NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Ah ok fair enough, I've read a lot about dodgy migration agents so thought you'd found one, but family help is good!

If you are applying for AHPRA before have a visa then you can not do a modified assessment with ANMAC. When you complete your AHPRA registration as you do not have a visa you will only get a letter saying you are eligible for registration, you have to then go to an AHPRA office in Australia and present yourself to become fully registered.

ANMAC require you to be on the actual nursing register to qualify for the modified assessment. I was going down this route myself originally as my partner is dyslexic and did not want to do the IELTS exam, however after further research realised this was not possible with the visa route we are going down.

If you want to use a modified assessment you need to wait until you have a visa before registering with AHPRA as otherwise you won't meet their identification requirements.

Edited by mgreaves

You don't have to wait for visa to register with ahpra. ..u could go over on holiday and complete registration...i also know of someone who got fully registered by sending ID documents to office instead of turning up in person however I don't know how common that is...I done it in person and then did modified assessment

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am still able to access my university system, and am able to print out my transcript (although this will be on blank, non letterhead paper, and not signed) Would this be OK - as long as certified??

I have asked uni to provide a syllabus showing what I have been taught in order to qualify and register as a nurse in UK - they have pointed me to the NMC standards for pre-reg nursing - 152 pages - is this enough? If my uni were to just reference a letter to say they followed these? http://www.nmc.org.uk/standards/additional-standards/standards-for-pre-registration-nursing-education/

http://www.nmc.org.uk/standards/additional-standards/standards-for-pre-registration-nursing-education/

Hi guys,

I am still able to access my university system, and am able to print out my transcript (although this will be on blank, non letterhead paper, and not signed) Would this be OK - as long as certified??

Certifying a document you have 'made' yourself does not really prove anything I know these would be genuine results but for all AHPRA know you have simply made this up yourself, hence the need for official university copy.

I have asked uni to provide a syllabus showing what I have been taught in order to qualify and register as a nurse in UK - they have pointed me to the NMC standards for pre-reg nursing - 152 pages - is this enough? If my uni were to just reference a letter to say they followed these? http://www.nmc.org.uk/standards/additional-standards/standards-for-pre-registration-nursing-education/

http://www.nmc.org.uk/standards/additional-standards/standards-for-pre-registration-nursing-education/

For me university sent a letter which referenced this, but also referenced the syllabus which itself was 90+ pages. AHPRA would know about the NMC requirements but they want to know what your degree has taught as well.

They are very particular on what they need, so you need to provide it exactly as they ask otherwise you will cause delays in the process.

Thank you! Yeah I didn't think i'd get away with printing it out myself.

So in summary, can anyone confirm:

I need to provide certified copys of:

Degree certificate + transcript

Degree syllabus

University letter explaining Criteria 8 - medicines management

University letter confirming theory/clinical hours

Proof of ID - driving license, passport, bank statement

Statement of service for past 5 years...........I'm newly qualified - does this mean I need statement from previous non-nursing jobs?

Signed and dated CV

University letter confirming taught and assessed in English (AND copy of IELTS?)

Uni need to send direct to AHPRA:

Accreditation statement and "relevant supporting documentation" Can this be an additional letter stating that I've been taught in relation to NMC standards, SURELY if I'm providing the syllabus?

NMC need to send direct to AHPRA:

Certificate of registration

Accreditation statement

Statements of service would only be for nursing jobs.

If your degree is from the UK you should not need IELTS, I submitted a letter relating to GCSE's being taught and assessed in English.

Universirty have a set template letter to send AHPRA stating they are monitored etc. by the NMC, this has to come from university not from you although it will probably say the same thing.

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I've just received my NMC Certificate of registration pack for them to confirm my registration for ANMAC and AHPRA.

It states in the letter:

"Some overseas authorities require a practitioner to hold an effective registration with their original registration body. Therefore may i suggest you check with the overseas registration authorities with whom you are applying for registration, in order to ascertain whether live/current registration in the UK is required. Phone us if this is required prior to submitting your application for verification"

I do need live registration don't I??

Depends if you are claiming points for work experience if you need refs/statement of service or not..I didn't. ..I didn't include transcript just degree cert as was claiming points for that

Hello everyone,

I am applying for the 189 visa. I have three references from my NHS employers. Do I need to include a statement of service from HR and do I need to provide my university academic transcript?

• Like 1

Depends if you are claiming points for work experience if you need refs/statement of service or not..I didn't. ..I didn't include transcript just degree cert as was claiming points for that

Thanks. Yes I am claiming points for experience. I have my uni transcript so I will include it with my degree certificate.

I am applying on partner visa. I'm assuming I can apply straight to ANMAC?. I was previously registered in oz when it was state nursing boards.. Got a form printed out..... Also my nmc expires October 2016 so trying to ensure I am up to date with that Before I leave as don't want to let uk reg lapse at the moment....

Dunno what to do as arrive in jan.. Don't want to work for a few months but may Have to if oh does not find work easily. I feel for a couple of months it would be worth doing registration June 2016 and get a full year.... But maybe easier to register from here if I need to send/sort anything else...

I have just received all my letters I requested from my university - transcript, clinical and theory hours, letter saying i was taught in english, letter saying about pharmacokinetics.............however on most of the documentation it says my name and details, including: "course completed/qualification received: BSc (Hons) Nursing"

Now, my course was a 4 years honours course, but I left after 3 years with just the degree - no honours. Now having a panic thinking my documents aren't gonna match up. My degree certificate says just that, degree. But this kinda looks like one document is saying I do have the honours??

Ask university to do it all again, not mentioning the fact that it's an Honours degree course?

Just a not to say my ahpra reg was approved in 7weeks and am now on the public register. Had telephone interview for a melbourne major public hospital that promises full scope of practice.....so who knows.! Ahpra obviously getting a bit quicker...

When did you start applying for jobs?

anmac and ahpra are dealing with my applications now, IELTS done, EOI early next year (hoping to do this before Easter)

how long is the visa process after getting EOI confirmed?

Hi everyone,

I apologise if this has been asked before - I have become a little hazy looking at many posts on many different threads and forums :)

I am a MH Nurse by trade but now a health visitor ( 2 years HV experience post SCPHN degree). After many months of deliberation between a 457 and 189, we have opted to try for the latter as more secure with a family etc etc..However, my question is this;

AMNAC state I need 3 months full time equivalent paid work experience. With the exception of working FT as a student HV in 2013, I have always worked PT. I currently work 24 hrs a week and have done since I qualified. Excuse me if I sound thick but do I need to work FT for 3 months or do AMNAC just want the total of what would be FT in 3 months covered somewhere in the last 5 years.

Sorry, if I'm sounding confusing ..

Thank you in advance

In regards to the CV for AHPRA:

I am a newly qualified nurse, so will only be including one job in the CV. Should I therefore include a little on the student placements I completed? I'm not sure if that's what they mean when they say "Internship and Observership - Provide in the chronology of the practice history details of internship rotations and any periods of observership"

In regards to the CV for AHPRA:

I am a newly qualified nurse, so will only be including one job in the CV. Should I therefore include a little on the student placements I completed? I'm not sure if that's what they mean when they say "Internship and Observership - Provide in the chronology of the practice history details of internship rotations and any periods of observership"

I included all placements as a student here, as this fits the details they are asking for. I would say it is better to include this than leave it out, as it is asked for.

Hello!! After months if trying to get letters and certs/transcripts and getting them all signed I am finally ready to send it all off to AHPRA but I just have one question I need help with... q.21 on the form AGOS-40

'do you commit to have appropriate professional indemnity insurance arrangements in place for all practice undertaken during the registration period'

I have in pencil ticked yes- but I actually have no idea what this means :err: Is this something I should already have?????

Hello!! After months if trying to get letters and certs/transcripts and getting them all signed I am finally ready to send it all off to AHPRA but I just have one question I need help with... q.21 on the form AGOS-40

'do you commit to have appropriate professional indemnity insurance arrangements in place for all practice undertaken during the registration period'

I have in pencil ticked yes- but I actually have no idea what this means :err: Is this something I should already have?????

Are you registered with the RCN? They will cover you in Australia? My first agency I worked for in Australia included indemnity insurance whilst I was employed by them. Where are you sending your application? I would avoid sending it to Sydney or Melbourne. I sent my application to Perth and it took 6 weeks to process. Good luck :)

Are you registered with the RCN? They will cover you in Australia? My first agency I worked for in Australia included indemnity insurance whilst I was employed by them. Where are you sending your application? I would avoid sending it to Sydney or Melbourne. I sent my application to Perth and it took 6 weeks to process. Good luck :)

Im a registered children's nurse. I just don't understand the question and what I need to do for it. So I ticked yes. I'm planning to send my application to perth. I then have to start the process for ANMAC And visa but thought I would start with AHPRA with the view of potentially getting a working visa.

Just so you know RCN will not cover you in Australia, they changed their indemnity insurance policy recently. I had assumed they did (they use to) but if you go and read the latest documents it is not covered.

Im a registered children's nurse. I just don't understand the question and what I need to do for it. So I ticked yes. I'm planning to send my application to perth. I then have to start the process for ANMAC And visa but thought I would start with AHPRA with the view of potentially getting a working visa.

Basically you need a type of insurance called indemnity insurance, without this you are NOT allowed to work as a registered nurse. Similarly in the UK you need this, however in the UK the NHS or Unions usually provide it.

This question is asking if you plan to get this insurance, it is a pointless question as if you tick no you are not allowed to work and therefore your application will be rejected.

By ticking yes you are agreeing that once you arrive it is your responsibility to make sure you have this insurance, either through a 3rd party, a union or an employer.

Edited by mgreaves