Construction work in Australia

Guest bowbrum03

Guest bowbrum03

If you are thinking of coming to OZ and are in the construction industry, here is my honest view on the situation first hand.

This is based on Perth and Brisbane, But I understand Sydney and WA are the same

Painters: Lots and lots of painters out of work. ( If you want to know why this is I will tell you)

Ground workers: Nothing to start, unless you can find the odd swimming pool. No road work jobs either.

Roofers: No roofing jobs, May find the odd domestic roof, But up against a lot of other quotes.

Bricklayers: Very hard to find work, lucky if you get 2 days per week.

Carpenters: Very hard to find work, Lucky if you get 2 days per week.

All types of plasterers: Seems to be work at the moment, but will go the same way as bricklayers.

Plumbers: Work out there, but will need to retrain, could start to go tight tho.

Electricians: Work available, but will need to retrain.

Wall and floor tillers: The best trade for finding work, seems too be plenty going on due too domestic work.

Guest Working to fish

If you are thinking of coming to OZ and are in the construction industry, here is my honest view on the situation first hand.

This is based on Perth and Brisbane, But I understand Sydney and WA are the same

Painters: Lots and lots of painters out of work. ( If you want to know why this is I will tell you)

Ground workers: Nothing to start, unless you can find the odd swimming pool. No road work jobs either.

Roofers: No roofing jobs, May find the odd domestic roof, But up against a lot of other quotes.

Bricklayers: Very hard to find work, lucky if you get 2 days per week.

Carpenters: Very hard to find work, Lucky I you get 2 days per week.

All types of plasterers: Seems to be work at the moment, but will go the same way as bricklayers.

Plumbers: Work out there, but will need to retrain, could start to go tight tho.

Electricians: Work available, but will need to retrain.

Wall and floor tillers: The best trade for finding work, seems too be plenty going on due too domestic work.

THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR .

STAY WHERE YOU ARE ,oh sorry same as uk .

eddie

You will never know if you dont give it ago.

Work is hard to find ,yes thats true.

Am sure it,s hard all over the world at the mo.

:idea:

Guest bowbrum03
THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR .

STAY WHERE YOU ARE ,oh sorry same as uk .

eddie

You will never know if you dont give it ago.

Work is hard to find ,yes thats true.

Am sure it,s hard all over the world at the mo.

:idea:

What’s the point of giving it a go when you can’t find work.

As you have said and found out, work is very hard too find.

You spend thousands selling up and coming too OZ, and when you get here no work and your savings have gone.

The best time to come is when the dust has settled.

I have seen posts on here that people are going back because they can’t find work. A little expensive just to try it out

You spend thousands selling up and coming too OZ, and when you get here no work and your savings have gone.

I have seen posts on here that people are going back because they can’t find work. A little expensive just to try it out

Theres **** all in the uk and a **** load of slavs undercutting, same **** shinier shovel , if its that bad here go back.

Guest julie2g1b

i am so glad we have not gone yet as hubby a brickie and at least he has work going at the mo but if we had sold our house when we wanted to say 6 months ago would have been finding it very hard, at least this way we can try to save in the mean time do our house up a bit more put back on market then go once jobs start to pick up again.

we have 4yrs to get there and i am sure things will sort themselfs out in that time ........

julie :wubclub:

well im validating april/may, been told theres still work for brickies in adelaide but its slowing down,deffo not going over while all this is going on,then again im wondering now if its worth going at all if it takes a cpl of years to pick up, i cant risk our equity chasing a dream if theres no work,eddie is right in one way,but at least ive got contacts here,got work in perth if i want but dont fancy perth tbh

So Eddie what do you reckon...my hubby is a groundworker and has been for 25 years,he does all sorts, block paving, kerb laying, drainage and has a ticket for driving machines (large and small) up until 4/5 months ago he was being told no prob you'll find work. we are heading to Rockingham/Mandurah (south of perth). My Aunt who has lived their all her life still insists there are jobs about and that we won't struggle. I work in admin and reception at a private hospital so push comes to shove I can work full time and he can look after the kids!!!

Do you think we are mad to give up all we have here and head for Australia (I was born in Perth-so returning home!). We really are not bothered about starting from scratch - we haven't got much here anyway!!

You honest opinion would be nice.

Sue :wacko:

So Eddie what do you reckon...my hubby is a groundworker and has been for 25 years,he does all sorts, block paving, kerb laying, drainage and has a ticket for driving machines (large and small) up until 4/5 months ago he was being told no prob you'll find work. we are heading to Rockingham/Mandurah (south of perth). My Aunt who has lived their all her life still insists there are jobs about and that we won't struggle. I work in admin and reception at a private hospital so push comes to shove I can work full time and he can look after the kids!!!

Do you think we are mad to give up all we have here and head for Australia (I was born in Perth-so returning home!). We really are not bothered about starting from scratch - we haven't got much here anyway!!

How olds your aunt , admin work slow , as you should know construction is different here to the uk one builder buils an estate , here you buy your block and pick your builder. i have heard that new builds are being built a lot better with the slump less rush . On the plus side there are loads of flat blocks for a better term ( un built ) but how much work I dont know

Thanks for that..I think it is going to be pretty much as we have expected. may aunt is in her 50's plus as you say building is different out in OZ than here. I had to try and explain what a ground worker does!!! My uncle would be a better option to speak to (he did building for a number of years) but he is battling stomach cancer at the moment so I don't feel right asking him any questions.

I think we will take the plunge (too late now really as house is sold) we are both prepared to do whatever work wise (well nearly anything!!!)

Thanks for your reply.

Sue

Thanks for that..I think it is going to be pretty much as we have expected. may aunt is in her 50's plus as you say building is different out in OZ than here. I had to try and explain what a ground worker does!!! My uncle would be a better option to speak to (he did building for a number of years) but he is battling stomach cancer at the moment so I don't feel right asking him any questions.

I think we will take the plunge (too late now really as house is sold) we are both prepared to do whatever work wise (well nearly anything!!!)

Thanks for your reply.

Sue

Sorry for all that but ground workers , dont take it as kosher but I think they are in demand here still seen a couple of job ads ,I`m just an over academically qualified oik . Go for it you know the score , you will gwet a job easy as you are a aussie . Excuse the typin I have no glasses . beer boggles and fat fingers ,where in the big sand pit are your rellies we are in Kallaroo at the mo

Mally

Guest bowbrum03

Hi Sue, Honest opinion,

The thing is with block paving you don’t need to be qualified to do block paving, you will find most bricklayers, and builders will do this job. Then you have landscape gardeners that can also do this.

Same as drainage any builder will be able to do this.

Driving machines you will find a lot of these workers went to the mines, but are now returning, also a lot of labourers are returning from the mines to take a machine licence.

Hi Mally, that seems reassuring actually..I am sure he will find something. We will not have as much money as first planned as we took a drop on the value of house (£15,000), but we just wanted to get it sold.

Aunt lives in Balga and Uncle lives in "Brighton" (unsure of this one), My mum,bless her, is a bit blonde at times!!!! (he used to live in Brighton, UK 45 years ago). Still it will be nice coming back with the knowledge that I have relatives there.

Thanks for your honest replies.

Sue

Hi Mally, that seems reassuring actually..I am sure he will find something. We will not have as much money as first planned as we took a drop on the value of house (£15,000), but we just wanted to get it sold.

Aunt lives in Balga and Uncle lives in "Brighton" (unsure of this one), My mum,bless her, is a bit blonde at times!!!! (he used to live in Brighton, UK 45 years ago). Still it will be nice coming back with the knowledge that I have relatives there.

Thanks for your honest replies.

Sue

WEve just put a deposit down for a house at Brighton its a posh name for the extension of Butler Nor, I dont want to give advice to anyone you do what you want to do as a young guy of 50 buying a house here with no equity dur fta what the hell we would be the same in the uk thats my bag . I whinge about things but thats me ,I`d winge with a billion in the bank and all I want thats me , but if it is nipt nice where you are now what the hell if you are a\n aussie citizen you can get all the benefits . I have my moments here but Im an old fart any one with kids I would say go for it but be prepared for them to leave thr nest early for themselves

Maly

Well at 48 my OH is no-ones fool and works hard and always has done....he gets on with the job and gives 100%. He boss has already tried to convince him to stay put, but he is having none of it..he said he would do anything..street cleaner if needed (no offence to any street cleaners).

Mally, glad my mum not totally lost the plot about Brighton!!!!!

You have all given us a lot to think about.

Sue

If you are any good you will find work and be ok, if you are a chancer with no balls stay in the UK

I`m here and love it but your post total bollox ,the job market is shrinkin , I bet you wish your waistline was shrinkin as fast , whats your job , no bakls oh yuore tyhe rich **** with 5 containers , I work in a firm that supplies the resource industry ie wa`s economy , a lot of the firms tell us they are struggling engineering supplying the mines , it was 3 months ago flat out they were solid with work mnowe thay are comprting with each other for work . realism . and the domino effect will continue

mALLY

YOU TALK BOLLOX

Guest jogrant3232

Who said it wasnt shrinkin, all i said was if you were willing to get stuck in you would be ok, and still feel you will, if you think it will all fall on your lap then think again, and as for the talking bollox bit i think past posts will answer that

I`m here and love it but your post total bollox ,the job market is shrinkin , I bet you wish your waistline was shrinkin as fast , whats your job , no bakls oh yuore tyhe rich **** with 5 containers , I work in a firm that supplies the resource industry ie wa`s economy , a lot of the firms tell us they are struggling engineering supplying the mines , it was 3 months ago flat out they were solid with work mnowe thay are comprting with each other for work . realism . and the domino effect will continue

mALLY

YOU TALK BOLLOX

Who said it wasnt shrinkin, all i said was if you were willing to get stuck in you would be ok, and still feel you will, if you think it will all fall on your lap then think again, and as for the talking bollox bit i think past posts will answer that

Elucidate please , another 1000 comin back from the mines next week , what is your employment if you could say so we could find the jobs

Mally

I do understand what you are both saying and it is helpful.

Don't think my hubby agrees that 48 is a good age though!!!!

Hopefully be in Perth for Easter.

Thanks

Sue.

IM bloody 50 Nics 48 ( oh bugga i`m in bother now )

enjoy it buses hurt

Guest jogrant3232

i have no grand job nor do i chase a high profile job, i am a humble labourer just looking to earn a living, i am as i said well past 40 so not hear to make a fortune, but it is harder than when i visited 2 years previous, but if its a humble living you are after then there is still openings, if it it big house and all the big boys toys then it is very much harder

Elucidate please , another 1000 comin back from the mines next week , what is your employment if you could say so we could find the jobs

Mally

i have no grand job nor do i chase a high profile job, i am a humble labourer just looking to earn a living, i am as i said well past 40 so not hear to make a fortune, but it is harder than when i visited 2 years previous, but if its a humble living you are after then there is still openings, if it it big house and all the big boys toys then it is very much harder

Im pm you mate both on the right song sheets wrong page

Guest bowbrum03
Theres **** all in the uk and a **** load of slavs undercutting, same **** shinier shovel , if its that bad here go back.

Is there any chance of saying that again, but in English.:confused:

Archived