Lots of questions, help needed from fellow nurses :)

Guest gilbert and sullivan

Hi there

I am hoping that as there are lots of people on here all with different experiences together you can help answer some of my questions. Next week when ive finished my week of night shifts I am going to really get the ball rolling and in order to do so i was hoping if i posted my questions now that leaves some time for you all to answer before i start doing it all, so basically if anyone can help on the following:

1.Nursing registration - can the copies be certified by a JP and can you take your own copies and just get them stamped, I thought they had to photocopy them as well.

2. Satement of service from employer - I am getting this from HR and they have given me a letter to fill in to request it but is only for my current job, do you need a statement for each job you have done?

3. I am hoping to go on 457 and bring the OH along on it, who decides whether he can come on it? is it the empoyer sonsoring me or DIAC?

On a 457 am i right in thinking you dont need a skills assessment doing by ANMC

4. On a 457 do you still need to get the NMC to send veification to the WA nursing board, i thought you did but then a post i read on here earlier got me questionning it?

I will have a lot more questions but thats all i can think of for now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Guest NurseFlo

Hi,

You can take your own photocopies to whoever is verifying them - they are signing to say its a true copy of the original (that they have also seen).

Not sure about the employer statement thing - I've only done mine (or had one done should I say) for my present employer

You decide who goes on your 457 - my OH is going in on mine (well, he will if he can get a job)

I'm not sure about the skills assessment as I had to do this for my actual Oz job, not the visa stuff (but they could still ask for it I suppose)

You do need the NMC to send verification to WA health/nursing registration board. They were pretty quick at doing mine (and you can ask them to send it to 4 different territories on the same request form) and they let you know when they've sent it. Only thing is, they use snail mail but thats only about a week or so.

Have fun rooting out all your paperwork! I feel its all I do since starting my 'ball' rolling (so to speak)

Trish x

Guest JoanneHattersley
1.Nursing registration - can the copies be certified by a JP and can you take your own copies and just get them stamped, I thought they had to photocopy them as well.

Take your copies to JP and the originals and they will certify them

2. Satement of service from employer - I am getting this from HR and they have given me a letter to fill in to request it but is only for my current job, do you need a statement for each job you have done?

I only needed from current job

3. I am hoping to go on 457 and bring the OH along on it, who decides whether he can come on it? is it the empoyer sonsoring me or DIAC?

You decide and DIAC agree/disagree! and it is your employer sponsoring you. Do you have a job lined up?

On a 457 am i right in thinking you dont need a skills assessment doing by ANMC

Yes you do need to prove that you meet their skills requirements

4. On a 457 do you still need to get the NMC to send veification to the WA nursing board, i thought you did but then a post i read on here earlier got me questionning it?

NMC MUST verify every RN that works in any state

Thanks both of you for your very helpful advice, I dont have a job lined up yet but I am doing it through an agency who are sending my file off to employers any day now so im hoping to get an interview soon, and the 457 is what im proably going on, although still a little unsure.

Guest JoanneHattersley

457 is known as "the risky visa". If you come on a 457 you are "tied" to your employer for 2 years. If you dont like your employer or leave the job for any reason you have 28 days to locate a new sponsor and employer. If you are unable to do that you have to leave Australia.

It is better to come over on a PR visa (cant remember number but Im sure someone will!). You have more security.

457 is known as "the risky visa". If you come on a 457 you are "tied" to your employer for 2 years. If you dont like your employer or leave the job for any reason you have 28 days to locate a new sponsor and employer. If you are unable to do that you have to leave Australia.

It is better to come over on a PR visa (cant remember number but Im sure someone will!). You have more security.

The thing is I am not actually emigrating, i am just coming over for a year at least (providing we like it) and then going to re assess at the end of the year but high likely we will return at end of year. My understanding is that on a 457 you can work from as little as 6 months to 4 years. I have been informed that if I didnt like the job then I could quit but would need to find new visa or sponsor to be able to stay in country, and agency may be able to help with this, after all be mad to lose a nurse after the effort been put in simply because the job doesnt suit. It is a concern but whats most important is that im not tied in to something, and i can quit even if it means having to retun to UK. I do see your point about PR but without having long term plans im not sure its really right for us. One other question if you dont like your job can you get sponsorship from another employer within same hospital or would you have to go to another hospital?

Guest JoanneHattersley
The thing is I am not actually emigrating, i am just coming over for a year at least (providing we like it) and then going to re assess at the end of the year but high likely we will return at end of year

Getting PR now would help if you do decide to stay. Just because you have a 457 it does not completely guarantee that you WILL get permanent residency. There is just that little more security. Why would you return after a year??? Being nosey now!!!

My understanding is that on a 457 you can work from as little as 6 months to 4 years.

On a 457 you are tied to your employer and you have to work full time for that time.

I have been informed that if I didnt like the job then I could quit but would need to find new visa or sponsor to be able to stay in country, and agency may be able to help with this, after all be mad to lose a nurse after the effort been put in simply because the job doesnt suit.

If you did quit you have the 28 days and it can take all that time. I am still (4 years later) in the job that I started with. I came with NWW Nursing agency and after 4 months my job bought me out of the agency and gave me a job, took over my sponsorship!

It is a concern but whats most important is that im not tied in to something,

You are locked in for 2 years to your sponsor

and i can quit even if it means having to retun to UK.

Would you really want to go back just because you didnt like your job?????

. One other question if you dont like your job can you get sponsorship from another employer within same hospital or would you have to go to another hospital?

You can get sponsorship from anyone that is able to sponsor you!

Guest David1805

Hi,

You are just up the road from me. We live in Mansfield. I have now registered with the Australian and Midwifery Nursing Board of WA. It was quite a lengthy process in the fact I had to get my School of Nuring course transcripts, my post reg course transcripts and my Degree transcripts! But we did get there eventually!! In terms of certificates I did photo copy all of mine in colour then asked a local JP to certify are true copies. I did not get a statement for each of my jobs (too many!!) I just have one from my current employer saying that I have been in post for three years. I did have to get the NMC to send some documentation stating that I was registered and how long for..... of course they charged me for that!.

I managed to get a employer sponsered scheme. I just wrote to WA health saying I was interested in working in Oz and they happen to be recruiting. I did a telephone interview and was offered a job. I am not using an agency but filling all the paperwork myself. WA Health have been very helpful. I suspect at the end of the day it will have saved me quite an amount of money. My visa ia an ENS121 which is a permanency visa.

I would check on the certificate thing because you may well be able to scan them and send them electronically or they may insist on verified copies. Worth checking as it may save some money.

If I can be of any other help please let me know.

David, Beverley and Bethany

Hi David

Thakyou for your help, I have asked my school of nursing for the transcript and they are putting that together for me and just awaiting payment, and I also know a local JP who has agreed to do the certifying for me so now its just a case of making sure i have all the correct Certificates to copy. After speaking to the NMC the othe day i got another statement of entry letter from them which has on it the date i became registered with the NMC and my curent status which says 'effective'. Would this suffice to show my initial and current reg or do i need to send of the separate letters as well which you get when you get your new pin card? its really confusing and not sure im explaining myself correctly.

The copies dont have to be in colour do they as i dont think I know of anywhere that has a colour photocopier??

I am using an agency who i met at the expo i went to in London, they dont charge you anything, I think they are government funded and I stil have to do all the paper work filling in they just find me prospective employers to interview me.

Well thanks once again for your help and good luck with it all.

Guest David1805

Hi,

I When I spoke with the NMC they said they had to send off my statement of entry to the Australian Nursing Board. So I never actually saw it! Where in WA are you thinking of going?

David

Hi,

I When I spoke with the NMC they said they had to send off my statement of entry to the Australian Nursing Board. So I never actually saw it! Where in WA are you thinking of going?

David

We are hoping to go to Perth, where abouts you heading? When i spoke to NMC they said that i sent off my initial and current registration and that once id done that if i called them again they would put me through to verificatin who equally have to send verficiation off. I am still not 100% sure im sending right reg stuff but im gonna have to do it and see. Did you get them to send your transcript or did you do that yourself?

What visa are you going on? and do you have a job lined up?

Guest tandcmum

I am possibly going over on a 457 visa and you do not need to get your skills assessed by the ANMC but you do need to get verification form the NMC sent to the nursing board for your chosen state.

I agree that if you can get a PR form the start it is beneficial for lots of reasons even if you are not planning on staying. We are also saying teh same as you that we are looking on it as a 2/3 year travel and work experience but if we like it we will stay, however the job i have been offered already is on a 457 with PR sponsorship after 3 months which we will do even though we aren't saying we are definatly staying.

However i have a couple of interviews still to go for Ramsay health and for WA health and i've heard they are offering PR visa's so if i can get one of those then i may well go for it

I am possibly going over on a 457 visa and you do not need to get your skills assessed by the ANMC but you do need to get verification form the NMC sent to the nursing board for your chosen state.

I agree that if you can get a PR form the start it is beneficial for lots of reasons even if you are not planning on staying. We are also saying teh same as you that we are looking on it as a 2/3 year travel and work experience but if we like it we will stay, however the job i have been offered already is on a 457 with PR sponsorship after 3 months which we will do even though we aren't saying we are definatly staying.

Must have plenty of money to throw away $ 3500 for pr and not stopping

However i have a couple of interviews still to go for Ramsay health and for WA health and i've heard they are offering PR visa's so if i can get one of those then i may well go for it[/

Guest David1805

Hi,

We are heading to Perth. I have a job at the King Edward Memorial Hospital. In terms of documents. I sent every certificate, all the transcripts. I photocopied enough for me to keep the originals and sent them the copies. I probably went overboard in the number I copied but felt that at least I would have spare copies in case I was asked for them again. I being given an ENS121 permanent residency visa. This is part of the job offer.

David, Beverley and Beth

• 8 months later...

Hi going through same process with my partner.. applying for the 457 visa and have sent registration to the Victorian Nursing Board. I was also wondering if you need to register with the ANMC - as on their website the process (modified assessment, after registration for the state has been done which itself takes approx. 6 weeks) takes approximate 12-14 weeks! If anyone can shed some light there. In regards to work statement, it's just for your current job. You certify documents at a solicitor and you generally just walk in without an appointment and they charge a pound a page - but in our case we had to pay 5 as you have to also make sure they put their full name (not the company) and date and their position. Yes you do need verification from the NMC sent directly to the nursing body in Australia you are registering with. Also your university transcripts - which cost 100 pound to send.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone from previous experience recommend where to send my nursing registration too?? As in quickest reply? Does it matter where I send it because I am wanting to be based in Brisbane but I have heard people waiting up to 5 months for a reply? Has anybody ever used an agency to help with registration? Any advise would really be appreciated.

thanks

• 3 months later...

Archived