My OH

Guest Abi&Dan

Guest Abi&Dan

Fairly new here and been reading with interest - and growing trepidation!! all the queries and problems and delays encountered by many of you in applying for visas.

I'm lucky - grew up in Oz and M&D had foresight to get citizenship for whole family - very grateful now that I'm wanting to go back for good in 3-4 yrs.

However, not sure what the deal is with my other half? I know my sis had to go through a long drawn out procedure with an expensive agent to get her OH in. We were planning on winging it as OH training to be plumber & gas fitter shortly so figured he'd be a shoo-in but reading lots of posts on here makes me certain he wont have the experience necessary for that to count when we want to go.

I know you need a load of points (120?) but missing a 60 pointer skill think it might be harder. Does anyone know how many points he'd get if I forced him to marry me?! :biggrin: It strikes me it might be almost impossible to get in without a skill (there defo isn't the cash here needed to go the study route). Is it always 4 years experience you need plus recognized qualifications to get your skill points - does anyone know any other way you can make your skill count?

Was feeling pretty settled about the whole thing before - feeling like it might be a whole lot more complicated than we thought!! :arghh:

Any knowledge/advice appreciated!

Abi x

Guest Abi&Dan

Cheers Cal - will probably try that though think you still need your points and stuff too - think de facto/spouse just gives extra points - my sis and her hubby been together 13 years and have 2 kids and still took well over a year to sort his app out! To be honest I'd ask her but she went through an agent herself and doesn't really understand what happened!!

Will probably try to wangle one of those free consultations from an agent - saving like crazy to make it the best start poss don't want to spend £ks on an agent - if I can possibly avoid it - but guess have to decide what's important and getting it right sure is.

Reckon I'll go away and google it - see what comes up :yes:

Thanks x

Hi Abi

Assuming you are married to OH or can show a well documented minimum 12 months de-facto spouse relationship, the spouse visa is fairly straight forward and is will be processed as quickly as you can sort his police and health clearances. They do look at whether the two of you are finacially stable and loo kat your employment prospects and if the yhave any doubts, they could request an assurance of support which can delay the process. Download the Partner booklet for an idea of what is involved - definitely no points test though.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

Hello there Abi and Dan

Are you getting paid to be on the internet all day then! Have you looked at the Britvics web site and also The British Expat site. Aussiemove is also a good one but more on Perth and Brisbane. My advice is to do everything yourself as the visa for a spouse is straight forward and easy. I only used an agent cos i am a bit thick when it comes to form filling and i am not very organized. You are both organised and have a good brain so you will be fine. It will cost you about 1,900 pounds to use agent. I havent got a pound sign on my keyboard btw! It only took about 6 weeks for us to get visa once everything was lodged its all the evidence gathering that takes time.

Hurry up and get here then. I dont want to be moving back to England just as you are getting here.:wink:

Luv Big Sis xxxx

Guest Josephine

Hi Abi

I have just gone through the process of applying for a spouse visa. My OH has Oz citizenship. It was very straight forward. Did not use agent as no need. You have to prove your relationship is geniune and on going.

There was no point system and no questions with regards to my employment. Yes medicals and police checks are required, but everything else very straight forward. Supply as much information as possible in the form of joint bank accounts, bills, holidays, invites etc. The whole process took no longer than 2 months.

Should you require any help, just pm me.

Best of luck

Josephine

Guest Abi&Dan

Bless you George xxx I only wish I was getting paid to be on the net all day!! Would certainly make the move faster - and don't you worry there's no changing our minds and we'll be there before you know it x and you wont be getting cold feet and coming back!

And thanks very much Josephine and every one else with your info - definitely useful to know and eases my mind a lot!!

Hi Cal

I am not going back just yet but after 7 months here i am getting pangs of homesickness you know missing friends, family, way of life ie knowing where to get this and that, not easy to find the sort of mates you had back home (if you manage to find any at all), getting sick of flies although they are dying off now, miss the green countryside, the hot weather is sometimes very draining, i am just as broke here as i was back home too! The list could go on however i have doubts about getting back on mortgage ladder, the OH likes it here (as i do too), i would certainly get sick of the British weather as well, the traffic is horrendous back home, people are grumpy back home, things are even more expensive ie gas and electric for one.

Both places have good and bad points though but i am going to try and stick it out here for as long as i can on a day to day basis. I dont know if i will live here forever but who knows what will happen in the future. I hope that if some or even all my family get here i will certainly feel more at home. Go on Abi work on Justine and Matt!!

My thoughts are not unusual so i know i am not strange....well at least i dont think i am!

Georgie

Guest Abi&Dan
Hi Cal

I am not going back just yet but after 7 months here i am getting pangs of homesickness you know missing friends, family, way of life ie knowing where to get this and that, not easy to find the sort of mates you had back home (if you manage to find any at all), getting sick of flies although they are dying off now, miss the green countryside, the hot weather is sometimes very draining, i am just as broke here as i was back home too! The list could go on however i have doubts about getting back on mortgage ladder, the OH likes it here (as i do too), i would certainly get sick of the British weather as well, the traffic is horrendous back home, people are grumpy back home, things are even more expensive ie gas and electric for one.

Both places have good and bad points though but i am going to try and stick it out here for as long as i can on a day to day basis. I dont know if i will live here forever but who knows what will happen in the future. I hope that if some or even all my family get here i will certainly feel more at home. Go on Abi work on Justine and Matt!!

My thoughts are not unusual so i know i am not strange....well at least i dont think i am!

Georgie

Such a matter of opinion my love xx lol

You hang on in there anyway - you know the positives far outweigh the negatives whereas it's generally the other way here.

Positive you'll feel happier soon - you have to let yourselves settle in fully - and you'll stop being homesick soon enough - is it 3 months mum and dad are coming over for later this year!? ;-)

Archived