure they land on their feet.

If the Aussie government put as much effort into ensuring UK migrants had a soft-landing as they do into promoting the Australian lifestyle and alleged opportunities, there'd be far, far less disappointment, stress and heartbreak.

Yes, it is true that even with PR, if you have no job to go to, then it would be wise to think carefully before moving to Australia, but at least if you do take the plunge, and end up staying somewhere where work is scarce, you do have access to some benefits , like rent assistance and family benefit part A and B, - well, always assuming you don't have much liquid assets, but I meant if the money ran out.

On a work visa though, I wonder whether the jobs people go to are worth having, especially in construction. A friend of a friend migrated to Melbourne four months ago to project manage some apartments being built. For some reason, he was there three months, when the bank got antsy and withdrew part of the project funding. It was to do with not having sold as many off the plan as the backers had forecast in their business plan. He was laid off, got 4 weeks notice and told "sorry, mate, we are having to scale down the project." No offers from the employer of alternate sites. He is now stuck without a job and the Australian Government can ask him to leave because apparently a condition of the visa is being in work.

It's about time employers who sponsor people to come out to Australia were made responsible for employing them for the entire length of time of the work visa. It costs a small fortune to emigrate from Britain to Australia - this isn't exactly like hopping across the pond for a couple of years or nipping over to France or Spain. How cynical, to offer someone from overseas a job and then three or four months later dump them, citing the "economic downturn" as an excuse.

In consruction I agree with you entirely but I do find quite often on this forum there is a bias to the experiences of construction workers - probably because they make up the majority of migrants to Australia.

Whilst it is possible that a Doctor or teacher or whatever could get laid off it is far less likely but the negative posts get to everyone (not that I think your posts are negative but that's what this thread was about)

In our case all our moving costs were paid & there is a legal obligation for the employer to pay for your return to the UK so whilst if the worst happened I would be despairing it wouldn't have cost us (at least no more than moving within the UK). This is true for all the professionals I met - in fact one family have had their rent paid & private school fees paid the entire time (& they have been here 5 years now!)

I just wanted to redress the balance and say 457's aren't all bad! However I did say with a reputable employer.

Jules

Archived