NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

And many have already received PR visas and emigrated on the basis of the ANMAC assessment. But unable to work because AHPRA don't agree! Unless you have a UK degree already Barwick?

I'm 1 of them, living here on a 190 visa since March! Application received 21/10/14, currently in Sydney office being 'finalised'. Would be home except hubby got a great job and is supporting our family.

It's gonna end up going down the legal and/or press route!! The employers, agencies etc are not aware of any of this! Nightmare....

Is it a guy on this thread that rang AHPRA and was told Diploma applicants are wasting their time.....shocking stuff :(

Also, so AHPRA direct you to AQF for criteria 4 and then they direct you to TRA who when you go on to their website direct you to ANMAC....tell me I'm going mad!!!

Edited by Kim Irvine

I'm 1 of them, living here on a 190 visa since March! Application received 21/10/14, currently in Sydney office being 'finalised'. Would be home except hubby got a great job and is supporting our family.

It's gonna end up going down the legal and/or press route!! The employers, agencies etc are not aware of any of this! Nightmare....

I'll be joining you in November Kim! I'm not going to let AHPRA ruin the dream I've been working towards for more than 3 years!

I really do hope the press pick up on it. At expos and recruitment drives, it's all about how Oz have enough newly qualified nurses, and wanted to recruit more experienced nurses! It's just madness!

I'll be joining you in November Kim! I'm not going to let AHPRA ruin the dream I've been working towards for more than 3 years!

I really do hope the press pick up on it. At expos and recruitment drives, it's all about how Oz have enough newly qualified nurses, and wanted to recruit more experienced nurses! It's just madness!

That's correct, they love experienced UK nurses here and those I have spoken to def don't know about all this chaos....I have the details of my local councils mental health minister and if I don't get registered I will be contacting her!

Hi. I have a diploma only as I qualified back in 1993. I came out on a parent visa and assumed, as told by AMNAC, that my qualification would be approved here. I applied in January and have now been told by AHPRA it is only equivalent to a level 5 and I need to retrain as an EN for 18mths! The TAFE colleges will take into account prior learning and because I have been here for under a year I can get reduced costs. from $22500 down to £10500. You can only do a bridging course if assessed at level 6. It is a joke. I trained for 3 years. The ENs here for only 18months. how is this equivalent? I was expecting to be told I needed some kind of a training programme to make sure I knew about Australian legislation etc. but not this. Working as an AIN for an agency and may have to do that for the next 10 years unless something or someone can change their minds.

Hi. I have a diploma only as I qualified back in 1993. I came out on a parent visa and assumed, as told by AMNAC, that my qualification would be approved here. I applied in January and have now been told by AHPRA it is only equivalent to a level 5 and I need to retrain as an EN for 18mths! The TAFE colleges will take into account prior learning and because I have been here for under a year I can get reduced costs. from $22500 down to £10500. You can only do a bridging course if assessed at level 6. It is a joke. I trained for 3 years. The ENs here for only 18months. how is this equivalent? I was expecting to be told I needed some kind of a training programme to make sure I knew about Australian legislation etc. but not this. Working as an AIN for an agency and may have to do that for the next 10 years unless something or someone can change their minds.

That was a very quick response given lots of applicants inc myself have been waiting much longer?!

I'm sure your gutted....bloody joke the whole thing!

That's dreadful, and think many of us heading that way too I'm afraid! Did you do any further courses or modules once you qualified? And if so, did they ask for evidence about them?

Hi Danielle

That's very interesting!! Considering that AHPRA website directs you to AQF framework. I think I will contact them via email, hopefully I will get the same answer as you ( hopefully they will be more consistant than AHPRA). Then there will be two of us with evidence from AQF.

Thanks for the link, I will also contact them and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Hi Danielle and Squirrel, I've just sent email to AQF too, maybe if a few of us do, it might become apparent, that it doesn't appear to have been applied correctly in our case, even their advanced diploma is only 1.5-2 years in length, and that is AQF 6, at the very least. And when you read it, ANMAC have used it correctly, which is why our 3 year course was compared to batchelors, as our training covered all that is required for AQF 7 specification.

AQF state they enable 'comparability of Aus and international qualifications' and as many of us are having our 3 year course assessed as equivalent to a 1.5 year course, and being refused, seems that AQF need to address how their framework is being implemented!

Edited by geordiegirl68
grammar

Hi Danielle and Squirrel, I've just sent email to AQF too, maybe if a few of us do, it might become apparent, that it doesn't appear to have been applied correctly in our case, even their advanced diploma is only 1.5-2 years in length, and that is AQF 6, at the very least. And when you read it, ANMAC have used it correctly, which is why our 3 year course was compared to batchelors, as our training covered all that is required for AQF 7 specification.

AQF state they enable 'comparability of Aus and international qualifications' and as many of us are having our 3 year course assessed as equivalent to a 1.5 year course, and being refused, seems that AQF need to address how their framework is being implemented!

ive emailed AQF back and informed them about ahpra and that our diploma is a 3 year university course and that with extra credits what would it be compared to again. I will let you know what my reply is. If anmac did it that way following that surely they all should!

Hi

I've also emailed both the AQF and the TRA. Hopefully we'll get a response from them soon. I've asked where they would place a uk diploma in their framework as ahpra are no longer recognising it and when you ask them about it they don't seem to know an answer for it. I'm also going to contact my local MP tomorrow and the health minister for south australia. I've even been advised to contact adelaide tonight(channel 7) as they would love a story like this.....especially as they have only just had a new election!! I'm not sure I've got the guts to go that far though.

Guest NuriootpaSA
Hi everyone, does anyone know if it's possible for a newly qualified degree level nurse without experience, to gain employment in oz without doing a bridging course?? Thanks

When did you qualify? Have you NO Post Grad experience or haven't you graduated yet?

Hi

I've also emailed both the AQF and the TRA. Hopefully we'll get a response from them soon. I've asked where they would place a uk diploma in their framework as ahpra are no longer recognising it and when you ask them about it they don't seem to know an answer for it. I'm also going to contact my local MP tomorrow and the health minister for south australia. I've even been advised to contact adelaide tonight(channel 7) as they would love a story like this.....especially as they have only just had a new election!! I'm not sure I've got the guts to go that far though.

You go girl, we need someone to fight and get someone to question what on earth ahpra are actually doing!!!!!!!

No I don't have a degree in the UK, only a Dip HE in adult nursing (plus 9 years experience in Theatre Nursing), when AHPRA wrote to me in June asking for further information the only required information on Criterion 2,3 and 8, surely if they had an issue with my level of qualification they would have asked for information regarding criterion 4 as well???

That's what we're all wondering about now! Criteria 4 is about assessing our quals against Aus quals. We are being refused registration on the basis our diploma is being assessed as, at best AQF 6, the equivalent of an 18 month course in Oz! And as no one is asked for further info on criteria 4, we can assume, us Diploma nurses are seen as AQF 5, (Australian diploma) with no consideration forvthe length of course, or course content!! And theatre nurses are in such high demand!! It's mad!!!

Edited by geordiegirl68
gramnat

hi I emailed aqf and as I wanted to know where my diploma and 4 post grad courses were placed and this was their response

Dear Danielle

This Office does not establish the equivalence of overseas qualifications with AQF qualifications. That is done by Trades Recognition Australia . You will need to forward your query to that Office which contact details are at: http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

Still no further forward.

Danielle

Hi Danielle

I was just wondering if you have found anything on nursing frameworks/guidelines that come from the TRA? I can't find anything. I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to the tea and AQF.

Claire

Hello All!

I'm in a similar situation, I'm currently in Perth working as an NA at the hospital that will employ me when (and if!) my AHPRA registration comes through. I'm an advanced diploma trained nurse from the UK, I applied in Oct/Nov last year and received a request for further information for criterias 2,3,5,6 and 8. I have supplied this info and this has been confirmed with AHPRA that they've got everything they need regarding those criteria.

I'm a bit confused after reading the posts on here that other diploma trained nurses are being refused (so sorry guys, I'm devastated for you). Surely if AHPRA regarded my qualification as lower than an Australian bachelor degree they would have asked for further information regarding criteria 4 which states that the my qualification needs to be 'equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree (registered nurse) as a minimum.'?

I will be speaking to the highest up person I can possibly speak to in AHPRA if they refuse my registration as I have been told I need to provide further information on 5 different criteria and then they refuse me on one they didn't request any information for?!

Did any of you guys who got refused get asked for extra info on criteria 4?

Hi Joe,

I am in exactly the same position as you. I am currently working as an N/A in Perth waiting for my application to be refused. I have done a lot of ground work and currently have Mark Mcgowen MP for Rockingham investigating on my behalf. If you would like a chat or possibly meet up to discuss what's been going in then it would be great to have some extra support from someone close by. My email is davetandy1@hotmail.com if you want to drop me a line and il give you a call back.

Emma

Just been on the phone to AHPRA and she said that they require to additional information to check that the course matches an equivalent course in Australia, I asked directly if my Dip HE was a problem and she said they need all the documents to assess whether course is valid for registration or not, so not sure if that's good as she didn't say that they won't be accepting it just that they needed all the information first.

Next step today is chasing the NMC and my University to see if the information required is actually being processed.

I have sent them all kinds of information in regards to my course content. they had proof that I had done over 600 hours on placement, proof that I was competent in medication management, they had a transcript and a letter from my uni confirming everything they requested and I still got knocked back.

Just letting you all know that I have been in touch with the health minister for south Australia and they have said they cant help me with it because AHPRA are an independent body. So I got in touch with the Federal MP's office in Canberra (Peter Dutton) and spoke to a woman there about my situation. At first she said that there was nothing they could do to change the assessment process but when I explained that AHPRA received my form in October and that the new assessment process was not introduced until February she immediately changed her tune and told me to write an email explaining my situation and she would get someone to look into it for me. I've contacted the local MP in my area and they have said to send the email to them as well and they will look into it for me too. Oh and I've sent an email to Adelaide's local TV channel (Adelaide tonight channel 7) explaining how we're all being treated so badly by AHPRA!! I don't know if any of this is going to help the situation were all in at the minute but I feel like I need to do something so I know that I have tried. Hopefully the people who handed their forms in before the new assessment process was introduced will have this reviewed.....I doubt it but I'm going to try anyway!

I suggest that if you are in a similar situation to me that you contact the Federal MP, if they receive a few emails they may feel like they have to investigate it further. The federal MP's email address is minister.dutton@health.gov.au his name is Peter Dutton.

I'll keep you all posted!

I have sent them all kinds of information in regards to my course content. they had proof that I had done over 600 hours on placement, proof that I was competent in medication management, they had a transcript and a letter from my uni confirming everything they requested and I still got knocked back.

Just letting you all know that I have been in touch with the health minister for south Australia and they have said they cant help me with it because AHPRA are an independent body. So I got in touch with the Federal MP's office in Canberra (Peter Dutton) and spoke to a woman there about my situation. At first she said that there was nothing they could do to change the assessment process but when I explained that AHPRA received my form in October and that the new assessment process was not introduced until February she immediately changed her tune and told me to write an email explaining my situation and she would get someone to look into it for me. I've contacted the local MP in my area and they have said to send the email to them as well and they will look into it for me too. Oh and I've sent an email to Adelaide's local TV channel (Adelaide tonight channel 7) explaining how we're all being treated so badly by AHPRA!! I don't know if any of this is going to help the situation were all in at the minute but I feel like I need to do something so I know that I have tried. Hopefully the people who handed their forms in before the new assessment process was introduced will have this reviewed.....I doubt it but I'm going to try anyway!

I suggest that if you are in a similar situation to me that you contact the Federal MP, if they receive a few emails they may feel like they have to investigate it further. The federal MP's email address is minister.dutton@health.gov.au his name is Peter Dutton.

I'll keep you all posted!

Is he an MP country wide or just for SA?

Well I emailed the AQF about the framework and this was the reply

UNCLASSIFIED

Dear Claire

This Office is a policy office and does not establish the equivalence of overseas qualifications with AQF qualifications or deal with professional (nursing) accreditation matters .

That is undertaken by Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) at: http://www.anmac.org.au/about-anmac

ANMAC is the appropriate body to contact with regard to your query.

Kind regards

Victor Korobacz

DIRECTOR (POLICY)

AUSTRALIAN QUALIFICATION FRAMEWORK COUNCIL

Dont anmac assess a diploma as an equivalent to an Australian degree??? And didn't someone have a different reply saying it was TRA that dealt with it? I'm so confused!!