At Least 14 Dead In Victorian Bushfires

Guest proud2beaussie

Guest proud2beaussie

From At least 14 dead in Victoria bushfires

Fourteen people have been killed in the savage bushfires which set Victoria ablaze on Saturday.

Victoria police confirmed the deaths on Saturday night and said they fear the figure may reach into the 40s.

Deputy police commissioner Kieran Walshe said all the deaths were in a massive blaze northwest of Melbourne - six at Kinglake, four at nearby Wandong, three at Strathewen and one in Clonbinane.

Mr Walshe said he believed the Kinglake victims were all in the same car.

He believed arsonists were responsible for some of the nine major fires ripping across the state.

"We suspect a number of the fires have been deliberately lit," Mr Walshe told reporters.

"This is an absolute tragedy for the state and we believe the figure may even get worse," Mr Walshe said.

"We base that on the fact we're only just getting into these areas now ... to search buildings and properties these have been very very significant fires ... the figure could get into the 40s."

The fire started in East Kilmore, 80km north of Melbourne, and covered a huge area as it pushed 30km east to Kinglake, through the small townships of Wandong, Strathewen and Clonbinane.

Mr Walshe said he could not determine whether the victims were civilians or firefighters. He said identifications could not be carried out until at least Sunday.

Kinglake resident Peter Mitchell said the town had no time to act as the fire raced through.

"The whole township is pretty much on fire," Peter Mitchell told ABC Radio.

"There was no time to do anything ... it came through in minutes.

"There'll be a massive loss of houses ... there'll be a lot of us homeless.

"All those who have made it into town will be fine. The others will be sheltering and working on their fire plans, God help them."

Mr Mitchell said he was with around 200 residents holed up in the local pub and that no fire trucks could get into the town.

The Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) said at least 100 homes have been destroyed as nine major blazes burnt out of control across Victoria in the worst fire conditions in the state's history.

The Ash Wednesday fires in February, 1983 claimed 47 lives in Victoria and 28 in South Australia and remain the deadliest bushfire in Australian history.

I am sure I speak for all PiO members in wishing anyone involved the very best,our thoughts are with you.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest earlswood

47.9 in Avalon near Geelong and there were unconfirmed reports of 48 degrees in the north-western town of Hopetoun.

That is

118.4 degrees Fahrenheit ...that is not funny..:err:

Guest mandisfam

Update folks:

UPDATE 7.03am AT least 25 people have been killed in Victoria's worst bushfires since Ash Wednesday, with the death toll expected to rise.

Authorities will begin to assess some of the most horrific blazes the state has even seen as dawn breaks, with fears the death toll could rise dramatically.

Police suspect a number of the fires were deliberately lit.

A CFA spokesman could not confirm the number of bushfire deaths this morning.

It must be so frightening for all involved.

Guest proud2beaussie
Police suspect a number of the fires were deliberately lit

I would like to say what I would do to anyone I caught lighting fires on a day like that but I'm not allowed to use language like that,suffice to say,I'd make the b*****d suffer.

What makes it worse is that some b*st*rds actually started some of the fires. I think that makes it harder to deal with them than if they were lightning strike starts. That's a horrific death toll - and possibly growing too. My heart goes out to them all, it's a horrible situation. Thank God for the RFS.

Hi;

I cannot even begin to understand what is in the mind of someone who would deliberately start a bushfire. My sister in law and family live in Beechworth and my daughter is there for the uni vac. They are threatened by fire. We had a phone call this morning on a mobile to say they were ok, but the phones and electricity are out and we can't contact them. It's been a horrible day. I saw in the Age on line that the Beechworth fire has been downgraded sunday morning Oz time, but that they must stay alert. It's horrible being this far away. I just want to be with them. My sister in law was in the Ash Wednesday fires and it had a huge impact on her. I'm worried how my daughter will feel being so close to it all. You just so feel so helpless, I just want to give her a big hug. Going now,

Deb

Guest proud2beaussie

Please don't worry Deb,the Beechworth fire has slowed down a lot and the local fire brigade commander thinks they can round it up today,the local emergency services people like police etc have all been working through the night to keep people out of danger,some of them have been on duty since yesterday lunch time,every possible thing that can be done is being done.

I can understand that you are worried but please accept that our thoughts are with you and your family.as long as your family here are safe then that is all that really matters.don't worry too much.

N'OZ

Please don't worry Deb,the Beechworth fire has slowed down a lot and the local fire brigade commander thinks they can round it up today,the local emergency services people like police etc have all been working through the night to keep people out of danger,some of them have been on duty since yesterday lunch time,every possible thing that can be done is being done.

I can understand that you are worried but please accept that our thoughts are with you and your family.as long as your family here are safe then that is all that really matters.don't worry too much.

N'OZ

Thanks so much Nigel. I could kiss you! That's such good news. Fantastic. Can go to bed and get some sleep now!

Praise God for the wonderful Aussie emergency services. They always do an amazing, selfless job.

Thanks again,

Deb :hug:

Thanks so much Nigel. I could kiss you! That's such good news. Fantastic. Can go to bed and get some sleep now!

Praise God for the wonderful Aussie emergency services. They always do an amazing, selfless job.

Thanks again,

Deb :hug:

They certainly do do a fantastic job and I dont think many people realize that they are all regular folk who volunteer their services, most of them arent "paid firemen" just men and women who put their lives on the line for their communities. Let us hope that new migrants take up the volunteer challenge when they get here too.

Glad to hear the news is good from your rellies' area, Deb. We are still waiting to hear from my BIL just west of Bendigo. We can but hope the worst is over.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi;

I cannot even begin to understand what is in the mind of someone who would deliberately start a bushfire. My sister in law and family live in Beechworth and my daughter is there for the uni vac. They are threatened by fire. We had a phone call this morning on a mobile to say they were ok, but the phones and electricity are out and we can't contact them. It's been a horrible day. I saw in the Age on line that the Beechworth fire has been downgraded sunday morning Oz time, but that they must stay alert. It's horrible being this far away. I just want to be with them. My sister in law was in the Ash Wednesday fires and it had a huge impact on her. I'm worried how my daughter will feel being so close to it all. You just so feel so helpless, I just want to give her a big hug. Going now,

Deb

Hi Deb

This is dreadful for you but hopefully you will hear some news soon.

If it is any consolation, about 25 years ago my sister was involved in fleeing from a bush fire in South Australia. She was working as part of a sheep shearing team and I think they were on their way from A to B when the fire started very close by.

Elaine said it was very well organised. They had two-way radios in the shearing team's vehicles so they were in touch with the fire services, who knew where they were and told them which way to go. She said there were water bombers up above absolutely drenching everything and that there was obviously an action plan for fires which worked briliantly when it was needed for real.

It sounds horrific but Elaine and the people she was with escaped without a scratch.

What amazes me is the irresponsible pilocks who start some of these fires deliberately. I don't know whether they get caught. I hope they do.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest proud2beaussie

The latest update is that there are now 66 confirmed deaths in what will turn out to be the blackest day in the states history.Whole towns have been wiped off the map,roads are littered with burnt out cars,some of which had crashed and people had been burnt to death in them.

This is the worst day in my life,although I have not lost anyone this is soul desroying,and to think some of these fires were deliberately lit,let me catch the b******s who lit them.

The state of Victoria will take ages to recover from this.

Guest thedobsons

i take back my comment from a previous thread that i wish i was too hot !!

This is terrable those poor poor people and their families,, for the fire starters there is somthing wrong with your state of mind !!! i hope they get found and locked up !!

The latest update is that there are now 66 confirmed deaths in what will turn out to be the blackest day in the states history.Whole towns have been wiped off the map,roads are littered with burnt out cars,some of which had crashed and people had been burnt to death in them.

This is the worst day in my life,although I have not lost anyone this is soul desroying,and to think some of these fires were deliberately lit,let me catch the b******s who lit them.

The state of Victoria will take ages to recover from this.

Very very sad Nigel, I think we should be thankful we were not in those areas.

Guest proud2beaussie

Every single person I have spoken to today,even hardened dairy farmers like the 70 year old guy whose farm is next to mine had tears in their eyes today.this is massive devastation the like of which has not been seen since the disastrous black friday bushfires of 1939,even the ash wednesday fires of 1983 were not as widespread although 83 people died in those fires.

This is just a reminder of the state of this country is in.the north of queensland is under water,and a few thousand kilometres south the country is tinderbox dry and ready to burst into flame.

Please take care.

Guest itskaren
From At least 14 dead in Victoria bushfires

Fourteen people have been killed in the savage bushfires which set Victoria ablaze on Saturday.

Victoria police confirmed the deaths on Saturday night and said they fear the figure may reach into the 40s.

Deputy police commissioner Kieran Walshe said all the deaths were in a massive blaze northwest of Melbourne - six at Kinglake, four at nearby Wandong, three at Strathewen and one in Clonbinane.

Mr Walshe said he believed the Kinglake victims were all in the same car.

He believed arsonists were responsible for some of the nine major fires ripping across the state.

"We suspect a number of the fires have been deliberately lit," Mr Walshe told reporters.

"This is an absolute tragedy for the state and we believe the figure may even get worse," Mr Walshe said.

"We base that on the fact we're only just getting into these areas now ... to search buildings and properties these have been very very significant fires ... the figure could get into the 40s."

The fire started in East Kilmore, 80km north of Melbourne, and covered a huge area as it pushed 30km east to Kinglake, through the small townships of Wandong, Strathewen and Clonbinane.

Mr Walshe said he could not determine whether the victims were civilians or firefighters. He said identifications could not be carried out until at least Sunday.

Kinglake resident Peter Mitchell said the town had no time to act as the fire raced through.

"The whole township is pretty much on fire," Peter Mitchell told ABC Radio.

"There was no time to do anything ... it came through in minutes.

"There'll be a massive loss of houses ... there'll be a lot of us homeless.

"All those who have made it into town will be fine. The others will be sheltering and working on their fire plans, God help them."

Mr Mitchell said he was with around 200 residents holed up in the local pub and that no fire trucks could get into the town.

The Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) said at least 100 homes have been destroyed as nine major blazes burnt out of control across Victoria in the worst fire conditions in the state's history.

The Ash Wednesday fires in February, 1983 claimed 47 lives in Victoria and 28 in South Australia and remain the deadliest bushfire in Australian history.

I am sure I speak for all PiO members in wishing anyone involved the very best,our thoughts are with you.

I have just come in from work after a shift in the Emergency Department in Melbourne. It is truely traumatic for all those concerned. Those that have survived some of them will be scarred for the rest of their lives. It makes all of our 'little' problems insignificant.:sad:.

Just watched ITV news about the town of kinglake devastated by bush fires. I hope to god no one has stated these deliberately, I am shocked by the devastation I have just seen on the telly. 85 people dead. my thoughts go out to those who have lost loved ones and those affected by this. Stay safe and god bless.

Guest proud2beaussie

The latest is that 108 people are now confirmed to have died as a result of these fires.

the 108 includes a man named Brain Naylor who was a former television newsreader on Melbournes Channel 9 for many years,he and his wife were killed when fire engulfed their Kinglake home on Saturday.

R.I.P Brian.

http://ninemsn.com.au/

Guest earlswood

I am finding this quite disturbing with the headcount going up and up, these poor people.

Also lets not forget the poor wildlife that is also trapped and with no hope.

Hi All;

I'm finding it hard to think about any thing but the fires. I can't help myself, I've been reading the news articles today by people who have been through such terrible things, trying to understand what it must be like to be there. I can't.

We got hold of my daughter on the mobile this morning, but while we were talking to her I could here the local radio in the background saying the Beechworth fire was being upgraded. A bit later I heard them read out a list of all the roads out of Beechworth that were now shut. It was about all the routes out of town, with Lizzy stuck in there and the fire 4kms from the door. They have their bags packed and the car at the end of the driveway. They were supposed to leave for Melbourne early in the day, but the Hume Highway is shut. There's not really anywhere they can go that is sure to be safe.From here I just feel like 'please just get out of there. Do anything, go anywhere, get on a plane.' But I realize when you are on the ground making the decision about what to do is probably not so clear cut. So today has again been a tense waiting game, watching which way the wind blows. I believe that at the moment the fire is moving away from them thank God. My brother in law and nephew were involved in putting out the Stanley fire earlier when a power line came down and started a grass fire just by them. Nothing else really seems important in the face of what is happening,

Deb

p.s.thanks to everyone who has posted for me, the support does make a difference.

Archived