Window Cleaner

Ses

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Sarah

We got a quote and it was something stupid, can't remember exact figure but I know it was approx $250. Long gone are the days when you could just give the window cleaner 10 pound for cleaning all the windows in the UK

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh drat, umm ok they charge $20 a house and can I book you in for the year lol:biglaugh:

No seriously, if he charges a reasonable figure people would jump at the chance but because it is so expensive everyone does there own or not in our case :rolleyes:

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh goy Sarah, I don't know, maybe have a poll on here and get peoples ideas. If it was $50 I would have it done tomorrow, if it was $100 then I would have to think about it and wouldn't get it done as often. $30 I would have it done every week.

I think you'd need a sliding scale - more for 2 storey (some of the 2 storey are huge and you'd need a very big ladder!!), less for smaller units. I'm just looking at my house (single story) and I have about 23 windows, about 9 of which are full length. I'm like Kate $50 I'd probably have it done, over that I'd have to think about it.

Guest John Sydney

get mine done in Sydney every 2-3 months about 10 windows 8ft x 12ft plus the glass rails about 20 18inches x 4ft

$150 each time

Problem is they get coated in Salt from the ocean so its not that easy as a quick wipe

Guest miggins

We had our windows cleaned when we first arrived. We live in Cheltenham, Vic, for 10 windows and patio doors inside and out it was $150. I was shocked when I called them and they said they would come out to give us a quote!! Had to have them done, they were filthy.

Guest zoensim

i would definately have them done too...its doing my head in looking out of these filthy windows...might have to think about doing em myself..one day

hi we havent seen a kind of window cleaner here in Doncaster East, i carnt believe how dirty the windows were when we moved in to our rental, In the uk i had a 4 bedroom Detached house with a conservatory and i paid 8.00 pounds roughly i would be happy to pay $30 for my windows cleaned , i live in a single story 4 bed bungalow(unit) here so let me know where your based and id be happy to get mine done too

Guest The Pom Queen

We are in a double storey and it was ridiculous money we were quoted we had a couple of quotes just found them in my email, one was for $450 and the cheapest $250. That was for indoors and out but I don't care about the indoors. Needless to say we have been in this house for 2 years now and never had the windows cleaned well not by a professional.

Hi Sarah and Colin,

If you get some leaflets printed, drop some into the Real Estate offices. You may pick up some work for the end/beginning of rental cleans if your prices are reasonable. Sometimes the tenants/owners just can't be bothered to do the cleaning themselves and ask the Rental Agents for recommendations. If your leaflet is there in front of them, they'll give your details out. That's where most of my work comes from.

Good luck.

T xx

Just for the record, our four bed detached in the UK cost us four quid a month. :cry:

Guest The Pom Queen

Tracey

That's a great idea. Hope your business is doing well. I could do with leaflets off both you and Colin to give to expats when they move over.

Kate

Guest Toorak Trev
I think you'd need a sliding scale - more for 2 storey (some of the 2 storey are huge and you'd need a very big ladder!!), less for smaller units. I'm just looking at my house (single story) and I have about 23 windows, about 9 of which are full length. I'm like Kate $50 I'd probably have it done, over that I'd have to think about it.

SES

Work out a rate per square metre of window - that will ensure you account for different sized windows.

Have a different rate for ground and multi levels (ie account for cost of ladder and subsequent costs ie health and safety, transporting of ladder on car etc)

Include costs for travel - recommend routeplanner to get distance and charge out based on rates from ATO. People like transparency and visibility - makes them feel the rate is fair.

Ensure they provide the water source (or charge them:biglaugh:)

Perhaps you could think of group bookings and provide discount (ie thinking about Kate and her properties - short term lets) multitude of other posters on here?

Once you have a few regulars ensure your routine or route is the most efficient.

I know my neighbour charges over two hundred dollars because a friend of mine had him do her windows but she thought it was money well spent.

You have to work out the costs, in UK the distances are not far and usually they work an area, here my neighbour could be in Toorak one day, Kilsyth the next his clients are all over the city and it costs in time and petrol to get to the houses or businesses.

In my view fifty dollars would not be worth it with the add on costs of insurance etc

He also has his own tank of water which he takes around due to water restrictions now.

If you can get a small area within ten minutes then you can charge less but I do not believe that its possible here. Australians do not have a culture of cleaning windows. I do my own and I must admit I do them a lot more often than my aussi kiwi friends.

Guest Michele
Hi Kate,

Hope you are well.

Happy to send you some leaflets/business cards/fridge magnets, whatever. I'll pm you tomorrow and we can sort something out.

T xx

Have you got a website Tracey? if so you could PM me it...

Picking up on Traceys point, just one week after handing in our notice on our rental we were swamped with post and letters from cleaners, window cleaners, carpet cleaning etc. So they must find out somehow through the real estate agents as to whom has given notice.

• 3 years later...

Ses, just seen this post I know its from way back but just wondered if you ever set up window cleaning an how you got on? I am moving to brisbane in december and was thinking about doing the same thing so any info you could give me on window cleaning in australia would be brilliant.

thanks

Martin

Archived