At Least 14 Dead In Victorian Bushfires

Guest proud2beaussie

I posted a reply that said I agreed with you having a right to post what you like and people do not have to read it if they do not want to but it was removed....I agree with free speech and should not have argued against it.

Earlswood look under the feedback section.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest proud2beaussie

Thanks for that Earls but in the end I can see smc01's point,although I still find the accusation about exploiting the victims hurtfull,but I am happy to compromise for the good of Pio and I think you had a valid point about me not needing to be a media outlet,but this way I can still keep people updated and others who don't wish to read the stories don't need to so everybody wins..

Stay cool,mate.(I'll seek you out and buy you a beer one day when I get to the UK !)

Hi Guys;

I think all of us in UK or Oz who have been impacted in anyway by the fires and who have followed the news closely all week are feeling a bit emotionally volatile right now. We really need to stick together and be supportive. I feel like I can't deal with bickering or smart comments at all. We all need a bit of kindness.

For us in the UK there isn't even anyone we can talk to about how we are feeling, no one shares the grief we have, the sadness and the heaviness. Right now I can't stop the tears again and I am shaking. It's life as normal for everyone else. I feel so out of step. I've more or less been running on Victorian time as I've had ABC local radio on constantly listening for updates. I snap at people for moaning about the rain. All I can do is talk to my family in Victoria everyday and check how they are, and it feels so far away.

Lets all just get along and support each other for awhile, hey? I love it that people on PIO are largely considerate, most of the digs are just joshing, and I'm so grateful for people's ability to care and to apologise when appropriate,

sorry, having a bad day, I think now the immediate danger has died down, the impact has started to set in. I hope I haven't posted out of line. I don't feel I am able to judge right now with my emotions all over the place.

smc01, my thoughts and prayers are especially with you still,

God bless,

Deb

I think everyone is very sensitive about what is going on in Victoria my posting was something for people to read to understand more how these things happen so quickly. Alot of our members are unaware of how quickly bushfires consume, I certainly wasn't, until I read the story I posted the link for.

Guest treesea
Court allows arson accused to be named

Court allows arson accused to be named.

Is that usual? Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?" Or do they have a confession?

On a more poignant note, I saw a moment of magic today - Tim Cahill scoring in the fifth round of the FA Cup for Everton and pointing to his black armband, in mourning for the Victorians lost in the fires.

Guest proud2beaussie

Under the Australian legal system there has to be a very compelling reason to issue/continue with a supression order,obviously in this case the judge has decided that naming him will not prejudice his right to a fair trial.

The gesture in pointing to his armband is a very touching one,congratulations to him for doing it.

Very nice.

N'OZ

Guest treesea
Victoria is a large place about the same size as the UK, the bushfires are in the mountains east of Melbourne, Most people in Victoria aren't directly in danger from them.

How close to a fast moving fire does one have to be to not be "directly in danger"? When we lived in Melbourne our last house was in North Croydon, 20 km directly south of St Andrews. The estimated speed of the Kinglake fire was 60km an hour. 10 km every ten minutes. 20 minutes away from our old house, and yes, it backed onto bush. Friends of ours in Wonga Park evacuated, (just to the north of North Croydon), which I think was sensible. I would have done the same.

Guest proud2beaussie

This sort of thing makes me very angry-How sick is this person ?

Woman falsely claimed bushfire benefits

A Victorian woman has been charged with fraudulently claiming her father was killed in the state's deadly bushfires in order to receive compensation payments.

Victoria Police allege the 31-year-old Sunshine woman made a $10,000 compassion and bereavement application to the Victoria Bushfire Appeal Fund which was denied after its checks found there was no relationship between her and the deceased.

She is also accused of claiming $5,000 from Centrelink's funeral fund which was approved.

Detectives from the Melbourne Criminal Investigation Unit charged her on Thursday night with attempting to obtain property by deception and obtaining property by deception.

She was bailed to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates Court on April 14.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest proud2beaussie

I would urge all Victorian PIO members to read the following press release and follow the suggestions-let's hope it all fizzles out to nothing.

Community Safety Message - Extreme weather threat

Victorians will face severe storm and fire weather on Monday night, Tuesday and Wednesday, consisting of extremely high winds across the whole of the state. This will be compounded by on-going fires and dry conditions.

Increasing temperatures and strong northerly winds are predicted for Monday night. The extreme conditions will continue on Tuesday and into Wednesday, with the onset of high winds as part of a south-westerly weather change.

Community preparation

Bob Cameron, Minister for Police and Emergency Services, and the state’s emergency services chiefs, warn that everyone, right across the state, needs to be prepared.

• Closely monitor updates on ABC radio, work closely with the emergency services over coming days to protect life and property, keep an eye out for your neighbours and check on the elderly and people with special needs.

• The CFA has declared a day of total fire ban for the whole state of Victoria on Monday 3 March, and most likely for Tuesday 4 March.

• Stay vigilant and have a well-practised fire plan. With the weather conditions starting on Monday night, consider activating your fire plan, including the decision to leave, on Monday, not Tuesday, when it could be too late.

• If your decision is to leave, you should contact a friend or relative and on arrival contact Red Cross to register your new address on 1800 727 077. You should aim to arrive at your destination during daylight hours on Monday.

• DSE advises that people living in the general areas of the Upper Yarra Valley and between Woods Point and Jamieson should be on high alert over coming days.

• Due to the strong winds, need to ensure that items around your property such as outdoor furniture and playground equipment are secured.

• Do not park or shelter under trees, and only contact VICSES on 132 500 when there is a need for assistance to access or leave property. VICSES is not a home maintenance service and residents should only call 132 500 when essential assistance is needed to make their property safe.

• Purchase a battery operated radio and torch, and tune to ABC Radio for updates and alerts.

• Victoria also faces potential localised and regional power disruptions that may impact home communications and lighting. These disruptions may also affect public transport with road, train, and pedestrian crossings impacted, so keep your travel to a minimum.

• Driving in fire affected areas is extremely dangerous and should be avoided. Safety must be the utmost consideration and when on the road please be patient and give way to emergency services vehicles.

• Schools across the state are assessing their risk plans and some may close as they did on Friday 27 February.

For further information go to www.vic.gov.au, or call 1800 240 667 – Victorian Bushfire and Storm Information Line (VBIL)

In emergencies call 000.

For storm assistance call 132 500.

For current fire information and advice on when communities should implement their bushfire plan, see Fire Updates

Other links

fireready.vic.gov.au

Fires Today

Bushfire safety and health

Be BushfireSmart when travelling

Archived