Dentists/Orthodontists advice please!

Guest brownfamily

Guest brownfamily

Hi,

We are looking to move out to Sunshine Coast this July and my 13 year old daughter is currently awaiting an appt on the NHS for braces (she has been told that she needs 'train tracks') :goofy:

I am in a bit of a dilema as apparently the Gov't have withdrawn funding for the orthodontists until April and then there will be a 6th month delay on having the braces fitted. I have been told that she can have them done privately over here in a matter of weeks for a cost of £3,000!

Is dentistry/orthodontists over in Australia cheaper or more expensive? My dilema is whether or not to bite the bullet and pay the £3,000 over here or wait until we get to Australia and pay privately there? :twitcy:

Any advice please? :wubclub:

Hev

Guest brownfamily

Hi Jo,

Shannon is exactly the same as she needed to wait for four teeth to fall out (only two more to go!). As we are only doing the two year temporary student visa then it may well be a good idea to come back for the braces to be fitted, so will have a think about it.

Thanks for the advice............don't think we will be having them done in Oz :wink:

Hev

We too have had the same dilemma, we had a 6 month wait just to get an initial appointment for an orthodontist to examine my 11 yr old daughter, he then said we would have a 2 yr wait for the actual braces to be fitted on the NHS, he then went on to say that if we went private she could be sorted straight away at a cost £3000 (no wonder he wears a mask, Im sure he also has a horse called Black Bess!) We then contacted another orthodontist in the area to look at private treatment and he quoted about £1500 but suggested that as we intend to be in Oz middle of this year , it would be better to wait and start treatment over there, as some dentists would take out what was already started and do it their own way. We`ve decided to wait and sort it when in Oz in order to have continuity of treatment.

Guest brownfamily

Ermintrude (does it show my age that I remember her!!)

Thanks, there seems to be a lot of people that are in the same boat (which is nice). I suppose the only up side to private treatment is that she won't have to have the standard train tracks (I was told there are so many nicer options privately).

Did you have a rough idea what it will cost in Oz for the braces? :cool:

Hev

I believe it would be about $4000, which if you want to convert would be about £1500 (roughly) so still cheaper than the £3000 quoted by the first ortho we spoke to. If you are not planning to move to Oz for a year or so I would definately phone round ortho`s in your area and get alternative quotes. We would definately have gone with the second guy we saw (if we were going to be around for whole of treatment) as he wasn`t just trying to grab our money, he was trying to give our daugheter the best advice for her - the first one made me feel like a bad parent for questioning the 3 grand fee -coming out with stuff like "You know they don`t have NHS in Oz so you`ll have to pay private anyway over there" and "If you go private we can start next week and she won`t have to have any teeth taken out"

Archived