Are we doing the right thing????.....Sorry it's a long story

Guest jonseywife

Guest jonseywife

Ten years ago we moved down to Hastings from South London as we fell in love with it, and at the time it was the right thing to do for our kids but recently it has changed so much and the last year has been the final straw in us deciding to head for OZ!!!! I feel it's time to move on again.

Just a few things that have happened this year in Hastings............

Drugs raids and stabbings galore

Several Rapes

Burglaries & car crimes go through the roof

All cars up our road windows smashed in, scratched and damaged more than once

Our car radio nicked from our car parked out the front

Man beaten up & mugged outside our house

My son been set about by some older blokes

My daughter & her mates with a little sister in tow, being acosted by a peodophile whilst down town on a Sat. morning and a friend was followed home from school

A colleague at work murdered by her drug addict boyfriend

Local skate ramps set alight by chavs

Swing park vandalised and needles found on beach/park etc

My friend being injected with date rape drug in a local club

Younger kids had football nicked from them & then threatened with a knife

Phone box set alight, post box set alight, bus stop smashed regularly

Visiting students continually being mugged and beaten up

My two eldest sons were jumped & beaten up on the school bus

Eldest son's friend became a Dad at 14

Stuff stolen from my garden

A local man attacked with a machette

My dear old neightour who is 91 got her handbag nicked, TWICE

My son's mate has a brain heomorrage coz he was beaten up by Chavs ( because he's a skater boy)

Another elderly neighbour, run over on the crossing at the bottom of our road and left for dead

I could go on , and on , and on...........

And yet today after all that, because the weather was so lovely I took the younger kids to the beach after school, (yes were lucky enough to live near a beach) I was sitting there enjoying the surroundings, the cliffs behind me, the castle, the seagulls, the fishing boats etc.,............. Just for a moment there I thought "Are we doing the right thing? I still love Hastings" .... When out of the blue, a smashed up wreck of a car screeched and skidded up in the car park behind me, six yobs piled out of it and legged it in front of me n the kids along the beach followed by loads of police cars, and coppers chasing after them, tackling them and then arresting them!!!!! I think that has definately answered my question now....... YES YES YES !!!!!! :arghh:

When I think about it, I will be sad to leave this country, but bloody hell, I cant wait to get away from the people............. (except from the PIO gang of course!!!!!)

Sorry to bore you all with such a long post..... But i feel better now ive got it off my chest!!

SO THE MORALE OF THE STORY IS, TO ALL THINKING ABOUT IT AND TO ALL THOSE GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS......... DONT HESITATE, JUST DO IT...LIFE IS TOO SHORT!! :) HERE'S TO OZ !!!!!

Hi Jonesywife,

total agree with you you just gotta do it. It will be better life for everyone and if it isnt you have tried. My mother died when I was 24 and I always live for the day cos you never know where you are gonna be tommorow.

Chin up

Kimberleyx

Hi Sally-Anne,

Thats a great post and not 'too long'. Thats what will inspire people to get up and go. Of course there is crime in Oz, we all know it. But the rate is alot lower according to the stats and not so violent.

You go Sally-Anne, and we'll see you out there!

hays x

Guest jonseywife

Cheers girls

ooooo.. And I did'nt even mention the financial & political side of things.......

GIVE ME MY VISA NOW!!!!!!!!!! aarrggghhhh :twitcy:

Hi Jonseywife, i've got one for you.. a schitzophrenic (not sure of spelling) chasing you in your house while your 8 month old baby is playing on the living room floor and she wont leave coz she thinks Mel Gibson lives there..... it took an hour and a half for police to remove her.

Yup that happened to me and frightened the shhh out of me.

OZ HERE WE COME (hopefully!!!!!!)

OMG, YES get out of there! This is unfortunately Britain of today all over. Don't want to list all my experiences of this awful country as I'm trying to forget.

Yes I love my country too, but the scum that ruin it are overwhelming.

We escaped the uk back end of last year mainly for the reasons you list ,,the place is on its arse and i dont think will ever recover,we love Oz yes theres crime but its mainly petty theft ,burglary etc,i'd much rather my kids grew up here although the Uk will always be home!

Cal x

Guest montbrehain

Surely you have made a mistake ? that must be Southampton you are talking about ? ( or Bristol or Brighton or Portsmouth or.............) Thats modern day Britain. BUT don't think it doesn't happen in Oz too ? Probably to a much lesser extent but it does. I read the Aussie papers online most days and like most papers it seems they only try to dig up the bad news ? But Violence on the street or in the home is not just a British problem. So don't go to Oz with your eyes closed . Its not Paradise . But then again where is , Good luck and best wishes "MO"

Guest jonseywife
Surely you have made a mistake ? that must be Southampton you are talking about ? ( or Bristol or Brighton or Portsmouth or.............) Thats modern day Britain. BUT don't think it doesn't happen in Oz too ? Probably to a much lesser extent but it does. I read the Aussie papers online most days and like most papers it seems they only try to dig up the bad news ? But Violence on the street or in the home is not just a British problem. So don't go to Oz with your eyes closed . Its not Paradise . But then again where is , Good luck and best wishes "MO"

Mo, I Laughed about making a mistake bit !!!

I Know it's all over Britain, and some places far worse then where we are now, and some people have had more serious problems. I also look at the Ozzie newspaper, its a great idea, just grounds you bit and keep u in touch with things out there !!!

Im definate not expecting too much from OZ, but just to spend more time with each other as a family and hopefully for the kids to be happier and safer .... Ive seen London decline and got out, I'm now watching Hastings decline, so im attempting to get out (if the DIMC let me) but I know it may well catch up with me eventually....... but the Jonsey family are definately going to have bloody great fun in OZ in the meantime!!!!! :biggrin:

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL..........

I have a dilemma.

My partners job is on the MODL. The TRA is ready to be sent by the agent . BUT I can't decide whether I can go. It is really hard to explain the circumstances on a public forum but it's doing my head in. On one hand we are lucky to be in the position we are in but is it for us. I read these posts and think, yes, the UK is crap in parts, we live 6 miles from where the latest so called terrorists were arrested for allegedly wanting to behead a soldier. I thought at the time, yes we MUST move but is Australia really the solution, I'm not so sure. I walked through my city yesterday and thought it is a fab place, I just havent looked at it before. If it was in Oz I'd think WOW, so whats the difference? Australia has it's problems surely?. I wouldnt be homesick for family I do know that. We have good careers and good salaries, I think thats more by luck and cant see us earning the same over there. I worry that if we are struggling moneywise then our homelife would suffer. I have never been to australia so why on earth do I want to go and why do I think it will be wonderful? My dilemma, I suppose, is why should we continue along this path. I can only come up with 'because the opportunity is there' but is that enough? The grass is always greener or is it? AaaaaaGgggggggHhhhhhhh!!

Guest steve110

The only way to know for sure is to go and try .

It is as simple as that.

Any advice given on here will not change that. (No offence meant to the Pomsinoz peeps)

Only you can choose your path,we can show you many,but only you can choose.

Guest michele'n'michael

HI your Q's totally mirror mine!! Its like a double edged sword isn't it! We're going to go thro' the process c how far we get & if poss go out to Oz for Xmas & N year. If we get the feel for the place then its the right thing to do. Maybe you need a visit too. It will cost a lot I know but I'm of the opinion you have to try before you buy. Also if youre anything like me you'll bottle out the 5 yrs down the like think S--- ther must be more to life than this I WISH I'd given it ago & now it's too late, were too old the kids are too old etc etc!!

Guest jonseywife

Hi PamJ

You do have a dilema, I admit. :confused:

But I think it depends on each individuals situation..... as for us, I have no siblings and not a great relationship with my parents. My hubbys parents have passed away and his elder brother is going to live in Spain and now thinking of OZ too. So we are lucky we dont have that added complication. Although i'll mis mates and so will the kids, but mine can come and visit and the kids will make new ones!!

My hubby works his ******** off, 6 long days a week just to keep our heads above water (4 growing teenagers certainly drain you financially) and on the Sabath... he sleeps!!! It's just existing... not living.

And the only jobs available for my kids are in the local Fish n Chip shop..... (although that has many benefits!!!) ha ha ha!!!!

So it was an easy choice for us.

I hope you can come to the right decision, and people suggest on here to make a list of pro's and con's, it may help. It's not as ifs forever, you can always come back if you dont settle and I for one did'nt want to be sitting in my fireside chair when im old and grey, frightened to actually put the gas on as I cant afford it, and wonder what it would have been like IF I went to OZ.............. :twitcy:

Good luck with it and keep us updated

Guest steve110

That is the main reason we are trying for Aus,we do not want to be sat here in 10 yrs time thinking "what if",we may not get to go to Aus,but at least we got up and tried.

If we do get accepted ,then all for the better,we"ll be off like a shot.

Guest THE JONEZYS
Please give Sally Anne her visa Mr Case Officer..She is letting me go on holiday with my other girlie friend Hayley..Brisbane is a wonderful place but I need to venture down to Melbourne and know nobody else willing to put up with us.:)

I'll put up with you girlies and Felicity is heading Melbourne way too.:wubclub:

Just think, at this rate we will all be having loooooooooooooong weekends away in a different state each month...........can't wait!!

Lesleyx

I know I know....it's our choice and ours alone.

I just keep squeezing my head and asking 'why am I doing this?'

It's an impossible question to answer, it's akin to asking should we buy to let, will we make a sh*t load of money in a couple of years if we did. But I keep thinking it HAS to be easier to answer. It's just another country FFS. WHY is it going to be the answer to all our prayers? All I keep reading is the weathers fab, the beaches are great, we all live outside eh? THIS country isn't THAT bad surely that the sunshine elsewhere makes it much much better to live. I have the feeling we will continue because the opportunity exists but my heart isnt in it if I am honest. Then I read the returning to the UK forums and that strengthens what I believe anyway...this country isn't that bad after all. I am not usually pesemistic.......honest.! Maybe it's because I have PMT LOL!!!!!

I know I know....it's our choice and ours alone.

I just keep squeezing my head and asking 'why am I doing this?'

It's an impossible question to answer, it's akin to asking should we buy to let, will we make a sh*t load of money in a couple of years if we did. But I keep thinking it HAS to be easier to answer. It's just another country FFS. WHY is it going to be the answer to all our prayers? All I keep reading is the weathers fab, the beaches are great, we all live outside eh? THIS country isn't THAT bad surely that the sunshine elsewhere makes it much much better to live. I have the feeling we will continue because the opportunity exists but my heart isnt in it if I am honest. Then I read the returning to the UK forums and that strengthens what I believe anyway...this country isn't that bad after all. I am not usually pesemistic.......honest.!

Guest jonseywife

If it's PMT Pam... You had better make your decision next week then when your hormones are back to normal!!! lol

I think you should go and stay at my friend Jo's house in Brissy, so you can have a taster of OZ life before you take the plunge.... im sure she wont mind !!!! :biglaugh:

All jokes one side, I hope you can sort it all out and go for it with more excitment!!! :jiggy:

Guest tahe49

PamJ

What your feeling sounds normal (well it was to me anyway!), I think the best thing you can do at the moment is just take your time.......... I have gone through a whole roller coaster of emotions, but the longer I have this idea of moving to Oz the more I feel sure that its the right choice for me and my family.

At first, my mind was racing ten to the dozen - I felt like I was going to explode and would quite often burst into tears just thinking about migrating, but now I feel calmer about it and can think moe rationally, I still have my doubts of course but I don't feel a sense of panic anymore.

I hope this makes sense - sometimes I have trouble getting my point across....:redface:

hi jonseywife,

so, apart from all that........is hastings a nice place?...lol.

No wonder you are ready for OZ but i think that these kind of things go on all over the country. And its only gonna get worse. i think we are better off out of here! So, keep your chin up and just look forward to an exciting, new beginning.

I personally can't wait for that visa to drop through the door

Paul

PMT over so rational post should follow!

Sorry Jonseyswife, didn't mean to hijack your thread, It made me ask the question 'just how bad is the UK and is it really so awful that we have to move 10000 miles away?'

And thanks (you should never start a sentence with AND should you? ;o).....to the poster who said what I was feeling was normal, your point came across fine and was reassuring. As I said, we will carry on and I will try to be more enthusiastic I promise.

Ok, so it's Jo I need to contact to book a month long recci? how's the diary looking for November Jo?

Take care all xxx

Guest london cabbie

If you have doubts about moving to oz or if you question your motives(like we have many times) just keep reading the newspapers and watching the news, just keep looking at the gangs of youths hanging about bored out of their brains,just keep looking at your weekly bills,just keep looking at the hours you have to spend working to maintain this existance and thats all it is an existance,there is no quality of life im afraid.I talk to people that get in my cab and without exeption everybody says the same and if you dont make a positive move to do something about it you will be saying the same thing in 5 years time.

You have to ask yourself do you want this for yourself and do you want this for your kids,do you really want your kids to grow up here thinking this is normal way to live and get sucked into a lifetime of high taxes, high crime and working all hours and not seeing their kids(your grandchildren!!).

Society here im afraid is crumbling we are fast becoming a lawless society protected only by cctv cameras well that wont help your son as he is being attacked or stabbed will it?

I drive about london at night and see some horrendous things i wont even go into,there is no control anymore,a kid of 15 was stabbed to death a couple of days ago by a gang lead by a 13 year old who was egged on by the cries of "kill him kill him" the poor boy who died was left flowers at the scene saying "rip a brave soldier"...soldier? these kids are at war with society and with the help of political correctness and the fact that their parents either couldnt care less or are working long hours to survive these kids are winning the war!!

So when you have a few doubts or are a bit scared of the unknown think about your kids and their kids.

Keep reading those papers....Jamie

Archived