Queensland - what is classed as Regional???

Guest kirstig123

Guest kirstig123

Hi,

A silly question probably...to add to the many already asked, but which areas of queensland are classed as regional. Is Cairns, Townsville and coastal towns included or is it all the places inland, surrounded by bush and snakes?

Cheers K

Regional means specific postcodes which are described as low population/growth areas (typically more rural areas). The following postcodes are regional:

4124 to 4125

4270 to 4272

4307 to 4499

4517 to 4519

4522 to 4899

Brisbane and the Gold Coast are not classed as regional albeit the above aren't necessarily in the middle of nowhere.

This link offers the suburb names for the above postcodes Postcodes Australia

Hope this helps.

Paul (39), Cheryl (35), James (18) & Francis (13)

Submitted to AIM by post - 19 Dec 08

AIM acknowledged receipt by email - 5 Jan 09

Further info requested by email - 21 Jan 09

Submitted further information via email - 23 Jan 09

AIM acknowledged receipt - 27 Jan 09

Email received from AIM with positive result – 9 Feb 09 (letter dated 4th)

Regional sponsorship form posted to Queensland Government – 9 Feb 09

Email from QG confirming receipt and aim to give result in 3 weeks – 18 Feb 09

Looking at SE Queensland - although this depends really on the job opportunities for OH. We have registered with a number of recruitment agencies to ensure they CV - they work a much slower pace than in the UK so we thought best hit them now rather than when we have the visa and just want to get out there.

What skills are you going with?

Guest kirstig123

Hi, This is a bit of a long story....OH is a civil (structural) engineer.....however not worked as one since 2002 as decided to start his own company doing developing. It was a really bad idea with hindsight as civil engineering is on the csl. His current role is divided between engineering manager and construction project manager, so we are in a quandry and trying to get references stating him as an engineering manager, but its quite tough. The first is accepted as state sponsor in most states, however I think only regional queensland accepts the construction project managers. I am a bit gutted, however we are going to directly contact every engineering consultancy that we can uproot in the hope we secure sponsorship and get an engineering role again. I am concerned about lack of work opportunities in the regional areas, how are you managing? We have had very little luck with agencies. OH has applied for 10 jobs within last 3 weeks, but not heard anything back as yet, hence directly contacting organisations to try and speed things up.

We have contacted a number of recruitment agencies - created a spreadsheet to keep track of all communications and to ensure we don't submit to the same ones over and over again!

I've done a search for manufacturing businesses in Queensland - not much comes up with the search. Someone suggested on here to look at the states Chamber of Commerce website - I've done this and there are a list of organisations which I now need to trawl through and see what type of company they are before sending speculative application! A task and a half but worth doing now whilst waiting for decisions to be made on visas etc.....keeping me occupied!

We know of someone who emigrated a couple of years ago - they applied for a job and 6 months later they invited him for an interview! Based on this we thought best to start submitting CV now!

Would it be worth you contact an agent for some advice on what route you could go down?

Good luck with your way forward.....

Guest kirstig123

Hi, We are with an agent already. They have been really helpful. They recommended applying for a 176 visa as construction project manager, however this was prior to the change with DIAC, the CSL etc etc. We need to get all of our paperwork together in order for them to fully assess which route we should take, which is understandable. OH is determined that he will apply to every consulting practise in oz before the end of next week.... I will need a large bottle of vodka next Friday! Good luck with your quest and thanks again for your help.

Archived