NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi

This may seem like a stupid question but I am just a little confused.

I am a mental health nurse and wanting to work in Queensland but do I have to register with QNC and the ANMC?

I have applied for a partner visa as my husband is an Australian citizen by descent,so we aren't coming over on a skills based visa, but I will want to work when I get over there......well would prefer to be a lady or leisure but that would be a dream :laugh:

Pam

x

Guest guest30038
Hi

This may seem like a stupid question but I am just a little confused.

I am a mental health nurse and wanting to work in Queensland but do I have to register with QNC and the ANMC?

I have applied for a partner visa as my husband is an Australian citizen by descent,so we aren't coming over on a skills based visa, but I will want to work when I get over there......well would prefer to be a lady or leisure but that would be a dream :laugh:

Pam

x

Yes, QNC

kev

• 3 weeks later...

Next year there will hopefully be a central registration for all states, I think at the moment there's still some discussion about who will regulate. I'm anticipating that there will be an increase in fees to cover administation. I believe it's scheduled for about July, but like anything else, the goal posts may change, but there will be a central registration process coming soon(ish)

Hi,

I sent the following questions to QNC, there reply stated that all questions must be answered wether you had practised or not and that if you had to tick False then you had something to declare and you would need to provide evidence. So confused!!!! I don't want to tick False as I don't see how you can provide evidence.

I have a question regarding Item 8 - Competence declaration.

Questions B & C relate to if you have practiced as a nurse, which I have not as I am newly qualified, and I do not really want to tick in the False box. Do I miss this question? Or do I have to tick in the False box?

Question E relates to following the Australian Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct, which again I have not as I am from the UK. Do I miss this question? Or do I have to tick in the False box?

Any ideas??

Cathy

They may be similar for different boards Cathy - what are you stuck on?

Hi Cathy! My name is Antonio... another nurse who applied to the QNC.... I think you should respond TRUE to all

a) I have completed an accredited or approved pre-registration, pre-enrolment, midwifery, mental health nursing or re-entry program........TRUE

b) My practice in the last five years is relevant to this application.........TRUE (Because you were doing your degree in nursing, therefore your practice is relevant to this application)

c) I held a licence to practise in the appropriate jurisdiction when practising as a nurse or midwife......TRUE (again, you have a degree that makes you competent in the practise of nursing...)

e) I follow the Code of ethics for nurses in Australia and Code of professional conduct for nurses in Australia or Code of ethics for midwives in Australia and Code of professional conduct for midwives in Australia......TRUE (basically you agree with the Australian Code in order to practise nursing here...)

Hope this help... all the best with your application and be patient...

XXXOOOXXX

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

Thank you so much for your reply :jiggy:the way you have explained why I should put TRUE makes sense, I had not looked at it like that.

I am aware I'll have to be patient!!! Am not actually sending it in until I have arrived in Queensland (fly this Sunday), plus I am still waitng for my registration to come through from the NMC as I only qualified in September. I just wanted to get as much as my form filled in as possible as I'm seeing a solicitor today to certify my documents and sign my f application form.

Thanks again Antonio!!!!!

Cathyxxx

Hi Cathy! My name is Antonio... another nurse who applied to the QNC.... I think you should respond TRUE to all

a) I have completed an accredited or approved pre-registration, pre-enrolment, midwifery, mental health nursing or re-entry program........TRUE

b) My practice in the last five years is relevant to this application.........TRUE (Because you were doing your degree in nursing, therefore your practice is relevant to this application)

c) I held a licence to practise in the appropriate jurisdiction when practising as a nurse or midwife......TRUE (again, you have a degree that makes you competent in the practise of nursing...)

e) I follow the Code of ethics for nurses in Australia and Code of professional conduct for nurses in Australia or Code of ethics for midwives in Australia and Code of professional conduct for midwives in Australia......TRUE (basically you agree with the Australian Code in order to practise nursing here...)

Hope this help... all the best with your application and be patient...

XXXOOOXXX

Antonio

Guest Lyndhurst
Hi Antonio,

Thank you so much for your reply :jiggy:the way you have explained why I should put TRUE makes sense, I had not looked at it like that.

I am aware I'll have to be patient!!! Am not actually sending it in until I have arrived in Queensland (fly this Sunday), plus I am still waitng for my registration to come through from the NMC as I only qualified in September. I just wanted to get as much as my form filled in as possible as I'm seeing a solicitor today to certify my documents and sign my f application form.

Thanks again Antonio!!!!!

Cathyxxx

Hi Cathy

i am too a newly qualified but as a midwife... am i right in thinking you have not had to have assessment from ANMC and are just registering with QNC cos this is what i am doing.

can i ask how much you have put for the amount of card payment as its confusing as now there is the police check and i doint know if we are classed as international as it says apart from UK ..??

dont take much to confuse me at the moment... we fly on monday and i have a job at the mater... where are you staying when you get there... hope the suns out hay..:biglaugh:

cheryl..x

Hi

Just looking for advice at the moment, in my 2nd yr as a student nurse, with a view to go to Oz when i qualify!! Can anyone tell me how i go about registering and working in Oz as a nurse.? I know I need a visa and medicals, but what else? I have a husband and 2 children, and can't wait to go!!!!!!! Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Helen x

Hi Helen,

Glad to hear the nursing is going well. You can apply for a graduate programme, or sponsorship. I've didn't do either of theres, so don't know how easy or hard it is for you to do. Have a look at the ANMC website for information regarding skills assessments if you decide to go down the independent route. I googled hospitals then approached them directly with an expression of interest and my CV, I was lucky enough to get an interview and a job offer and am still working for the same service.

Hi Ali

So nice to hear from you again! Sorry we haven't been in contact lately, but we are still very keen on moving down under! Thank you for your valuable advice, I will have a look at ANMC website and do some research. Loving my nursing at Uni in Preston, doing the diploma. I know I've got just under 2 yrs left, it might seem early researching now, but I want to make sure we have enough time to do everything ie paperwork, medicals etc...

I'll keep you informed of my progress.

Love Helen xx

Hi Cheryl,

Yes, just applying with the QNC as I am going on my husbands visa. Have you answered true to all the questions in section 8? Haven't got the form to hand, but I think you pay 2 fees, then the License fee is paid after the registration has gone through.

We are staying in Peregian Springs on the Sunshine Coast. How about you?

Hope you have a good flight!!!!!

Cathyx

Hi Cathy

i am too a newly qualified but as a midwife... am i right in thinking you have not had to have assessment from ANMC and are just registering with QNC cos this is what i am doing.

can i ask how much you have put for the amount of card payment as its confusing as now there is the police check and i doint know if we are classed as international as it says apart from UK ..??

dont take much to confuse me at the moment... we fly on monday and i have a job at the mater... where are you staying when you get there... hope the suns out hay..:biglaugh:

cheryl..x

Guest Lyndhurst

hi cathy,,..

yes i answered true to them all..

we fly tomorrow so have loads to do... will take another look at the fees..

we are staying on the Gold coast..xx

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone,

i am expecting my 175 PR CSL visa through anytime now, but we are not sure whether we are going to emigrate, we think we are going to validate it in may/june next year in Brisbane. My questions are these. If we don't go say for 3years will i have to do that stupid IELTS test again and if we do go which hospitals in Brisbane are good to work in medical and what are the job vacancies like am i certain to get work i would consider the bank nursing option also. cheers for any help, helen 25 years experience.

Hi everyone,

i am expecting my 175 PR CSL visa through anytime now, but we are not sure whether we are going to emigrate, we think we are going to validate it in may/june next year in Brisbane. My questions are these. If we don't go say for 3years will i have to do that stupid IELTS test again and if we do go which hospitals in Brisbane are good to work in medical and what are the job vacancies like am i certain to get work i would consider the bank nursing option also. cheers for any help, helen 25 years experience.

Hi Helen,

IELTS is valid for 2 years so in terms of your visa,you would not have to re-sit this again.However I would suggest that if you are not yet registered with a Nursing Board then chose one and do it now,you will then have to renew it annually until you move for good.The goal posts are being moved regularly and if you are not registered then you will almost certainly have to redo it in 3 years time unless you have done ANMC and they then Register you on the basis of a valid skills assessment although I believe that that is also only valid for 2 years too.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fionaj123

hi everyone,

Just wandering if anyone know roughly how long registration is taking for queensland. Have passed my ielts so this is the next step before I start applying for jobs and of course just waiting for visa application to move on.

thanks everyone :biggrin:

Hey I need advises from all of you. I am enrolling myself into Curtin next year august intake - Bachelor of nursing for diplomate conversion. I am a RN in Singapore and working for almost a year, I need to complete at least a bachelor to qualify as a RN in WA therefore i am wondering if I could apply 457 instead of student visa?

Anyone can tell me what is the difference between 457 and 475?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jayartagao

hello evryone

i am a new member of this forum.. I am a filipino nurse w/ only 1 year and half of experience and worked as a volunteer nurse here in my country,. I'm planning to work in Australia and to migrate in this counry, but it sad to say its hard to find an employer who can help me to go and able to work there. can you please give me an advice regarding this?

thanks....

regards,

jay-ar

• 1 month later...
Guest janeymcp

Hi

am hoping someone can help. Am just about to commence 175 process, planning to come to WA. Am RGN with 20 years experience. At this stage dont want to tell my boss of my emigration plans. If i go for full skills assessment with ANMC this is unavoidable as they want reference from employer (line manager. However having looked into this it seems that best option is to apply to WA nursing board as they will accept reference from an RGN, then submit to ANMC for modified skills assessment. Is there any disadvantage to doing this ? - presumably only the time up front waiting for WA nursing board before ANMC??

Hoping someone can help

Guest welshgirl25

hello all

i was given advice last year on emigrating and was told 457 on reflection we have now decided to apply for 175 as it seems the benefits are greater and it is easier to gain pr. Can anyone tell me from the day they started how long does it take to be granted your visa. Iknow all the things the things that need to be done, I was just wanting to know on average how long. Thanks

Guest The Gore Family
Here's a tip:

If you have your skills assessment done with the ANMC they will pass on your paperwork to the state you want to register with. There is no cost to you and it saves you having to duplicate documents. You then need only fill out the registrations form and send your money.

Ali

Hi Ali

My wife is a midwife we have our PR Visa coming over to Bris in July she has sent all her form to the ANMC now needs to apply to Queensland council if you are saying the ANMC will pass on her details how does she go about getting this done??

Many thanks

David & Heather