Guest itskaren

Are there any PIO members affected by the Victorian fires?

Guest itskaren

I was just wondering if there was anything we could do to help? We have got some friends in Healesville that just about got away with their house being damaged by the 'skin of their teeth'.

Please PM me if there is anything I can do. We have a spare 3 piece suite, beds and bedding etc and lots of boys clothes if required.

Not in an immediate position for support but I just wanted to say thankyou to you Itskaren - I saw that you were on shift at the hospital last night. Having worked through the Canberra bushfires I have an inkling of what is going on down there and my heart goes out to you all - the helpers just as much as those affected. This is a ghastly tragedy for everyone.

Guest itskaren

thanks Quoll. karen xx

On another thread I have just asked if there is anything we as a community can do any sort of aid etc???

Lyn (50) Barry (39) Ross (9) IT WAG !!!

OFFERED 457 ON 18/02/2010 started 457 1/3/2010, CO ON 04/03/10, 457 awarded 16/3/10,arrived 23/4/10

Guest Tim

One Hour Photo - you comments are out of order at this time - posts deleted.

Guest KMS

Hi Karen

Please see my earlier post...

I work on a switch for an Australian Charity - I have been given the following advice if people ring wishing to donate to the Bush Fire Appeal.

At present they are looking for cash donations. You can make these by calling the following numbers:

Red Cross Hotline: 1800 811 700.

Salvation Army: 13 72 58

National Bank: 13 66 22

For people in Victoria who wish to make clothing/food donations, please call either the Red Cross or Salvation Army as they are co-ordinating the appeal together.[/

Guest itskaren
Hi Karen

Please see my earlier post...

I work on a switch for an Australian Charity - I have been given the following advice if people ring wishing to donate to the Bush Fire Appeal.

At present they are looking for cash donations. You can make these by calling the following numbers:

Red Cross Hotline: 1800 811 700.

Salvation Army: 13 72 58

National Bank: 13 66 22

For people in Victoria who wish to make clothing/food donations, please call either the Red Cross or Salvation Army as they are co-ordinating the appeal together.[/

Thanks for that.

Karen xx

Guest JoanneHattersley

Can we please refrain from criticising what should have been done and focus on what CAN be done. The criticisms are incendiary and irrelevent at this time.

Lets get back to the OP question? Are there anyone out there affected and can we help?

Guest Gollywobbler

I disagree.

I think everybody needs to stop griping at one another and ask themselves "What does the term 'victim of a bushfire' actually mean?"

There will be those who suffer physical tragedy and all our hearts go out to them, including One Hour Photo's.

Others will not suffer physically but they will end up bankrupt anyway. If their business depends on the tourist trade then they are very likely to end up flat broke and thousands of dollars in debt through no fault of their own.

What does the insurance policy for a motel or a campsite in Oz say? Does anyone know? Normally "Act of God/Force Majeure" is specifically EXCLUDED from cover, as is "Peril of the Sea."

The scale of tragedy in an event like this actually goes way beyond counting up the number of dead in my view.

Best wishes

Gill

I would like to reinforce the notion that if people want to help then the best resource you can offer is cash. Though that may sound mercenary it is the best thing to do - I know people want to send clothes and food and stuff but that can be a nightmare for volunteer agencies to deal with. Storing it, sorting it and making judgements about whether it is fit to be passed on can take an age - far better give people vouchers for Target so they can get their own t shirts for example. Unless they ask for food, dont send it. We had a huge oversupply of "stuff" when people wanted to help with the Canberra bushfires and though the kindness was there, so much of it wasnt useable. Really, cash will do more good.

Guest EM&M

If you dont want to donate or not in the position too donate money then everyone have some clothes in their drawer they havent worn for ages so why not parcel them and take them to your local Salvo Store (Australia) clearly marked for VICTORIA or QUEENSLAND and they will be sent there. I know I have 2 large bags of kids clothes that were going to the clothing bank anyway so Im going to take them there instead. A girl I know, her dad & sister have both lost their houses in Kindslake and have nothing other than what they are standing. After all one of the reasons I left the UK was because I felt that it had lost its community spirt well nows the time for Australia to come together and help each other. Just my feeling.

Em x

Guest proud2beaussie
I disagree.

I think everybody needs to stop griping at one another and ask themselves "What does the term 'victim of a bushfire' actually mean?"

There will be those who suffer physical tragedy and all our hearts go out to them, including One Hour Photo's.

Others will not suffer physically but they will end up bankrupt anyway. If their business depends on the tourist trade then they are very likely to end up flat broke and thousands of dollars in debt through no fault of their own.

What does the insurance policy for a motel or a campsite in Oz say? Does anyone know? Normally "Act of God/Force Majeure" is specifically EXCLUDED from cover, as is "Peril of the Sea."

The scale of tragedy in an event like this actually goes way beyond counting up the number of dead in my view.

Best wishes

Gill

There are policies available that will provide cover in the event a property is lost due to bushfire but usually these policies come with a substantial excess.

I know of one dairy farm near me that was able to take out bushfire cover but the excess meant that he had to pay the first $25000 of any claim,sounds a lot but for a dairy worth approx $800,000 not a lot really,especially in bushfire prone Australia.

Guest EM&M
I would like to reinforce the notion that if people want to help then the best resource you can offer is cash. Though that may sound mercenary it is the best thing to do - I know people want to send clothes and food and stuff but that can be a nightmare for volunteer agencies to deal with. Storing it, sorting it and making judgements about whether it is fit to be passed on can take an age - far better give people vouchers for Target so they can get their own t shirts for example. Unless they ask for food, dont send it. We had a huge oversupply of "stuff" when people wanted to help with the Canberra bushfires and though the kindness was there, so much of it wasnt useable. Really, cash will do more good.

Hi Quoll sorry I must have posted same time as you and send something totally different! My friend is taking clothing donations for about 25 families in Kingslake, if anyone is interested please pm me for address.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Quoll

You are entirely right. Moving mountain of clothes, blankets etc simply causes so many logistical headaches for the aid egencies (not to mention the cost of moving the kit into the region) that in the end it makes more sense to donate hard cash via one of the banks which invariably set up special accounts for the aid agencies.

On the ground, armed with the cash, the aid agencies can assess what is needed and organise getting it.

A doctor who worked with Save the Children in Bangladesh for a couple of years told me, "Blankets and clothes turn up by the planeload within minutes. Vaccines to prevent cholera and typhoid take weeks to arrive. Nothing of value to cleaning up the water supply arrives in time either. Thousands die needlessly simply because the wrong resources arrive fast but the ones that would actually be useful take forever to turn up."

Probably less acute in Oz than elsewhere because of the very, very high health standards in Oz.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Trina Findlay

That's exactly what the messages on ABC radio and website have said this morning, Quoll - cash donations seem to be the best way people can help, more than clothes etc

Guest Deb62

Hi All;

We still have an Australian bank account and would like to donate. Can anyone tell me how we do it from the UK?

Deb

Guest caroline
Hi All;

We still have an Australian bank account and would like to donate. Can anyone tell me how we do it from the UK?

Deb

Australian Red Cross

Guest mandisfam

Hi folks, I wonder if we as the UK will start a countrywide collection, Im thinking along the lines when the Tsunami happened. Didnt we have DEC collection going on??? Im wonder if something similar will happen for this???

Sorry this post is not much help but just a thought.

Mandisfam