Guest kevdutch

457 skills question

Guest kevdutch

Hi i have a question about the skills required for 457 visa?

I have been working in the double glazing industry (self employed) in the uk for 14 years this has involved alot of carpentry and glazing and i class my self as a profesional caprenter/glazier.

I have been offred a sponsor (457) in a glazing company in brisbane but do not have any formal qualifications, will this matter under this visa or is work experince enough to qualify. i know you have to do a skills test for independant visas but it doesnt say anything about it for 457? chears for feedback kev

----------------------------

Visa 457

----------------------------

Long Term Temporary Resident (Subclass 457)

This visa class allows Australian employers to sponsor temporary residence visas for foreign workers. There are three steps involved.

The employer is required to be an approved Business Sponsor (they can apply for this - it takes around 4 weeks for approval, provided they meet the criteria). At this time, they can request a specific number of visas.

Once approved as a Business Sponsor, the employer then has 2 years to allocate the approved visa spots to specific positions. So, they may use one to bring on a Developer, one for a Sales Professional, one for a Recruiter, etc. Provided the position is listed in the ASCO listings (see link below for these) there should be no problem with this. This process is called the Nomination. At the same time, they can specify that they have already identified the person that they would like to fill the role.

The third step is the Visa Application, where the employee applies for the nominated visa position. If the employee meets the criteria specified in the nomination, is under the age of 45, and has a clear medical check, then the visa should be issued.

Pros

It's quick! Once an employer is an approved Business Sponsor, then the actual nomination and application process can take as little as 2 weeks, although more often than not, it takes around 4-6 weeks. Many companies (like mine) apply for multiple visas every two years, so that they can move quickly once a candidate has been identified. This is why we always stress that you should go ahead and apply for positions on websites, even though they say only residents can apply. Many, if not most, of the bigger companies, are already approved sponsors.

Immediate Family, ie spouse/partner and dependant children can accompany the primary sponsor and have unrestricted work rights.

No Points System! Visas are granted on the basis of the visa applicant being suited to the position. For those with no tertiary education, this is a godsend.

Pathway to Permanent Residence!. The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) allows employers to sponsor their 457 temporary residents for Permanent Residency after the have worked in Australia on a fulltime basis for 2 years, and have been with the sponsoring employer for at least the last 12 months. ENS also has no points system, and provided that you pass the medical and character checks, the process can again be quick (anything from 6 weeks to 6 months).

Cons

Work Restrictions! The 457 visa restricts you from working for anyone other than the sponsoring employer. If you leave them, you need to find another employer that is willing to sponsor you, or else leave the country. Because you need 2 years employment under the same code for ENS, you'll also need to make sure that your new employer uses the same code. However, it is a relatively simple process to move, and if you have good skills, then companies are often happy to become your sponsor. I have personally changed employers since arriving last year in November, and there was no problem with it. 4 of my colleagues at my previous company have also all moved on to new sponsors.

A 457 visa grants Temporary Residence only. This means that you will not have access to state benefits like Medicare or Family Assistance / other Social Security benefits. In some states, temporary residents are required to pay School Fees, even in public school. In NSW, these fees are $4500-$5000 per child per annum.

The whole feeling of only being Temporary can feel quite unsettling. However, at the end of the day, 2 years can go by at a rapid speed and you will be eligible to apply for ENS sooner than you think!

In summary, the 457 is a great option if you don't qualify on the points system, or want to move quickly. Although it can be soul destroying to continously apply for positions and be rejected on the basis of residency, keep at it! There are many of us on the forum (and many of the Hosts) that have secured our visas in this way.

If at all possible, identify the big employers in your field and approach them directly. If they are prepared to consider sponsorship, and if you can afford it, try to come out for a week and meet with them personally. My sister and her husband did this and both got job offers, with sponsorships, as a result. It's worth it if you can afford it.

I will try to put together something similar for the 136 (Skilled Independant Visa) in the next month or so. Meantime, I hope this answers at least a couple of questions.

Here's a link to the ASCO Codes.

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

Guest chris_mac
Hi i have a question about the skills required for 457 visa?

I have been working in the double glazing industry (self employed) in the uk for 14 years this has involved alot of carpentry and glazing and i class my self as a profesional caprenter/glazier.

I have been offred a sponsor (457) in a glazing company in brisbane but do not have any formal qualifications, will this matter under this visa or is work experince enough to qualify. i know you have to do a skills test for independant visas but it doesnt say anything about it for 457? chears for feedback kev

Hi Kev Dutch

You need Qualifications otherwise any Australian can do the job so to speak.

Vetassess do assess experience etc and give an equivelent skill level (NVQ II etc) which may be worth looking at..

Trade Skills Assessment

Best wishes

Chris

Guest kevdutch

thanks alot that was very infromative kev

Guest amolbhosekar

I have applied for 457 visa application. Its intra company transfer from India to Sydney office of my company. Its company nominated. The nomination application is approved. The visa pplication was submitted 5 weeks back. Last weel Ienquired with the case officer and the reply I got is-The visa application is under external agency chekcs and the department is awaiting a response from external agency. They can not provide any further information in this matter and at will not be able to provide you with an estimated time-frame.

Can any one explain what this means and how much more time it will take for visa approval.

Thansk please reply

Guest mossy1974

hi i know im butting in on this thread im seriously considering a move to oz i have been fitting for 16 years for at least 3 major companies in the u.k presently Anglian home improvements i am NVQ level two fenestration installation qualified have cis experienced worker card have also done asbestos awareness course have worked with wood , upvc , aluminium curtain walling , conservatories in domestic properties and also commercial what if any are my chances of relocating many thanks please reply .

Hi Kev Dutch

You need Qualifications otherwise any Australian can do the job so to speak.

Vetassess do assess experience etc and give an equivelent skill level (NVQ II etc) which may be worth looking at..

Trade Skills Assessment

Best wishes

Chris

Not strictly true, I know people with no qualifications directly linked to their sponsored trade, who are presently in Oz on a 457 visa

Nomination Lodged 21st of August

Visa application ...22nd of August 186 - 457 Transition

Medicals .. 15/12/2014

Nomination - Extra info required 1/12/2014 - Sent 10/12/2014 - Granted 12/01/2015

Visa Grant - 15/01/2015