NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

The police check is conducted for AHPRA and by AHPRA through the fit2work website - it comes back to you via email, on fit2work letterheaded paper. So another is needed for the 189 visa. It asks you to do a police check for any country you have spent more than 6 months in...so I had to include New Zealand too, as completed WHV there. It came via post and is a normal NZ Ministry of Justice police check, so I can deffo use that for my 189 visa...but will still need a separate Aussie one!

The police check is conducted for AHPRA and by AHPRA through the fit2work website - it comes back to you via email, on fit2work letterheaded paper. So another is needed for the 189 visa. It asks you to do a police check for any country you have spent more than 6 months in...so I had to include New Zealand too, as completed WHV there. It came via post and is a normal NZ Ministry of Justice police check, so I can deffo use that for my 189 visa...but will still need a separate Aussie one!

Thanks for your reply Kylie. I have not arrived in Australia yet do you know if I still need two separate checks? I have lived in Ireland and currently based in the UK.

Thanks for your reply Kylie. I have not arrived in Australia yet do you know if I still need two separate checks? I have lived in Ireland and currently based in the UK.

Yes you will need to do a Fit2Work police check and an 189 Visa specific police check, you can not use one for both I am afraid. You will most likely need to do more police checks once you are over in Aus and applying for jobs as well, so that is 3 you need.

Yes you will need to do a Fit2Work police check and an 189 Visa specific police check, you can not use one for both I am afraid. You will most likely need to do more police checks once you are over in Aus and applying for jobs as well, so that is 3 you need.

Hey Mgreaves thank you for shedding light on the matter. I feared that might be the case!

Any midwives on here who have successfully got registration meeting the new guidelines; I cant remember the section number but it was to have a minimum of 10 caseloads :/ caseload midwifery isnt common here ( I am not yet qualified) and without this 3 months supervision in the workplace is required. How many employers will want to sign up to someone with that baggage?

Hi all,

I am at the start of this process...

I need 8's on ielts for points for 189 visa but for the purpose of AHPRA I can prove 5 years of taught english.

What with the frequent changes in ahpra - would I be better to apply for reg first then go for modified AMNAC assessment and sit the general ielts for visa points.

OR should I sit academic ielts (eek!) first , then go amnac and then ahpra... ????

Edited by jamesandsarah

Hi all,

I am at the start of this process...

I need 8's on ielts for points for 189 visa but for the purpose of AHPRA I can prove 5 years of taught english.

What with the frequent changes in ahpra - would I be better to apply for reg first then go for modified AMNAC assessment and sit the general ielts for visa points.

OR should I sit academic ielts (eek!) first , then go amnac and then ahpra... ????

Hi, to do the modifed assessment you need to visit Australia or be in Australia before you can do this.

When you compelte your AHPRA registration if you do not have an active visa in your passport (tourist is ok I beleive) then they will not put you on the register, and thus you can not use the modified assesment. To get on the register once you have completed application you need to turn up at an AHPRA office to finalise the application, you have up to 12 mnoths to do this stage.

For this reason we went down the route of using me as an accountant for the visa as my partner was unable to get 7's in the IELTS due to dyslexia.

Regardless of this, I would start you AHPRA and ANMAC processes at the same time as they both take time, no need to do one before the other as they both need mostly the same documents.

Hi, to do the modifed assessment you need to visit Australia or be in Australia before you can do this.

When you compelte your AHPRA registration if you do not have an active visa in your passport (tourist is ok I beleive) then they will not put you on the register, and thus you can not use the modified assesment. To get on the register once you have completed application you need to turn up at an AHPRA office to finalise the application, you have up to 12 mnoths to do this stage.

For this reason we went down the route of using me as an accountant for the visa as my partner was unable to get 7's in the IELTS due to dyslexia.

Regardless of this, I would start you AHPRA and ANMAC processes at the same time as they both take time, no need to do one before the other as they both need mostly the same documents.

Thank you for replying. Think I need to just get on with things - so booking ielts academic tonight....then ahpra/amnac

Thank you for replying. Think I need to just get on with things - so booking ielts academic tonight....then ahpra/amnac

Not ideal but if you struggle with IELTS Academic but manage to get 7's you can then resit using the General to aim for 8 for points, or do the PTE-A, I could not get over 7.5 in IELTS Academic, but as I only needed 7 for my skills assessment I then did PTE-A to get maximum points.

Hi everyone,

I am seeking to apply (eventually) for a 189 visa as a nurse. I have been told by a migration agent that I can claim 5 points for 3 years work experience (as I work over 20 hours a week).

I qualified 3 years ago and worked 37.5 hours for 1 year and then 24 hours for the two subsequent years.

ANMAC however, state on their website that I need 3 years of FT equivalent experience. Do ANMAC have a different requirement in regards to what they class as FT?

Do they say FT is approx 37 hours or 20?? Im confused......

To confuse things even more... 1 of those years I was a student health visitor - so a training post, but received a band 5 wage and in effect was 'working' and utilising/maintaining my nursing PIN. Will I be able to count this year in work experience?

Hi everyone, looking for some advice!

After a long wait (held back by the changes at AHPRA and topping up to my degree) I have FINALLY got my letter of eligibility from AHPRA for my registration!

We have flights booked for April and are planning on working holiday visa in the first instance. We were thinking of finding 457 sponsorship once out there, but after doing some more research (mostly tax related) now feel 189 might be better suited.

I've been looking into the modified ANMAC application, and I have already done and passed my IELTS but I wondered if I could still apply for the modified assessment as I haven't received a registration number yet - just the letter instructing me to attend the office in person with the valid visa/ID?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Getting excited now it's getting closer!

Alex x

Hi everyone, looking for some advice!

After a long wait (held back by the changes at AHPRA and topping up to my degree) I have FINALLY got my letter of eligibility from AHPRA for my registration!

We have flights booked for April and are planning on working holiday visa in the first instance. We were thinking of finding 457 sponsorship once out there, but after doing some more research (mostly tax related) now feel 189 might be better suited.

I've been looking into the modified ANMAC application, and I have already done and passed my IELTS but I wondered if I could still apply for the modified assessment as I haven't received a registration number yet - just the letter instructing me to attend the office in person with the valid visa/ID?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Getting excited now it's getting closer!

Alex x

I'm afraid you can't do the modified assessment until you have your actual pin number. If you went over on a WHV and completed your registration then you could do the modified assessment, but not until you are fully registered.

• 2 weeks later...

hello everybody! just wondering if the Eu directive 2005/36 is still needed to get registration as a nurse from austria for example or if this is not valid anymore and you need the bachelor and all other diplomas/certificates are meaningless. does anybody has latest news about that?

• 1 month later...

Hi looking for some info please. I have recently applied to AHPRA for registration and my plan is to go in person while on Holiday to Aus to pick up my registration then apply for a modified assessment skills assume that on my return. I have a friend who has recently registered and they have sent my a copy of details they had to show. 1) foreign passport with travel visa 2) proof of Aus address and or 3) offer of employment. I was wondering if any one has recently registered in person on a tourist visa and even if this is now possible.

Edited by Ryso

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am just starting the application process for general registration with AHPRA, what a minefield. Can anyone tell me if I am required to complete an International criminal history check form. I have lived in the uK all my life never been outside the country for more than 6 months. I have an up to date DBS (CRB) form bu the question is not clear . I have no criminal convictions. ?

I am also looking ot get a solicitor to sign all of my qualification forms passport etc.

Has anyone got any other advice or tips?

Thanks

Jackie

Some UK solicitors are notaries - ring your local solicitor's office and ask, If no one there is a notary, they usually know where the nearest one is. Alternatively, you can use a justice of the peace and you can find out how to access these by ringing your nearest magistrates court office.

Hi. Not sure if anyone's wondering about processing times etc but I'm a diploma registered mental health nurse, with a top up Bsc (Hons) Health and Professional Practice. My AHPRA application was submitted on March 9th and this morning I received notification of my registration in principle. :) x