Amazed by the Generosity of the Human Spirit..

Guest Trina Findlay

Guest Trina Findlay

I just felt I had to share this with you all - makes me feel extremely humble and overwhelmed.. amazing!

From the ABC website this afternoon:

The flood-affected residents of Ingham in north Queensland are putting their own problems aside the help the victims of the Victorian bushfires.

The clean-up and recovery in Ingham began this morning after one of the worst floods in the region's history.

About 200 residents lined up at the community recovery centre this morning to receive financial assistance from the Queensland Government to replace items lost in the floods.

Many of them have lost everything but say their plight is insignificant compared to the loss of life and damage caused by the Victorian bushfires.

Communities Department spokesman Peter McCarthy says many of them are giving their grants to help bushfire victims.

"A lot of people are coming through and while they've suffered loss themselves and are understandably upset at their loss and the damage that their property might have suffered, a lot of them have made comments to our staff that 'we're not as bad off as the poor people in Victoria', 'thank God we're not in Victoria'," he said.

"Some of them have even said that they plan to give some of the money to the Victorian bushfire appeal."

Mr McCarthy says one concerned man in Ingham want his recovery money directly donated to the appeal.

"And he said 'I'm going to give this money straight to the Victorian fire appeal so you may as well write this cheque out to them, not to me'," Mr McCarthy said.

:hug:

Guest proud2beaussie

Yeah it is fabulous,a real example of true Aussie spirit and mateship,and the belief that there is always someone worse off than yourself.

Thanls for sharing that,Trina.

I think the way Australians put Australia first in terms of charity is commendable. I wish Britain would adopt the same"charity begins at home" mantra.

Also just read that Rudd has been quoted as saying "There's no words to describe it, other than it's mass murder," What punishment befits such a horrendous crime?

It also struck me how a lot of the people who have lost their homes have vowed to rebuild, my first thoughts where why would anyone want to live in a high risk bush fire zone after going through this.

Guest proud2beaussie

You raise an interesting point Aldo,and the same question has been asked before.

After bad bushfires around Melbourne in 1983 people began rebuilding houses in heavily treed areas and the question was asked-why? but some people just have a love of leafy,outlying suburbs.

In Australia bushfire is always a threat and I have no doubt that in another 25 or 30 years the same thing will happen.sad,but I have no doubt about it.

On Friday Coles supermarket are donating all their profits from every store in Australia to the bushfire appeal, I'll certainly try to call in on Friday rather than Saturday

Ali

Hi Ali;

I heard this on ABC Local online. I wonder if it is worth putting this as a seperate thread so it catches more people's attention ?

Deb

Did you hear about the 8yr old who asked her music teacher if the music pupils could go busking to raise money for the appeal and they raised 800 dollars in 40 mins?

Deb

Guest Trina Findlay
Did you hear about the 8yr old who asked her music teacher if the music pupils could go busking to raise money for the appeal and they raised 800 dollars in 40 mins?

Deb

Wow Deb, that's amazing!! I heard about another school where children are donating one of their teddy bears, and are putting a message of hope and support around the teddy's neck, and sending them to children in the affected areas - so touching. I keep getting very emotional hearing about all these stories. It's one thing the Aussies are great for, digging deep and helping their Brothers in a time of need. I've been pleasantly surprised by Kevin Rudd and John Brumby being very "un-politician" about it all - they've shown a "human" side in the last few days.

Archived