More Bushfires

AnxiousMum

Yup that's right. There are still 3 or 4 burning out of control at the moment but they are not in areas where there is property to worry about. They have been trying to put in containment lines while the weather hasnt been so tricky. Some of the other big ones are controlled but if the weather does what they think it will then there will be a chance that they will jump the lines and pose a risk again. It's a difficult situation because what they need for the fires is good rain but because of the areas which have been burnt out, the risks from good rain would be horrific as well - there would likely be mudslides and floods as the rain would gush down the unvegetated hill sides. Ghastly whichever way you look at it.

Guest proud2beaussie

I think (HOPE!) that they are just being very cautious and making sure people are ready,as far as I am aware the temperatures forecast are not going to be as extreme as a few weeks ago and hopefully that means that there will be less chance of hot north winds to start fires

Edited to add-just looked at the Herald site and to be honest having been through 46 degrees a few weeks ago I don't think 36 is anywhere near as dangerous,but it is good that they are warning of potential for dry thunderstorms,please cross everything you have that we dont get any.!

PLEASE !.

Edited to add:

5.25 PM, I have just had a look at the fire situation map on this website:

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenfoe.nsf/LinkView/504ED89232E8FF54CA25755F0015B056992B648F0F3BE6D0CA2573B400017907

and it looks quite dangerous for several towns around Kilmore East and warburton.

Pray that there is no wind change.

Guest proud2beaussie

Just wanted to let everybody know about the latest news on fires that are still burning across Victoria.I had hoped that things wouldn't be as bad this week but it appears that if the wind changes then anything could happen.

Here's hoping that nothing more goes wrong,I hope everybody is prepared.

Residents flee Warburton as winds fuel bushfire | PerthNow

RESIDENTS of another Victorian town are fleeing this morning as strong winds push fire towards their homes - sparking fears of a repeat of Black Saturday.

Residents of Warburton have been ordered to flee this morning, with the town facing serious bushfire threats.

The owner of Warburton newsagency Lindsay Jahn said he believed up to 60 pr 70 per cent of Warburton residents had already fled.

Mr Jahn's newsagency was still open but most other shops in the main street were closed. The resident of eight years said the town was eerily quiet.

"The biggest issue for people has been trying to make decisions in time," Mr Jahn said.

"I hope the tragic fires of two weeks ago have made people more decisive."

Residents are fleeing their homes as strong winds fan bushfire down into Warburton valley.

Shops have signs in the windows saying they are closed due to fires, while traffic out of the town is building.

Fire authorities said severe fire weather was predicted for today and people in the Warburton/Yarra Valley area and near Enoch Point should be prepared.

Country Fire Authority State Duty Officer Neil Bumpstead said people wishing to leave should go this morning.

"We cannot stress enough that with limited road access in the Warburton Valley, traffic may become congested," Mr Bumpstead said.

"Being on the roads is dangerous during a fire threat."

Fire authorities have warned of extreme forest fire danger in the Mallee and very high fire danger across the state ahead of temperatures in the high 30s today and later this week.

Many of my work colleagues are up there at the moment, some evacuated and others keeping a close eye on their houses. We have had some welcome coole weather since the fires started, and they have helped the firefighters for sure, but it is very windy in Melbourne today, Mon, and we keep our fingers crossed.

Guest proud2beaussie
Many of my work colleagues are up there at the moment, some evacuated and others keeping a close eye on their houses. We have had some welcome coole weather since the fires started, and they have helped the firefighters for sure, but it is very windy in Melbourne today, Mon, and we keep our fingers crossed.

Hi Olly,

All you can do is pray that you don't get a strong wind change which drives the fire towards Warburton.

Good Luck.

PS : Would you believe my neighbour who is a police seargent was just here having a coffee and we heard on his radio that they have charged some d**k head for throwing cigarette butts out his car window in Kinglake.:policeman:

Guest The Pom Queen

There has been a warning put out for Upwey in the Dandenong Ranges.

An alert message has also been issued for the communities of Tecoma, Belgrave Heights, Belgrave South, Lysterfield and Narre Warren East who have been told to be aware of increased fire activity in the area

Guest proud2beaussie

There appear to be spot fires starting in lots of places in the East of Melbourne,I urge any PIO members in areas that are even anywhere near these places to have your radio on constantly and be listening for any alert messages.

Please take extra care.

N'OZ

Well, last night was late to bed & early up, just worrying about what might happen while you sleep.

My boss dashed off at 3pm yesterday arvo to pick up the kids after school (she lives in Upwey) and another girl at work dissappeared early because her childs Kindy was evacuated.

Here in Monbulk we were not too worried at any time, but you could tell every time the wind had changed with more or less smoke, and you could smell the smoke very strongly for quite a while when it moved north west.

I think Friday will be the day that a lot of people will be paying very close attention to the fire situation around here. Hot temperatures & stronger winds having been forecast.

There has been a warning put out for Upwey in the Dandenong Ranges.

An alert message has also been issued for the communities of Tecoma, Belgrave Heights, Belgrave South, Lysterfield and Narre Warren East who have been told to be aware of increased fire activity in the area

Jessica & Steve have definitely had an interesting start to their new life in Oz :biggrin:

I was chatting with them last night, and they have secured a rental in Wandin, which is towards Warburton direction, and was on alert yesterday with very heavy smoke. They move in a couple of weeks, so lets hope all has settled by then for them,

Jessica & Steve have definitely had an interesting start to their new life in Oz :biggrin:

I was chatting with them last night, and they have secured a rental in Wandin, which is towards Warburton direction, and was on alert yesterday with very heavy smoke. They move in a couple of weeks, so lets hope all has settled by then for them,

I know the feeling, we moved into our rental in Warrandyte the day before the fires started, it was like the hokey cokey house for a week we were in and out like yo yo's. The wind really got up again yesterday and it seems more is forcast for Friday so lets keep our fingers crossed that it is not as bad as they expect.

regards

Michelle

I have just worked overnight in Kilysth, one of the suburbs on the Dandenong Ranges rim on the other side of Upwey, and the smoke billowing across that area last night was awful. They appear to have it under control at the moment, but how about the poor woman who was evacuating the Upwey/Belgrave fire and pulled into a petrol station in Emerald to fill up a petrol can and it exploded, she had to make a run for it, but the petrol station blew up and her car was destroyed with all her possessions in it. How did that Upwey fire start I wonder????? Mmmm

Archived