School Help for Special Needs (Brisbane)

Guest Janeloz

Guest Janeloz

Hi

We are hoping to come to Brisbane next year and would like some advice on schooling for special needs child. My eldest son will be 13/14 when we arrive and we are not particularly fussy about where we live at this stage (in the past, we have lived in both towns and villages, and both have pros and cons) but our main concern is getting a school where my son will feel valued and a part of the school community. He doesn't have any specific condition, but has some mobility problems (he'll never be a star athlete!) and also some intellectual problems, as in, he'll get to the answer of the question eventually but will probably take twice as long as other kids of his age. I currently home school as the schools in our area of the UK are dire, and bullying is rife and I did not want to send him into a hostile situation every day.

I realise that bullying is likely at most schools in all parts of the world, but he is keen to try school again when we get to Oz as he is a socialable child, and I want to make it a good part of his life.

So basically, does anyone out there in Brisbane have a similar child or can recommend a school/area where they know the special needs help is effective.

Many thanks for any help/advice,

Jane, Jason, Alex and Thomas:v_SPIN:

Hi

We are hoping to come to Brisbane next year and would like some advice on schooling for special needs child. My eldest son will be 13/14 when we arrive and we are not particularly fussy about where we live at this stage (in the past, we have lived in both towns and villages, and both have pros and cons) but our main concern is getting a school where my son will feel valued and a part of the school community. He doesn't have any specific condition, but has some mobility problems (he'll never be a star athlete!) and also some intellectual problems, as in, he'll get to the answer of the question eventually but will probably take twice as long as other kids of his age. I currently home school as the schools in our area of the UK are dire, and bullying is rife and I did not want to send him into a hostile situation every day.

I realise that bullying is likely at most schools in all parts of the world, but he is keen to try school again when we get to Oz as he is a socialable child, and I want to make it a good part of his life.

So basically, does anyone out there in Brisbane have a similar child or can recommend a school/area where they know the special needs help is effective.

Many thanks for any help/advice,

Jane, Jason, Alex and Thomas:v_SPIN:

Hi,

I'm not sure if I can help all that much. We have an autistic son and lived on the south side of Brisbane not far from Logan City area (now in UK).

You may have already found these points out:

Many schools have SEUs (special education units) attached to them where children with special needs are supported and normally spend most of their time in these units.

We're not sure how easy it is to get SEU support without some kind of diagnosis. Hopefully someone else can tell you.

I can only speak from experience with primary school SEU's but some of the good things about SEUs is that they can be a less formal environment, staff are trained to some level to help special needs kids. The number of kids in SEUs is smaller than mainstream classrooms so each child would get more help and be in a less stressful environment.

Not so good points: SEUs have a mix of children with all sorts of special needs and levels of ability. This may have some effect on the rate of academic development as I'm not sure how well they would be able to cater for such a wide range of needs and abilities all within the same group of students.

We found mainstreaming (inclusion) a problem in Queensland and from what we have been told it may not be much better in other states. The maximum amount of one on one help available to our son (and children with far greater problems) was 20 minutes a day in a mainstream classroom . In the school my son attended inclusion was very new at the time and several of the teachers were very reluctant to have special needs kids in their classrooms. A lot of it was do to do with the lack of support for teachers (aides etc - funding very poor) but in our case there was also a lot of ignorance displayed by some teachers and the head.

From what we have experienced and have been told about other schools, special needs kids spend the vast majority of their time in the SEUs, some get the opportunity to spend a little time in the mainstream classrooms but usually not for long as the level support is not available. This may be a good or bad thing depending on the child.

We have friends who are teachers in Queensland. They have suggested that when looking for a good school visit many and talk to them about your child. If they (the head and the teachers) seem genuinely keen to take your child then it is a good start.

We are in a similar position as you in that we are now in the UK and in an ongoing process of looking for a suitable high school back in Queensland or anywhere where the support is provided. Our main concern has been developing our child's independence as well as improving his academic performance. In his case inclusion has been essential. It has helped him improve his social skills tremendously, we have been very lucky here in Cornwall. Not all schools in the UK are good for special needs kids.

The weather and lifestyle in SE Queensland are excellent and we miss it all greatly.

There is a fair bit of home schooling going on in Brisbane too from what we have read.

Good luck with your search.

wildbriz

Guest Janeloz

Hi, Thanks for your reply and advice. As you said, I think at the end of the day we will just have to visit a short list of schools that I'll research online before hand and see what they offer.

Good luck with your search too, when are you hoping to return to Queensland?

Jane

Guest Chrissie59

Hi Wildbriz

Just read your reply to Janeloz. My son is autistic too and is currently in a special school. Don't know how he would get on in a mainstream school as has learning difficulties as well. Are there no special schools at all in Queensland that you know of? Did you return to the UK because of your son's schooling needs?

Thanks

Chrissie59

Hi Wildbriz

Just read your reply to Janeloz. My son is autistic too and is currently in a special school. Don't know how he would get on in a mainstream school as has learning difficulties as well. Are there no special schools at all in Queensland that you know of? Did you return to the UK because of your son's schooling needs?

Thanks

Chrissie59

Hi, From what I remember there are special schools in Brisbane but our son's disability was not severe enough for him to be admitted. He is reasonably high functioning and needed to integrate with kids in mainstream. This was to help him learn social skills and become as independent as he possibly could be. The problem was he needed a lot of one on one and could only get 20 minutes a day. Added to this the teachers (not all of them) were not keen on the idea of having disabled kids in mainstream classrooms. This is one school in particular.

After finding out about the limited one on one support time, which seems to be Australia wide, we researched the UK and found there was much greater support for him. Having said this I think that not all county councils would be as good in providing classroom support.

He is doing extremely well so our move has been very worthwhile but we do greatly miss the Australian lifestyle and hope to return sometime in the next few years.

Good luck with your hunt for suitable schools....

You can search on special ed facilities here Australian Schools Directory Define the area you are hoping to move to and hit search and you will get quite a few options.

The catch 22 is though that if you have a child who is likely to be eligible for a special school environment then there is a possibility that their condition will make your application for a visa less likely to succeed. In general, children who are eligible for "special schools" do tend to have higher level needs and thus are more likely those who could be construed as a "cost" to the Aus taxpayer (unpalatable but true). If you dont already have your visa you would always be wise to contact an agent who has expertise with various disability categories.

If you check the links on this page Programs and services for students with disabilities you should find the eligibility requirements for disability support in schools.

Australia has been in the vanguard of inclusive education (or at least they say they are) and so many special schools were closed down pretty much across the board to be replaced with either mainstream support or special unit placement within mainstream environments with varying degrees of "mainstream" experience (ranging from practically zero to almost full time depending on the child). The costs of supporting children in mainstream is very high but the budgets are limited and so with more and more kids getting a diagnosis with associated eligibility for support, the levels of support for individuals in $$ terms actually tends to go down by sleight of hand from year to year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jacky L
You can search on special ed facilities here Australian Schools Directory Define the area you are hoping to move to and hit search and you will get quite a few options.

The catch 22 is though that if you have a child who is likely to be eligible for a special school environment then there is a possibility that their condition will make your application for a visa less likely to succeed. In general, children who are eligible for "special schools" do tend to have higher level needs and thus are more likely those who could be construed as a "cost" to the Aus taxpayer (unpalatable but true). If you dont already have your visa you would always be wise to contact an agent who has expertise with various disability categories.

If you check the links on this page Programs and services for students with disabilities you should find the eligibility requirements for disability support in schools.

Australia has been in the vanguard of inclusive education (or at least they say they are) and so many special schools were closed down pretty much across the board to be replaced with either mainstream support or special unit placement within mainstream environments with varying degrees of "mainstream" experience (ranging from practically zero to almost full time depending on the child). The costs of supporting children in mainstream is very high but the budgets are limited and so with more and more kids getting a diagnosis with associated eligibility for support, the levels of support for individuals in $$ terms actually tends to go down by sleight of hand from year to year.

Hiya Quoll.

We lodged our visa in Sept 08 (175 CSL) and awaiting for a C.O. Reading up on forums and various internet sites, can you advise me on the"Agents" you mentioned to contact regarding children with special needs and eligibility requirements. The time is drawing near to (hopefully) visa grant we want to make sure that our visa will get looked at properly!

Our son has a speech and language disorder and learning difficulties (he has a statement of special educational needs)and is currently in a special school but is making excellent progress. He has not been diagnosed with any autistic spectrum and is not on any drugs, looking forward to your help.

Regards

Jacky

Guest Jacky L
Hi Jacky

George Lombard is the agent most mentioned as being on the ball with medical issues. I havent dealt with him but have heard good things. He'll give you good advice.

Good luck.

Thank you Quoll.

Jacky x

• 7 months later...

To janzoz they are schools in brisbane if thinking high schools they are CLAIRVAUX MACKILLOP COLLEGE AT MT GRAVATT IN BRISBANE, SETON COLLEGE AT MT GRAVATT IN BRISBANE AND CAVINDISH ROAD STATE HIGH SCHOLL AT MT GRAVATT TOO IN BRISBANE IF IT A PRIMARY SCHOOL TRY ST OLIVER PLUNKET AT CARINA IN BRISBANE OR ST THOMAS IN CAMP HILL IN BRISBANE FOR YOUR KID JUST ASK THEM I DON'T KNOW HELPS GOOD LUCK

• 1 month later...
Guest Vanessa Browne

Kingsdene Parent Group Media Release 23 November, 2009

Convoy to Canberra - It’s all about the future -but what about today and the immediate tomorrow

Kingsdene parents and students appeal to the Rudd government to save Kingsdene Special School from closure because, not only is it the good thing to do, it’s the right thing to do.

Bernadette Moloney chair of the Kingsdene Parent Group said: “Kingsdene parents and their severely disabled children will today travel to Canberra appealing to the Rudd Government to save their small charity-operated school from closure. “

“As we make that journey it is expected the government will announce the commissioning of a feasibility study into the possibility of a National Disability Insurance Scheme. An excellent idea well supported by the Australian community. Such a scheme coming to fruition is a long way “into the future” continues Ms Moloney

Vanessa Browne another parent representative says: “But, what about the today and immediate tomorrow of our severely disabled children and all those other severely disabled children who need Kingsdene Special School to remain open “into their future”?

The convoluted and unfair funding of students with disabilities in small charity-operated schools is a throw-back to the time when government deemed all children with disabilities could not be educated. The survival of Kingsdene Special School, in Western Sydney is a potent David and Goliath symbol and the Rudd government has certainly done much that is symbolic.

Kingsdene Special School is a weekly boarding school for severely and profoundly intellectually disabled students. Its extended learning program is what makes it unique and does not neatly fit the funding formula applied to other private schools.

“ Government spokespeople say Kingsdene students are funded to the maximum but do not deny the fact that Kingsdene students are not funded at the same level as a similarly disabled student in a government school. “ said Vanessa Browne

Kingsdene singularly brings diversity across education models and sectors for students with severe and profound disabilities. Kingsdene students gain skills and knowledge in a program unparalleled in the country with brilliant outcomes, transparency and accountability” continues Ms Browne

“All our kids need is a chance to be the best they can be. Is it too much to ask our government to step in and do the right thing here?” said Bernadette Moloney.

“By saving Kingsdene the Rudd government can nail its colours to the mast both in education reform, inject some humanity into the education revolution funding model and move the focus of spending should be on the students who will grow with support rather than buildings that decay with time. All students irrespective of their ability should be given the best chance to maximise whatever potential they have. Saving Kingsdene would give the federal government legitimacy in claiming the moral ground unclaimed by every government for the past forty years.

Contact: Bernadette Moloney 0409 200 660 and Vanessa Browne 0403 752 111

Archived