Medicals...

Guest ejbab

Guest ejbab

Hi all

My husband and I are about to start the process of getting permanent residency here in Oz and will have to have the usual medicals etc.

Sorry if loads of people have asked this before but does anyone have any experience of what happens if you suffer from depression? I had a baby 16 months ago and soon after began to suffer from post natal depression. I'm fine now but am still on anti-depressants, so does anyone know if this would automatically mean I'd fail the medical?

Also, my husband's a bit overweight - would this curb his chances?

Thank you!

Best, EJ

Hi EJ,

When i had my medical i do not remember being even asked if i had ever had or suffered from depression - in fact i can´t even rememer them asking if i was on any medication.

Not really sure about the rules & regs for medicals on the weight issue, i shoudnt worry too much cant see that it going to be a problem

cheers

gizmo

Hiya there was a similar post on here a while ago if you fancy having a search ,from what i have read on this borad post natal depression and weight issues will not cause you to fail a medical ,ive got liver disease and they passed me ,try not to worry im sure you will be fine ,

Cal x

Guest ejbab

Thanks so much for that. You've put my mind at least - for the moment at least til I find something else to worry about!

Hi,

They do ask about mental health issues on the medical form and you may be asked to see a psychiatrist. Don't worry about this as it will be routine. If you do have to go you explain the circumstances of your depression, and how it has been treated. You may already be seeing a psychiatrist, in which case ask him for a letter indicating this and that you're recovering/recovered.

Normally with antidepressants (if it is the first episode of illness) you usually remain on them for about 6 months from remaining well, so your Doctor may be considering reducing your antidepressant soon so that you no longer need to take them.

The more info you submit the better.

Ali x

Archived