Internet providers

Guest MandyJayne

Guest MandyJayne

Can anyone recommend a good internet provider, maybe wireless if possible? I need good internet for my job as i work from home but all the wireless internet i have experienced at friends houses have been rubbish and totally overpriced!!! Is it possible to get a good internet service for less than $100 a month??

Thanks

I have just signed up with OPus for $59.99 , That give me 15Gb a month and there is no charge over that amount, they just slow the service down.

Telstra and Optus seem to be the biggest ISP's in the Melbourne area. Telstra have a good reputation and cover just about everywhere, so are good if you are travelling a lot. You can check if Optus can service your home on their website. I have been advised not to go with Virgin or Vodaphone, but I don't know.

Connections are definitely more costly over here, so it pays to look for the package deals.

Guest The Pom Queen

We have telstra at home and 3 in the rental. On 3 you only get 6 gig and it is $39 a month (they were doing an offer where it was half price but not sure if this is still on) To be honest though if your running a business you may go over the 6 gig quite quickly.

I have just signed up with OPus for $59.99 , That give me 15Gb a month and there is no charge over that amount, they just slow the service down.

Telstra and Optus seem to be the biggest ISP's in the Melbourne area. Telstra have a good reputation and cover just about everywhere, so are good if you are travelling a lot. You can check if Optus can service your home on their website. I have been advised not to go with Virgin or Vodaphone, but I don't know.

Connections are definitely more costly over here, so it pays to look for the package deals.

We have the Optus $59.99 15gb deal too, and so far no problems.

Guest slipshot

If you are working from home, do you need wireless out and about ot just wireless at home? If the latter, then just get any ISP and a wireless router (or buy one from the company and they'll set it up for you) and you'll be fine.

I'm with TPG and for $60 a month get 70 gb a month (35 on peak and 35 off peak) at ADSL2+ speeds. 15gb would never suffice for me and it's far cheaper than the usual suspects like Optus, Telstra etc. Telstra are like BT - lots of options but rarely the best service or price so there are many others you should look at, and not the usual culprits!

We have the Optus $59.99 15gb deal too, and so far no problems.

I was in an Optus shop after waiting 3 weeks for Pigpond to tell me that they could not connect me to landline ADSL...coz the nearest exchange ( Wyong) has no free ADSL slots!

Theres no cable here, our "new" AV Jenning develpoment ( who's sales agent said, Oh yea, Broadband..no problems here ) has only been going for more than 6 years! Welcome to the Central Coast NSW

Optus could only offer WiFi broadband @ $59.99 for 6 gigs...and the clock in uploads as well! They did suggest that I could buy 2 packages and when the limit was hit on "line 1" to plug in the second modem for the other 6 gigs - thus "matching Telstra WiFi set up!.

No mention of 15gig WiFi at $59.99.

Will try them again tomorrow.

As a (whinging) pom, the aussie ISP's are all con merchants!

UK ISP can offer in excess of the pathetic 12gig from Testra et al for the equivelent of $20 a month!

We have Optus and are paying $129 a month, however we found it well worth it as its unlimited internet usage (although goes slower after 30gb but that is a lot!). this also covers the phone line which has free calls to all australian mobiles and landlines plus for an extra 5 dollars a months for the worldwide package so we can speak to UK for 2c a minute I think. Hope this helps. We went for Optus as we had been told that Telstra took a long time to install and can be frustrating to get in touch with and we needed it asap.

Guest julesem

Used 3 wireless, lets just say customer service not good had to go to ombudsman eventually.

Have had TPG for a year nearly, excellant, have never had any problems. Found out about them in a Money magazine. Every year they do an issue on best buys of various products, and thats how I found out about TPG.

Julie

Guest MandyJayne
If you are working from home, do you need wireless out and about ot just wireless at home? If the latter, then just get any ISP and a wireless router (or buy one from the company and they'll set it up for you) and you'll be fine.

I'm with TPG and for $60 a month get 70 gb a month (35 on peak and 35 off peak) at ADSL2+ speeds. 15gb would never suffice for me and it's far cheaper than the usual suspects like Optus, Telstra etc. Telstra are like BT - lots of options but rarely the best service or price so there are many others you should look at, and not the usual culprits!

Hi slipshot, what is ISP? Do we have to have a phone line for this? That sounds like a really good deal but we don't know whether we need to get a landline or not, people are telling us different things. I am only working casually at home but between the two of us i am guessing we get through a lot of GBs.

Thanks!

Archived