Construction work in Australia

Guest bowbrum03

Guest Working to fish
So Eddie what do you reckon...my hubby is a groundworker and has been for 25 years,he does all sorts, block paving, kerb laying, drainage and has a ticket for driving machines (large and small) up until 4/5 months ago he was being told no prob you'll find work. we are heading to Rockingham/Mandurah (south of perth). My Aunt who has lived their all her life still insists there are jobs about and that we won't struggle. I work in admin and reception at a private hospital so push comes to shove I can work full time and he can look after the kids!!!

Do you think we are mad to give up all we have here and head for Australia (I was born in Perth-so returning home!). We really are not bothered about starting from scratch - we haven't got much here anyway!!

You honest opinion would be nice.

Sue :wacko:

1st off i know sod all about perth

Only you can answer the qustion you are asking ,how much do you want to go to oz ,how much are you giveing up .I dont think you are mad to head for oz ,you may land on your feet and find work straight away or you may not , can you manage with out work for some time ,this only you can answer .We gave up a good life to step into the unknown ,it worked for us so far . At the end of the day go with what is right for you ,sod what any one else has to say.

Honest opinion.

eddie

Guest bowbrum03
A bold statement, can't wait for replies

Yes Aldo a very bold statement

If you are any good you will find work and be ok, if you are a chancer with no balls stay in the UK

Can you tell me where this work is, I don’t mean a couple of days here and a couple there, for one or two workers.

But a substantial amount of work that will last.

If you can then, I will pass the information on to the people I know who are very good workers.

I will look forward to your contacts.

Guest jogrant3232

Try OZPOST for an opener, but is this another case of hand it to me on a plate ???

Yes Aldo a very bold statement

Can you tell me where this work is, I don’t mean a couple of days here and a couple there, for one or two workers.

But a substantial amount of work that will last.

If you can then, I will pass the information on to the people I know who are very good workers.

I will look forward to your contacts.

I have just relocated a family, the guy was a painter and has secured full time work within 10 days of arriving ( i had already sourced the vacancies prior to his arrival). There is still quite a few vacancies out there and thats just searching Brisbane , i havnt looked at Gold Coast or Sunny coast, for Brisbane alone Seek currently has 35 vacancies and career one 80 vacancies. With the new goverment grant, lots and lots of schools are being re painted which has boosted work for painters in and around Brisbane.

Some trades are suffering, brickies and carpenters along with electricians seem to be hit harder than most, i do agree with some of these posts that work is still available out there for most, it may mean broadening your search but there is still stuff out there.

One of the guys that stayed with me a few months ago is a plumber, his wife doesn't work as they have 4 children,not all school age yet. He is obviously hitting brick walls at the moment because of the plumbing licences, in the meantime he has secured work cutting grass and gardening,,,at least its a job and it pays the bills!

Cal

Guest matt&dan

Matt is a brickie and been with same firm for a year but they are laying both Aussies & English brickies off & due to the rain & not much work he has not done a full week since Christmas. The other week he was getting a phone call the night before letting him know if he was needed the next day which is not good when you have bills to pay and only 1 income.

Matts firm also used to pay them extra if they travelled towards Brisbane but they have cut that out now.

Guest The Pom Queen

We have relocated lots of tradies and non of them have had any problems finding a job in fact they have been able to choose which job THEY want. If there are any brickies, etc that are struggling to get a job in Melbourne give me a shout.

Guest bowbrum03
If you are any good you will find work and be ok, if you are a chancer with no balls stay in the UK

Try OZPOST for an opener, but is this another case of hand it to me on a plate ???

I don’t think anybody, all over the world expects to find a job handed too them on plate, unless you was born with a silver spoon in you mouth.

I personally am not looking for a job (well not yet anyway) I am a contracts manager and I am in an unfortunate situation of having to lay workers off.

I have a list of trades who are looking for work, and do you not think they have not tried every avenue.

Thank you for the tip; I will tell them about the OZ post im sure there will hundreds of construction jobs in there.:idea:

I notice you too are in Perth, but you have still not said where all these jobs are. And referring to your other comment ‘if you are a chancer with no balls stay in the uk’. I have yet to meet one with no balls :frown:

I see a lot of posts saying go and look at seek, career, and the rest of the job agency’s out their.

But I would love too know the ratio of the amount of people that apply and those who actually get a job. People don’t realize the amount of construction workers looking for work, or any other job for that matter it is frightening

I have a friend who works for an agency, and a lot of the time they just like too collect resumes.

Like I said in my opening post the only city not to be affected at the moment is Melbourne. Or is it Melbourne you are on about, where the work is ?

Guest tommo1965

Ive got a job for a brickie in perth if anyones intrested, Ive been here 20 years and work for a upmarket builder, Ive seen many bom and bust's here in perth, but unlike the UK the busts dont last as long and the BOOM lasted 6 years or more...the rudd goverment is doing the right thing over here, so it aint all bad news..better to be out of work on the beach than in the snow ??

Guest lovediving

Hi,

Just want to say thanks for adding the post to the Tradies post, hopefully others will follow your lead.

regards

Ive got a job for a brickie in perth if anyones intrested, Ive been here 20 years and work for a upmarket builder, Ive seen many bom and bust's here in perth, but unlike the UK the busts dont last as long and the BOOM lasted 6 years or more...the rudd goverment is doing the right thing over here, so it aint all bad news..better to be out of work on the beach than in the snow ??

Guest tommo1965

no worries. I think its a good initiative. and if I do take a pom on, at least we can talk about how bad the pubs are in perth ..LOL

no worries. I think its a good initiative. and if I do take a pom on, at least we can talk about how bad the pubs are in perth ..LOL

You wont be laughing if Earslwood decides to come back and applies,lol He can out talk anyone about life in Perth,lol

Thanks for mentioning your job vacancy hope it can help a PIO member.

Cal x

Guest bowbrum03

That’s great news, let’s hope things are picking up, and the thousands out of work will be ok soon.How many vacancies do you have?

Guest tommo1965

only one at the moment. but perth is like that, its made up of hundreds of small teams like mine,

its nothing like the UK where you have massive gangs of trowels building whole estates,

Guest tommo1965

there isnt really anything like that in Australia, as the way they do things here is very different, over there you have one builder that develops a estate, and a site agent will run the site...here buliders sell form a display to customers that already have thier land,

what we do have here is a "Building supervisor" they look after about 20 t0 30 houses that are in in different stages, and all at different locations....

they organise the trades, and order the next stage of materials from the builders office for the next round of subbies that will work on the house......

but after all that I dont know what the ACT is like for work at the moment ...

Guest lovediving
Gee, sorry for all the other tradies but from my perspective it's all a bit Tony the Tiger GGGGrrrrrrreeeeeaaaaatttttt

:smile:

Good for you, let's hope the bubble dosn't burst.

Guest bowbrum03
Gee, sorry for all the other tradies but from my perspective it's all a bit Tony the Tiger GGGGrrrrrrreeeeeaaaaatttttt

:smile:

Don’t get this post, what dose it mean?

Guest lovediving
Don’t get this post, what dose it mean?

The kellogs frosties ad with the tiger. He is saying he is doing OK and dosn't have any problems.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hungadunga
If you are thinking of coming to OZ and are in the construction industry, here is my honest view on the situation first hand.

This is based on Perth and Brisbane, But I understand Sydney and WA are the same

Painters: Lots and lots of painters out of work. ( If you want to know why this is I will tell you)

Ground workers: Nothing to start, unless you can find the odd swimming pool. No road work jobs either.

Roofers: No roofing jobs, May find the odd domestic roof, But up against a lot of other quotes.

Bricklayers: Very hard to find work, lucky if you get 2 days per week.

Carpenters: Very hard to find work, Lucky if you get 2 days per week.

All types of plasterers: Seems to be work at the moment, but will go the same way as bricklayers.

Plumbers: Work out there, but will need to retrain, could start to go tight tho.

Electricians: Work available, but will need to retrain.

Wall and floor tillers: The best trade for finding work, seems too be plenty going on due too domestic work.

Are things realy that bad,

I noticed you say carpenter lucky too get 2 days work.

Do you have any job contacts please.

Joe

Guest Guest26012
Is there any chance of saying that again, but in English.:confused:

You need some lessons in Yorkshire talk, fat fingers, no glasses and coopers pale ale then you may understand the text! If you dont then hard lines, ignore it but dont stalk!!! :no:

• 2 months later...

This is how it is !

I have been in melbourne 4years made redundant 5weeks ago

I have applied for 84 so called vacancies 2interviews 5 replies

If you want to believe the you never know if you try brigade that you can just come and somthing will turn up just be sure you are prepared and have a fair wedge of cash behind you, especially 457 visas and permanent as you will have 2 yr wait period for help ie dole.

I spoke to one recruitment manager today she told me she had 114 resmes for one crappy cabinet maker job $17 per hour she also said in confidence 60% of jobs have already been taken on the job-seeking websites.

As a apprentice trained carpenter joiner having spent 25 years working in uk and many eu countries believe me IT COUNTS FOR JACK SHT!

Aussies will always stick with their own [ Who can blame them look at the mess we have made back home]

I dont want to be mr doom & gloom but it needs to be said the work situation is dire & it is going to get alot worse.

A lot of my friends are now worried for jobs and are on 3/4 days a week.

Moving here is a big enough challenge even when you are working, I had a job to come to and a fair amount of money which i have held onto (phew) do your research read the ozzy newspapers look at the job forcast for this country but do not believe all the i love it in oz poms who just say go for it, I actually like living here kids are settled, but feel for new people on the way, especially in the building trade. for all those that have work in uk in the building industry i would say stay where you are and wait until it picks up here, Australia will still be here.

Archived