Form 80 nightmare for spouse visa application!

Guest lesleyc73

Guest lesleyc73

I have read in a number of posts on this forum where some people on hindsight had wished they've been told about completing Form 80 beforehand as apparently it seemed to be requested from the CO days after the de-facto spouse visa application is lodged.

I would like to know is this true that Form 80 is requred? We are about to lodge the de-facto spouse visa application and this Form 80 is really stressing us out in a number of ways:

1) It requires the applicant to provide details of every single country he has visited (incl. short stays) OUTSIDE Australia in the last 10 years. My British partner who is the applicant has made countless trips across Europe being an EU citizen it's almost impossible to list every single trip because he can't even remember all of them!

2) It requires the applicant to provide details of every single employer he has worked with after he has left school. My partner has been doing IT contracting for many years. This means has worked with numerous agencies on contracting assignments or varying lengths with more well-known IT firms. Whilst the "host" companies he is assigned to do contract work for are typically large and very famous, he is paid by these staffing agencies which are small. Some don't even exist anymore (closed down or merged or whatever). Also, he no longer has records of the employment periods for every single agency he has been attached to for contract assignments, so it's impossible to list every single agency and their contact details and the length of employment. What can we do about this? We just can't track down the information any more.

Any advice will be appreciated, this form is causing us to tear our hair out!

Thanks.

Guest Furball

There is a checklist available from the immi site which has "completed form 80" on it... and all the info i have gleaned indicated that we have to fill one in.

I have the same issue with the travel. I have done a lot all over europe for work - 3 countries in one week sometimes... and the lack of stamps is a real issue. I've listed everything i can remember/find and hope that as there are so many there, they wont mind if a few are missing!

Guest vixpinkbabe

Hi Lesley,

Just wanted to say we had the same problem - well, my partner did.

He had visited Australia 12 times cos his parents used to live there, and also Bahrain loads cos his sister lives out there. So it was a nightmare! We had to trawl through his passport, which was full of stamps :( Altho you dont get stamps from Europe do you? :(:( Perhaps you can roughly guess the dates?

Good luck, Vicky xxxx

Guest vixpinkbabe
There is a checklist available from the immi site which has "completed form 80" on it... and all the info i have gleaned indicated that we have to fill one in.

I have the same issue with the travel. I have done a lot all over europe for work - 3 countries in one week sometimes... and the lack of stamps is a real issue. I've listed everything i can remember/find and hope that as there are so many there, they wont mind if a few are missing!

Hi Furball,

I noticed that u have had your medicals done recently... have they been finalised yet? Mine will get to Sydney on Monday and just wondering how long this finalsation takes at the moment?

Many thanks, Vicky xxxxxx

Yes, make sure you take form 80 to your interview.

I understand where you're coming from - with regards to the places he's visited: I just put approximate dates and the country, ie Spain, June 2001 (2 weeks) and it seemed to suffice. I know I missed a few out - just try and list as many as you can.

• 1 year later...
Guest sydney86

Hey Guys...

This is probably a really silly question but who has to fill out the form, the sponsor or the applicant?? Im the applicant fromt he UK and we're applying in Australia...

Also, probably another silly question...... on the first page of form 80 it asks what visa you're applying for... temporary .. permanent or protection. I know i'm not applying for a protection visa but im applying for the de-facto visa ... I assume as it's the first part I tick 'further temporary stay' or do i tick 'permanent' as this is all in the one application?

So confusin .. sorry!!

THANKS guys

Given that :

1) between EU countries they don't police the borders (UK excepted as it isn't in the schengen agreement),

2) until a few years ago they just visually inspected and didn't scan your british passport at european borders,

3) there are no records/stamps in your passport and airlines never used to record passport numbers,

you could pretty much invent your european travel and DIAC would have absolutely no way of knowing. I wouldn't worry toooo much about recording every single little european trip.

It's probably better that your partner puts down the dates of trips he remembers and adds a note that he travelled extensively and this is a best guess, rather than 'invent' a different travel history.. (Same goes for his career).

Pretty certain that it's a permanent visa you're applying for too. (for the purposes of this form).

You don't until they ask for it.. Some embassiess (New Zealand and Berlin and the HR countries - off the top of my head) state that the form is a requirement for all applications. Am not sure about onshore Australia..

• 2 years later...

I didn't have to do a form 80 for my original partner visa but I did when it went to permanent, as I think the requirements have changed and pretty much everyone now has to do a form 80. I had the same issue with regard to a British passport and EU travel - I just put approximate dates and put a note at the bottom to say it was my best guess and may not include all European travel.

Archived