NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

1 hour ago, ali said:

Perhaps you need to speak directly with AHPRA

Yeah, am gonna do that... with it being the weekend (at the time I wrote the question), I  had figured the great minds at PIO would possibly know an answer... ?...

Ill just make plans on the basis of presenting in person within 3 months.

thanks all

• 3 weeks later...

Had an interview last week on Skype... absolutely no clue how it went... it felt positive, but the interviewers have the best poker faces I've ever come across.. now the nervous wait...they said they'd let me know after they get references back.. Is that normal? I mean, I'm so used to hearing "you got the job, now we will do some compliance" (which includes references...) So I'm wondering what gives

51 minutes ago, SWMOY04 said:

Had an interview last week on Skype... absolutely no clue how it went... it felt positive, but the interviewers have the best poker faces I've ever come across.. now the nervous wait...they said they'd let me know after they get references back.. Is that normal? I mean, I'm so used to hearing "you got the job, now we will do some compliance" (which includes references...) So I'm wondering what gives

That is very normal. I only followed up the references for my preferred candidate, so if they do follow up that should indicate good things. Some places follow up for a few good candidates to help their final decision. But well done, sounds really promising!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a friend who wants to apply for a 189. She will have 65 points and looking to move to WA. Am I right in thinking that she needs to get 70 points to even get through the EoI at the moment? She is a nurse and has been working in Oz whilst on her WHV, therefore registered with APHRA. AMNAC being processed. She's actually a week off gaining an extra 5 points for experience as I believe she has 2 years 11 months and 3 weeks experience!

Edited by benj1980

@benj1980 I originally put an EOI in with 65 points for a 189. It would take forever with 65 points to be selected. 70 points and I think you would get snapped up within months. I decided to apply for a 190 state sponsored and was invited with 65+5 for state sponsorship. Not sure about WA as they have a lot of criteria around state sponsorship such as type of nurse and years of experience. States offer 489 visa's and 190 visa's to a select few. She should talk to an agent and see what they recommend.

Edited by Jenki75
to add recipient
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi fellow nurses, 

I'm moving to Melbourne in January and have a few questions about jobs. I've already started with seek, indeed, hospitals careers and sending my CV where relevant. 

I'm surgical RN and was wondering how big are my chances in securing a job? I'm not from an English speaking country and my experience is not particularly fresh. I finished with my surgical work in late 2014 and then was working as an insurance nurse till 2018 in Sydney. That being said, I'd love to get back to surgery. 

Can anyone share tips and experience with job hunting in Melbourne? 

Thank you all ❤️

• 1 month later...
On 14/12/2019 at 02:01, Martina said:

Hi fellow nurses, 

I'm moving to Melbourne in January and have a few questions about jobs. I've already started with seek, indeed, hospitals careers and sending my CV where relevant. 

I'm surgical RN and was wondering how big are my chances in securing a job? I'm not from an English speaking country and my experience is not particularly fresh. I finished with my surgical work in late 2014 and then was working as an insurance nurse till 2018 in Sydney. That being said, I'd love to get back to surgery. 

Can anyone share tips and experience with job hunting in Melbourne? 

Thank you all ❤️

Do you have a preference where you want to live?

Do you want to live near work?

I'm willing to help with searching around directly with hospitals that satisfy your criteria from your message and my two questions.

I'm not an agent... I got my job whilst in the UK and I figured I could have done a few things slightly differently

10 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

It's significantly better than the UK for me! Though naturally on occassion one does find some things they miss from "Back Home" ☹️

Glad you are settling in. It has a lot going for it and if it is suiting you better then that’s fab. Long may it continue! 
Curse of the expat, always missing something from somewhere else! 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Toots said:

How is your family settling into life here @SWMOY04

I think they are doing ok. They have their moments too when they miss something in particular about the UK. 

A "holiday" trip back may be on the books, but for now we are doing ok with SKYPE and FaceTime calls for loved ones. 

• Like 2