South African's in UK moving to OZ

Guest heidi1234

Guest heidi1234

Hi there

I was wondering if there are any South African's who immigrated here years ago and are now looking at or already in the process of moving to OZ?

We can use this thread to help each each other with questions that might be slightly different to those for the British moving to OZ.

We moved here to the UK in 2003 as my husband had a job transfer. But we miss the hot weather, big open spaces, wildlife, and large houses. Living in OZ wil be very close to living in SA, just without all the terrible crime.

Ask questions here, share your thoughts or get to know some other South Africans in the same boat as you..

Chat soon and look forward to chatting...

HJ:wubclub:

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Heidi

We are South Africans,moved here in 2006 and we are in the process of emigrating.Hubby has just completed his electrical trade assessment,now we are waiting for his results and planning to lodge visa application in November this year.We also miss the weather and wide open spaces and the braais.We definitly miss the big houses.I agree with with that the next best thing to South Africa is Australia. We are in Doncaster.We have 4 boys aged 14,9,5 and 2.

Where are you planning to go in Australia? We plan to start off in SA but that will depend on work situation.

PM me to keep in touch

Regards

Mylady

Hi Heidi

I'm new to pominoz and wanted to introduce myself.

Thanks for your post, we're also South Africans and have lived in the UK for the past 9 years...and we where never staying!

With a bit of luck we'll be heading to sunny Australia in the near future, just playing the 'waiting game' and preparing to complete our outstanding 'bits ie. IELTS (hubby), Police Clearances x 2 & Medicals x 3.

It will be good to swap notes as we go along.

Cheers for now, Nicki

Guest chellynel

Hi All,

My hubby is South African and we moved in June 08 - after 10 years in UK (for him) and 13 years (for me) I am Australian ..but we both feel like "Poms" ...well we are both half Pom !! Our son is a SaffaPomAussie !!

My advice would be don't do the SA Police clearance too soon....I did ours WAY in advance and then I didn't realise they would take the date we needed to enter Oz on that date it was stamped...so hubby had to fly to Oz for 3 days ...when our baby was 6 weeks old !! DOH !! and of course the boiler broke in the middle of winter whilst he was away !!

Give me a shout if you need any info !

Guest chellynel

Ohh also...

Just be careful when getting ur police clearance as then you only have 11 months to enter Australia from the date it was granted !!! We got caught out on that one !!

Very expensive 4 day round trip to Oz for hubby to activate the Aussie Visa ....a few months before we were really ready to go !!

Hi Heidi1234, There are many SA'ffrs in Oz and on this forum. Been now 3 years in Perth. Love it to pieces. Perhaps you would like to visit the SA forum at: SAAustralia Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Unfortunately some comments may be in Afrikaans but 80% will be in english.

In general everyone fits in well. There are now quite a few on a 457Visas who has been retrenched due to the economic downturn - and could not find a new sponsor in 28-days and had to return. Less than 1% wants to return, not to say that they don't miss their families and loved ones, but we realise that being able to immigrate is a previllige...and will do almost anything to make it work.

Guest heidi1234

Hi all

Thanks for your posts. I'm worried about this police check. Someone said we have to get a SA check if we've lived here less than 10 years. They useless in SA, especialy when it's documents needed.

Anyone know anything about this?

HJ

Guest chellynel
Hi all

Thanks for your posts. I'm worried about this police check. Someone said we have to get a SA check if we've lived here less than 10 years. They useless in SA, especialy when it's documents needed.

Anyone know anything about this?

HJ

Have you got anyone in South Africa that can lodge the application for you ? We couriered all our documents to my Hubby's brother in Pretoria and he lodged it for us....and then couriered it back to us. (Worth the extra money :arghh:) but just allow enough time ...so you don't get caught out like us with a short-timeframe to enter Oz....

I think that the forms were just on the South African Website..from memory ..but I will look thru old emails to confirm if thats different.

Hi Heidi,

You'll need to get Police Clearance's from any country you have live in for 12 months or more in the past 10 years...Which means for me both SA & the UK. We have been making enquiries and New Scotland Yard will do our Fingerprints (for SA Clearances) for a fee of £60.00 each (prices go up in April to £62.00 each). Apparently you might be able to find a Police Station that does it for 'free' but I've yet to find one.

We also got a quote from a company based in the UK that will do the whole courier & collection thing in SA for £170.00 for a couple (or £140.00 for 1 certificate). So, we're looking into family doing it for us, it's crazy money!

Cheers, Nicki

Howzit!

Just thought I would say hellooooo being another South African on this site. I have been on the site for a fair while and have had loads of help from everyone here it has been great!!! My hubby and I moved to the UK 18 years ago and we are now heading out to Oz in the next couple of months. If I can help anyone with questions please do not hesitate to ask ... !! Wishing you all lots of luck with process of applying for yours visas it is one hell of a ride full of ups and downs but worth it at the end.

All the best,

Nikci

Guest Sharmaine

Just to say Hi, I am also South African, lived in the UK with my 'rooinek' husband and kids for 9 years and moved to OZ in Nov 07. We lived in Adelaide until January 09 when we moved to Perth due to hubby's work. Happy to help, if I can, with any queries or advice.

Guest heidi1234
Hi Heidi

I'm new to pominoz and wanted to introduce myself.

Thanks for your post, we're also South Africans and have lived in the UK for the past 9 years...and we where never staying!

With a bit of luck we'll be heading to sunny Australia in the near future, just playing the 'waiting game' and preparing to complete our outstanding 'bits ie. IELTS (hubby), Police Clearances x 2 & Medicals x 3.

It will be good to swap notes as we go along.

Cheers for now, Nicki

Hi Nicki

Welcome to Pomsinoz!

Sounds like you haven't got too long to wait now. Did you have to do a police clearance with SA?. Im not looking forward to that part.

I wish things would move faster for us now. Im really gatvol of this place and the yobby kids who have cause so much grief for us.

Take care and chat soon

HJX

Hello All,

I am a South African who first went to the UK then onto Aus. I am now a Registered Migration Agent. I have offices in both Cape Town and Melbourne.

I'm always happy to help so feel free to PM me if you need any assistance.

Hi Stephen,

Since you are in the business in both SA & OZ I thought you might know the answer to this:

We've heard from a friend 'who's heard via the grapevine' that the SAP now also accept scanned fingerprints, the same as we would need to do for our UK Police Clearance's - is this true? I doubt very much (as this would make things too easy) but wanted to ask someone who might know.

I don't have the time or patience to call the SAP direct...;-)

Many Thanks, Nicki

Guest Mike&lou

Hi everyone,im also like you all SAFFA living in uk,I have been here for 5 years now and my wife is english. Im an electrician and i am probably 85% complete with my immigrtation process,waiting for case officer and police check,have already applied for south african ones.

All the police checks and medicals are only valid for 12mnths from date of stamp,thats english and south african. I have found a south african guy south woodfrod (london) that does the police checks,120 and it takes about 6 weeks.pm me for details

We are looking to either go to perth 1st choice or qeeunsland brisbane area 2nd choice all depends on the licensing for me as this is a absolute pain in the arse and takes forever...

It is so sad the state of south africa as it is a beautiful country and is just getting sinsed by the people in power. hopefully australia will live up to all our expectations and dreams..

Guest lisabella

Hi all...

I am also a Saffer and hubby British... been here 6 1/2 years, which has been great... but miss the sun... we move to Melbourne this Sunday.... yay!!!!

Lisa x

Wow there sure are alot of Saffas on here. I'm Zimbabwean but seeing us EVERYONE thinks its South AFrica, I thought I would introduce myself too. I've been in Oz for 4 and a half years with hubby (Irish) and two kids. Was in the UK for 4 years prior to this. Miss Africa like crazy this place just doesn't compare, just something missing, guess its family. Wish I could go home. Most South Africans seen to settle quite well though, as not much of a culture shock.

Guest lisabella

Thanks Chillibeas sweetie,

million emotions...excited...scared...happy..worrried...

i will let u know how it is going...and my thoughts on Melbourne...where r u guys hoping to settle?

And to everyone else... good luck xxx

lisa and marcus xx

Guest lisabella
let us know how you get on over there,and good luck!!!!

deffs will do... thanks...

where r u guys hoping to settle? We had the option to settle anywhere... I chose Melborne, and am obviously hoping it was the right one... am always curious on where everyone else has chosen and why...:goofy:

Archived