NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Here's a tip:

If you have your skills assessment done with the ANMC they will pass on your paperwork to the state you want to register with. There is no cost to you and it saves you having to duplicate documents. You then need only fill out the registrations form and send your money.

Ali

Hi i registered with the ANMC last year but have not registered with QNC as yet. Can i still ask the ANMC to send details to QNC or do i have to start again? Any advice would be great

Thanks

Claire

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i would let u all know, i sent my documents to the QNC at the start of feb, they were acknowleged on the 24th feb, i contacted them last week and they are still assessing january's applications, so far i have waited 8 weeks, flights are booked for 5 weeks time, OMG!!!

kris x

Hi i registered with the ANMC last year but have not registered with QNC as yet. Can i still ask the ANMC to send details to QNC or do i have to start again? Any advice would be great

Thanks

Claire

Contact the ANMC they should still have your file - saves a lot of hassle

Ali

• 2 weeks later...
Guest itsSHIRLEY

Hi a nurse on my ward the other day, heard that i wanted to move to australia as a registered nurse. she said as i qualified in sept 08 and i will be applying with only one years expereince and completed my preceptorship, that i will still have to upgrade when i get to australia because i dont have a degree. is this true or can i just start a registered nurse job, please please can anyone answer this question as i am becoming quite stressed and need to know. Thanks to anyone who replies.icon9.gif

Guest itchyfeet08

Hi Shirely

Not sure what you mean by upgrade. You will be paid according to how many years experience you have, regardless of whether it is a diploma or degree providing you meet the Nursing & Midwifery Board requirement. Some states you can apply for a Education Allowance for having a degree.

You will be paid either RN 1 (or RN 2, if you arrive after Sept 09), make sure you get a statement of service record from your employers, with all your hours, right upto your last day of work, so you get maximum amount and graded correctly.

Check Nurses Paycheck on this website to see how much you will get in each state or territory.

Australian Nursing Federation

Hope this helps

Emma

Guest itsSHIRLEY

hi thanks for replying to my post . the nurse i spoke to was a bit funny about going to australia and said i would have to do the graduateship program even if i had passed the preceptorship over here because i was only a diploma student or that i would have to upgrade in some way to a degree. i am so pleased that this isnt the case, thanks for your help.

Guest dawnie23

Hi i have downloaded the application form from QNC website and and have started filling it in..do i need to get application form for ANMC as well or do i do QNC first?? my brain (used to have one!) seems to have gone on holiday, im really not sure what to do first.

im being sponsored on 457visa with bupa who i work for in UK thank god they are sorting that bit out lol!

As i trained 28 yrs ago the hospital i trained at is no longer there! will the NMC be able to provide all that info?

will i have to do the ISLET(?) as im applying before June?

sorry for all the questions

would be very grateful for any guidence

thank you

Dawn:notworthy:

My questions are:

How long does the ANMC registration last for?

Also if my wife applies for QLDNMC straight after but we dont plan to get to oz till the end of next year, can we just reapply next year or are we better of waiting till just before we go?

Hope that makes sense!

JOHN

Guest tony and marie

Any :laugh: lasses out there who are of the neonatal variety who work in brisbane, I have a job there waiting for me and I am really excited about the move. Can anyone give me some contacts to get to know the area a little better. Thanks marie

Luvpants - I'm not sure what you're asking. You don't actually register with the ANMC - they are a body purely to assess skills for migration. A positive assessment with them I think lasts for 2 years (or it did, it may have changed).

My initial registration with NMBWA lasted a year, after which you could renew for 1 or 3 years.

One of the agents posted the other day that apparently from july 1st the ANMC and nursing boards will require nurses to sit Ilets test now. British trained nurses used to be exempt .. but it looks like that is changing.

Alison

Spending the afternoon starting the long process to get to oz. I am filling in the forms for the ANMC. First hurdle:

It states "Employment statement/s stating dates of employment

for the past five (5) years. You will need to provide

evidence of recency of practise of at least 3

months (full time equivalent) within the last 5 years. If

your dates of employment are not on your professional

reference and/or you have worked for different

employers within the last 5 years, you will need to

provide a statement that details the dates of employment

as a registered nurse or midwife. This statement

usually comes from Human Resources or Payroll

at your organisation. We do not need information

on your enrolled nursing or rates of pay".

Am I right in saying that as long as my wife's manager says that she started "this date" and has been practising for at least 3 months, she wont need to go to HR to confirm this?

JOHN

My letter came from HR as they are the people that confirm you dates of employement. My letter also stated the grade that I was employed at. This usually comes from HR as they are responsible for issuing contracts and therefore the 'official' voice' for the organisation. A bit like having to get the NMC to say you're qualified rather than your manager who has sighted your licence to practice. It is advisable to get this from them rather than the manager, it saves confusion and is the most widely accepted form of proof of employment I would therefore get it from then rather than the manager .My manager gave me a reference,

Guest MeInOz

Can anyone tell me how long it took to gain registration in Queensland from overseas? I'm aiming for 3 months - I hope it isn't any longer!!

Guest itchyfeet08

Hi Guys,

A useful thing to know, if you are a temporary resident departing Australia, (for example, leaving Australia at the end of your Working Holiday or upon your Temporary Business 457 visa expiring), you may be eligible to receive your employer superannuation guarantee contributions back. This payment is called the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). You need to refer to the Australian Tax Office for further information.

Cheers Em

Guest itchyfeet08

I reckon it should be through by then, although send them a reminder email before then. If you track back through some of the treads, on this site, I think they discuss time frames for Queensland Nursing Board.

Cheers Em

Hi all

I have a question:

I am getting the paperwork together so that we can go to a solicitor next week to certify. The paperwork required for the QLD nursing council is the same as the paperwork required for the ANMC. So am I right in saying that once my wife has the ANMC statement of declaration,we just tell them to forward everything to QLD nursing council and then just send QLD the application form and fee?

JOHN

Hi all

I have a question:

I am getting the paperwork together so that we can go to a solicitor next week to certify. The paperwork required for the QLD nursing council is the same as the paperwork required for the ANMC. So am I right in saying that once my wife has the ANMC statement of declaration,we just tell them to forward everything to QLD nursing council and then just send QLD the application form and fee?

JOHN

Hi,

My oh got his ANMC positive skills assessment back today - and it states on his letter it lasts for two years.

Sorry, don't know the answer to your other question :jiggy:

Guest shonz
Hi all

I have a question:

JOHN

Hi John,

Yes, thats what i believe, the advice i have had from many on the forum is E mail the ANMC directly and ask them to forward your file with the documents to the relevant state. Give them some time to do this and then submit your application with the fee.

I emailed the ANMC Monday last week and got a reply the following day saying no problem. I have waited a week and only today sent off my application to Perth.

internationalsection@anmc.org.au

Hope this helps

Shonz xx

Guest Magnetic6

Please can somebody help me as i'm confused!!

Applying at the mo to the ANMC and i'm dual registered nurse/midwife but applying as a midwife SO do i forward transcript of training from my midwifery course and not have to bother with my nursing?

I've worked for the past 11 years in midwifery.

Thanks

Natalie x

Guest itchyfeet08

Hi Natalie

I would call them or e-mail them to double check, so you don't delay the process, see the international section on the ANMC website for contact details. I presuming you are applying to have your skills assessed, because you don't register to practice with the ANMC.

Cheers Em

Guest Magnetic6

Thanks for replying Em, will email them to double check.

Yes this is for my skills assessment, will be applying for the 175 once its been done.

Natalie

Guest itchyfeet08

My top - If you can wait and get PR then this is the better option, because it will give you the freedom to choose your employer and job. You can then avoid being tied to an employer and being in a job you hate, which is what happened to me and why I decided to write something about it for nurses. I couldn't bare the thought of nurses having to be as miserable as I was when I first got here, I wanted nurses to be informed to have some influence and control over the decisions they made. (Not that I want to put you off coming, because I love being in Australia and love the job I have now and that’s not saying you won't be happy with the employer or the job you get, as many of my friends were. Maybe I'm just too fussy or maybe I was just too old (34 yrs) to change, but, you spend a lot of hours at work, so it is important you get it right). If it is speed you need to get to Australia, then working holiday or 457 is quicker. State sponsorship seems to be the way now, which is better, because if you don't like your original job you can apply for another job within that same health service/state and move. Knowing what I know now, I would have waited for PR and got the job I wanted, but I only had the dream of being in Australia in sight, but didn't think of the reality. I am also not an agency; I work as a nurse in Sydney, just trying to inform Nurses, to avoid the same mistakes I made.

Cheers Em :smile:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lissa

I have my NMBWA registration - yippee! :biggrin: I cannot find anywwhere on how many hours CPD you have to do to maintain your NMBWA registration. :confused:Is it like the UK i.e. 450 hours over a 3 year period?

Guest itchyfeet08

Hello, Congratulations on your registation. Not sure they have it in Australia, I've never been asked for CPD, I work in Sydney. I still keep mine going though, just in case (probably habit, as originally from the UK) I do recall a converation a few months back, I think it was with ANMC, saying they were planning to bring it in. I would check with the NMBWA, just to be safe.

Cheers Em