Guest lynneunderwood

changeover of drivers license

Guest lynneunderwood

hi could someone tell me how long is it before u have to change ur UK license over to an Oz one we have been here since September 08 on PR>

Cheers Lynne :spinny:

Oops Lynne, don't know where you are but in Melbourne you have 3 months.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

QLD is 3 months too

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

queensland is 3 months but if your like me just say your on holiday then its valid for 12 months hahaha:tongue:

Guest proud2beaussie
queensland is 3 months but if your like me just say your on holiday then its valid for 12 months hahaha:tongue:

Be aware that some police officers will ask to see your passport and visa if you present an overseas licence and if the visa shows anything other than a tourist visa or temporary visa then you risk being fined for failure to produce a valid licence ,has happened to a client of mine recently,she was fined a total of $585.00

Umm Lynne

Maybe a trip to change the license over tomorrow. If your in Victoria it is just a case of doing a straight changeover if your UK license is a full one.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

and NEVER, EVER ,EVER try to present your UK licence one when you have been and got your QLD one, lol, man, the coppers chuck a major hissy fit,lol

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

and NEVER, EVER ,EVER try to present your UK licence one when you have been and got your QLD one, lol, man, the coppers chuck a major hissy fit,lol

Cal x

Are you talking from experience Cal:policeman:

sort of,lol, long story,,

When Gary went for his QLD licence , it printed out wrong and the photo was too dark, the dept of transport asked him to come back the following week (it was a friday)as the licence would be void with the photo being so dark, they handed it over and said bring it back with you but DONT use it in the meantime, its void.

Needless to say we were routinely stopped over that weekend, and doing what we had been told , presented the UK licence, you have never seen a policeman 'paddy' like this one did,as soon as he started to check it must have said QLD licence issued or something,,,the beads of sweat were dripping off his forhead as he 'quick marched' back to our car with a Very Loud mouthful,, i think he must've been having a bad day full stop,lol, but it wasnt our fault, we were new to the country and following the instructions the DoT gave us,, so yes i did 'let' my view of his attitude be known,lol, especially as he had upset my children with his majorly loud mouth ! lol

So you see, not the criminal you though am i ? lol

Cal x

Guest mandypete

How long do you have to change over if your on a 457 visa in queensland?

My hubby is a mechanic and we are hopefully heading over to Brisbane at the end of April... His new employer doesnt think that he needs to change his licence over, but when we received the job offer a condition is that you maintain a full qld licence?:err:

How long do you have to change over if your on a 457 visa in queensland?

My hubby is a mechanic and we are hopefully heading over to Brisbane at the end of April... His new employer doesnt think that he needs to change his licence over, but when we received the job offer a condition is that you maintain a full qld licence?:err:

Not sure how long you get on a 457 but you might as well get a Qld licence. Its easy to do & not expensive. And lots of places eg bank etc ask for ID so its just hassle free if you can hand over a Qld licence. Car insurance is cheaper too!

Can I ask do you have to do a practical and theory test again?

ping bloody pong !!!:wacko:

Not sure how long you get on a 457 but you might as well get a Qld licence. Its easy to do & not expensive. And lots of places eg bank etc ask for ID so its just hassle free if you can hand over a Qld licence. Car insurance is cheaper too!

do not change your licence if you are on a 457 wait till pr cos if piggy stops you ,you cant lose any demerit points cos you have none

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Not in WA, just an eye test, have a picture taken, pay your money, and you are sent your license in the mail.

do not change your licence if you are on a 457 wait till pr cos if piggy stops you ,you cant lose any demerit points cos you have none

Not quite correct there, if you are stopped and get a fine you are put on their system.

Then when you get your new licence (WA) all of those points are waiting for you - how nice is that.

Guest ABCDiamond

Not in any State now.

If a PR doesn't have an Australian licence within 3 months, they can be done by the Police for driving without a valid licence.

However, the Motor Transport department are not worred about it themselves, so they will not say anything even if you rock up a few months, or years, late.... :)

But.... No licence also means No insurance in many cases, so it can be very costly in the event of an accident, when your insurer says they won't pay up.

If an Employer insists on an Australian Licence, then it is worth getting one, if you want the job :)

So back to my question......How do you get a licence in queensland? just pay or a test?

ping bloody pong !!!:wacko:

Guest ABCDiamond
So back to my question......How do you get a licence in queensland? just pay or a test?

As long as you have a valid UK licence, you just pay, no test, other than an eye test :)