Australia in Recession and massive job losses

Guest lovediving

Not that i know of mate,most of our hotel was hammers because of the direction you aproach cardiff from,felt sorry for the little hammer kids,in tears bigtime,we had a game of footy with them outside the stadium,about 500 on each side,funny!

I'll always suppote the London teams and was gutted for WH that day. Were beaten by a cracking Gerrard gaol I believe. Can still picture it.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was only 5 when I swapped But I knew Chelsea was in my Heart. Jimmy's a B'stard.

I do Like going West Ham they all give it that over exagerated cockney crap and say they all knew the Krays.

But apart from that they Blinding people top gezzer's and sort of the earths. (With a Pete Beale accent)

Did you meet the Ice creem firm at the FA Cup

The bbC met the icf in Sheffiekls its on my fone, pussies

Guest bowbrum03
Is this in the Uk or Australia (or both) you are refering to?

Are you in the construction trade yourself?

Kelly :v_SPIN:

Hi Kelly,

I am referring to Australia Perth, but have also worked in Brisbane, and yes I am a contracts manager in construction. The project I am on finishes end of May, which is a block of shops and offices.

The company I work for don’t even have any tenders going out at present, that has not happened since they was formed in 1995. But hopefully I have a job lined up for a site manager with a different company $25k less.

The residential side is dead, house builders last year were selling on average 30 per month you are now lucky to sell 2. The commercial side is going the same way all projects put on hold.

I have friends who are architects and good ones too, their phones have not ringed for months now. I think that just about says it all.

Readers may think this is a negative post as always, but this is how it is, and people should get there head out of the sand if they think any different. My friend says it could last 18 months, if it dose pick up I will be first to post the good news.

Hi Guys

If all goes well I am hoping to go to Oz by Christmas 2009

I am a self employed painter and decorator and have run my own company for 20 years

Whats the work situation like in perth at the moment any feed back would be good

Andy L

Guest littlesarah

Hello all,

I like to think that for every negative there is a positive - if there are architects & builders looking for work, it should mean that those of us with plans to build a place will find it easy to get the trades we need!

The predictions are that the UK will be the worst affected Western country, & I think this may well be the case.

I'm not saying that Aus is nirvana of some kind, which remains untouched by global events; but I feel that economic recovery is likely to be less difficult for Australia than the UK. But the only way we'll know is to wait and see...

Guest lovediving

Japan has had its worst financials since the world war on the news today, this will inevitably impact Australia and New Zealand with a lot of Japanese businesses in these regions. Bad news all over the world I think everyone no matter where you are are going to have to work harder than before to make sure you can ride through the bad times.

If you are in the medical field I think you are pretty safe though.

Hi Guys

If all goes well I am hoping to go to Oz by Christmas 2009

I am a self employed painter and decorator and have run my own company for 20 years

Whats the work situation like in perth at the moment any feed back would be good

Andy L

There is still plenty of work around Brisbane for Painters Andy, so dont worry too much. My current clients have only been here 2 weeks and he started work today (he is a painter too),i had found approx 10 vacancies prior to his arrival that suited him, he rang half of them and had a choice of offers. Keep your eye on www.seek.com and www.alljobs.com.au for vacancies.

Hope this helps

Cal x

BowBrum / Lovediving,

I thought I had deleted all the posts earlier regarding the job site. Anyway I had warned the posters and have not heard back. As I say to all potential advertisers please read the forum rules regarding advertising prior to posting on the forum.

Tim

Guest lovediving

Bowbrum, there is a post missing, she was advertising free help in the recession and help writing CV's to get a job, I reported it as when I saw her site could see it was a rip off straight away.

Guest lovediving
BowBrum / Lovediving,

I thought I had deleted all the posts earlier regarding the job site. Anyway I had warned the posters and have not heard back. As I say to all potential advertisers please read the forum rules regarding advertising prior to posting on the forum.

Tim

Oh OK, thanks

Guest bowbrum03
Hello all,

I like to think that for every negative there is a positive - if there are architects & builders looking for work, it should mean that those of us with plans to build a place will find it easy to get the trades we need!

The predictions are that the UK will be the worst affected Western country, & I think this may well be the case.

I'm not saying that Aus is nirvana of some kind, which remains untouched by global events; but I feel that economic recovery is likely to be less difficult for Australia than the UK. But the only way we'll know is to wait and see...

I feel that economic recovery is likely to be less difficult for Australia than the UK.

And who told you this?

The thread starter said Recession and massive job losses.

I don’t think one or two plots of land are going to help the recession, and put thousands of construction workers back in a job.

Just take a big breath and think about it.

Guest proud2beaussie

Certainly BowBrum is right when he says that the construction industry is in a downturn,and that will probably be the case for a while longer,however figures out today show that housing affordability is at it's highest level for five years and mortgage approvals are up,so maybe there is hope yet,it will probably take some time for this positive news to have an effect on the industry but maybe it won't be too long before things pick up,I certainly hope so,for the sake of people who have taken a chance on a new life in Australia and have so far been disappointed.

I can imagine how some of those people feel,but I hope they don't give up too soon,there will be light at the end of the tunnel.I don't know how long it will take-but I'm sure it will happen.

BTW-BowBrum ,I had a look at that site referred to in the above posts-only word I can think of is amateurish,I wouldn't pay a cent for it.

Guest bowbrum03
Bowbrum, there is a post missing, she was advertising free help in the recession and help writing CV's to get a job, I reported it as when I saw her site could see it was a rip off straight away.

Ohhh ok thx,

I have had dealing with Nadine before. Total con merchant.

Small world isn’t it

Guest lovediving
Certainly BowBrum is right when he says that the construction industry is in a downturn,and that will probably be the case for a while longer,however figures out today show that housing affordability is at it's highest level for five years and mortgage approvals are up,so maybe there is hope yet,it will probably take some time for this positive news to have an effect on the industry but maybe it won't be too long before things pick up,I certainly hope so,for the sake of people who have taken a chance on a new life in Australia and have so far been disappointed.

I can imagine how some of those people feel,but I hope they don't give up too soon,there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW-BowBrum ,I had a look at that site referred to in the above posts-only word I can think of is amateurish,I wouldn't pay a cent for it.

Nigel, housing affordability may be the highest for years but its all well and good getting a mortgage but with job stability being so uncertain at the moment, how long can the house be kept if the job goes.

I brought an apartment in Sydney 5 years ago and it is still worth the same now as it was then, so not really sure what the improvement is other than the first time buyers grant and low interest rates. Sydney is definately over priced compared to other places in Australia so my comments are based on Sydney not other cities.

Guest mutikonka

There are still massive skill shortages in some industries - the health service, for example, is crying out for nurses, doctors etc.

Guest lovediving
Ohhh ok thx,

I have had dealing with Nadine before. Total con merchant.

Small world isn’t it

Some people will use any opportunity, preying on people who are uncertain of what they can expect here is just not on, sorry you had to deal with her before.

Guest proud2beaussie
Nigel, housing affordability may be the highest for years but its all well and good getting a mortgage but with job stability being so uncertain at the moment, how long can the house be kept if the job goes.

I brought an apartment in Sydney 5 years ago and it is still worth the same now as it was then, so not really sure what the improvement is other than the first time buyers grant and low interest rates. Sydney is definately over priced compared to other places in Australia so my comments are based on Sydney not other cities.

You obviously completely missed my point which was that as housing affordability improves and mortgage approvals rise then the number of new builds will start to rise slowly which will hopefully lead to a pick up in the construction industry,it is not going to happen in the next week or even the next month but it will happen,I was addressing the comments made by BowBrum about the construction industry.

Th econstruction industry is always the first to slow down in an economic down turn and it is generally the first to start picking up again,it generally takes between 3 to 6 months for improvements in new home starts to flow down to the sub contractors etc

housing affordability is a key economic indicator and all I said,if you had bothered to read it is that it is a good sign-nothing to open champagne about-but if the figures had gotten any worse then I would have said we were in for a long period of pain,we may still have to suffer a while yet,but the housing market is key-if that picks up then the thousands of construction workers who BowBrum is worried about may just have a lifeline-I say MAY-nothing is definite,but things could be much worse.

2 weeks ago I said that the increase in the house price in the UK didn't mean things were rosy just yet,I still believe that ,but I now believe we may be looking at a 18 month recession instead of 2.or even 3 years.

These figures are good news-not spectacular-but good nonetheless.

Guest lovediving
You obviously completely missed my point which was that as housing affordability improves and mortgage approvals rise then the number of new builds will start to rise slowly which will hopefully lead to a pick up in the construction industry,it is not going to happen in the next week or even the next month but it will happen,I was addressing the comments made by BowBrum about the construction industry.

Th econstruction industry is always the first to slow down in an economic down turn and it is generally the first to start picking up again,it generally takes between 3 to 6 months for improvements in new home starts to flow down to the sub contractors etc

housing affordability is a key economic indicator and all I said,if you had bothered to read it is that it is a good sign-nothing to open champagne about-but if the figures had gotten any worse then I would have said we were in for a long period of pain,we may still have to suffer a while yet,but the housing market is key-if that picks up then the thousands of construction workers who BowBrum is worried about may just have a lifeline-I say MAY-nothing is definite,but things could be much worse.

2 weeks ago I said that the increase in the house price in the UK didn't mean things were rosy just yet,I still believe that ,but I now believe we may be looking at a 18 month recession instead of 2.or even 3 years.

What's with the tone of your reply.....:nah: I think my point is valid with regards to the home ownership situation.....

Australia is in a big recession right now, predicting 18 months, well we don't have a crystal ball, other factors may make things better or worse such as global situations such as disasters, etc. Nobody knew what would happen to the world financial situation until it did, so predicting when it will end unless you have a crystal ball really is invalid. It would be good news of course if it was over asap but until then people need to make the best of the situation and look at ways to get through.

Guest proud2beaussie

You made this comment-

Nigel, housing affordability may be the highest for years but its all well and good getting a mortgage but with job stability being so uncertain at the moment, how long can the house be kept if the job goes

in an attempt to somehow point out that the housing affordability figures don't have anything to do with employment-well they do,and that is what I just pointed out.

sorry if you don't like my tone,but tha's the point I am making,housing affordability is always a key indicator of how an economy is fairing-and how long any downturn will last-always has been,always will be.

BTW -People don't buy houses if they are concerned about whether they can pay for them-well,nobody with any brains would anyway,so the fact that the housing market is picking up is good news and points to a shorter than expected recession-in my view-and my stockbroker today.

Alrite nigel, hope your right mate,i think one of the aspects of this recession from a purely selfish point of view that people have'nt realy mentioned is the "age thing",I.E im 47 in august,the longer it takes to get out of this dip were in, the less likely we are to emigrate,if im close on 50 by the time things have levelled out i will have to think long and hard about going,i know theres loads of brave souls who are going over at 50,60 etc but for me it might not be worth it financially etc,were still "investing" £5k that we have'nt realy got to validate in april/may,who knows..... we might win the lottery this yr! but thats another story,talk about just missing out! we had 5 numbers once,the 6th number out was 18, the bonus ball was 20, what did we have?????yes,number 19:arghh:,£1524 we got ,should be gratefull i suppose,but how annoying!:biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie

I can see where you are coming from Pablo,I guess it must be a pretty tough time at the moment,but I firmly believe that this recession will be a bit shorter than some people expected and that the UK and Australia should see signs of a slow pick up towards the 3rd quarter of this year.

My bank manager and stockbroker both said the same thing to me today and they are pretty good judges,I'm not saying that there isn't a fair bit of pain to come yet-but I don't think it will be as bad as it could have been,I think the US election result has a lot to do with that.

And with that,it's 11.30 pm here so I'm off to bed.goodnight Pablo,night all.

Guest lovediving
I can see where you are coming from Pablo,I guess it must be a pretty tough time at the moment,but I firmly believe that this recession will be a bit shorter than some people expected and that the UK and Australia should see signs of a slow pick up towards the 3rd quarter of this year.

My bank manager and stockbroker both said the same thing to me today and they are pretty good judges,I'm not saying that there isn't a fair bit of pain to come yet-but I don't think it will be as bad as it could have been,I think the US election result has a lot to do with that.

And with that,it's 11.30 pm here so I'm off to bed.goodnight Pablo,night all.

Don't agree we cannot predict how long this is going to last, only today Japan's economy was reported to be the worst since World War II. I don't care what stockbrokers and bankers say as they didn't predict what happened late last year so how can they predict what will happen in 18 months time.

Goodnight.

Archived