Thoughts and Prayers Tonight

Guest The Pom Queen

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live near the base of the Dandenong Ranges, I can see them out the window. Thankfully, apart from a fire in Ferntree Gully yesterday, there were no fires in the Ranges, although my friend there said they were keeping a lookout as they are on the back of the State Forest there, as they would certainly have to make a run for it. I went to Westfield Knox last night to the cinema and the air was thick with smoke, it was billowing up from the Ferntree Gully fire.

My son also said the fires in Bendigo in northern Victoria were burning 3 blocks from his house, they made a run for it to another town to get away from the smoke. It has been a Black Saturday indeed, can't believe Marysville is gone, such a beautiful town, what a shock.

Guest proud2beaussie
I live near the base of the Dandenong Ranges, I can see them out the window. Thankfully, apart from a fire in Ferntree Gully yesterday, there were no fires in the Ranges, although my friend there said they were keeping a lookout as they are on the back of the State Forest there, as they would certainly have to make a run for it. I went to Westfield Knox last night to the cinema and the air was thick with smoke, it was billowing up from the Ferntree Gully fire.

My son also said the fires in Bendigo in northern Victoria were burning 3 blocks from his house, they made a run for it to another town to get away from the smoke. It has been a Black Saturday indeed, can't believe Marysville is gone, such a beautiful town, what a shock.

Yes indeed,

Being annoyed with the heat is one thing,losing your house and belongings and everything you hold dear is totally different.

All the best to everyone affected by this most tragic event.

N'OZ

It's times like this when you realise how thankful we are to the CFA voluteers. Imagine if they all turned round and said they didn't want to work tonight as they had a special dinner, the state would burn!!!!!

It's a sobering thought isn't it? I know two of those volunteers...a father and son. They have both been out for eight hours plus, though at different times. The son has just turned 16 (December) and so is only just old enough to be out there. And out there he is. He came back at 3am last night to tell his mum that he'd seen a dead body. It seems strange to hear that from the boy who visited at Christmas trying to pick up an internet signal from the Adelaide police station! I am so proud of them- and the many others in each state who we depend on for our safety and call on when we are most in need. :notworthy:

Oh and they did have a special dinner to go to too! :twitcy:My friend ended up cancelling her birthday dinner for twelve and picked at cheese and biscuits whilst waiting for her men to get home, together again.

Hugs (I've used up my smilie quota!) to you all. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with you all.

Caroline.

I live in Ferntree Gully. The CFA had 9 fire trucks at the FTG fire, they knew they had to stop it before it reached the Dandenongs & they obviously did a great job.

I came out of Knox shopping centre yesterday afternoon & saw heaps of smoke from what I thought was the Dandenongs, my heart skipped a few beats but as we got close to FTG we could see the fire was beyond the Dandenongs & was probably the Bunyip fire.

Very scary day though & one I hope we never see again.

I took this pic from my decking, it shows the sun trying to shine through the smoke.

smokesky.jpg

Thanks for the pic, that's what I saw too from my place, and also from Knox Shopping Centre, we just didn't expect to wake up to the news this morning of so much devastation, can't believe it.

Yeah I know what you mean. Its heartbreaking watching family after family who have lost everything & even worse seeing those who have lost loved ones.

Very sad day for Victoria.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Our thoughts go out to all those affected by the fires and our heartfelt gratitude and thanks to those working to keep the devastation at bay x

I cannot believe whats happening out there - my thoughts are with all of you, who are caught up in this horrer. Puts the bit of snow we have over here in perspective...

Keep safe folks x

Guest proud2beaussie

As an ex CFA/SES volunteer myself I think the thing that is most concerning me is that these fires are so fast and are spreading so quickly that it could take 2 or even 3 months to finally put them all out completly unless we get very heavy rain very soon,these fires are burning in long,tinder dry undergrowth that is ready to burst into flame with the right conditions so we need to get as much heat out of the ground as we can ,and the only way to do that effectively is water,and lots of it.

that's why I think it could be April before these fires are out.and that is a very scary thought because if we get a dry thunderstorm with lightning then the whole thing could destroy millions of acres.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Hi guys

Well just want to say my thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is out there tonight still fighting these fires and to all the people who have been affected. I don't think many places have been spared. 3 homes were lost in the next suburb to us and I know some of our members have been advised to leave their homes. If there is anything we can do for you just shout.:notworthy:

With family in three different areas around Melbourne and lots of friends I have had lots of concerns about the fires.

I am glad to see that you are o.k. my thoughts are with you.

Hi all

I just heard on the news that the death toll is now at 96. My heart goes out to all those affected. I can't imagine what they are going through.

Guest The Pom Queen
Olly, any update with Emerald at all please?

Hi TACD

Just got home now after picking up a family from the airport and dropping them off in the Dandenongs, just drove through Emerald at 1.55am our time and no problems at all there, everyone looked fast asleep. Off to bed now but thought I would just email a quick update so that you weren't worrying.:wubclub:

Guest treesea

If anyone would like to follow this online, ABC radio in Melbourne are live streaming. "www.abc.net.au", then go down to local radio, on the right hand side and type in post code 3000. This goes to another screen. Choose Melbourne, Vic, and then, at the next screen, windows or real (real player) to start the audio stream.

Guest Trina Findlay

There's a link on the ABC website as to how we can all help:

http://blogs.abc.net.au/victoria/2009/02/offer-help---or.html

Apparently the Blood Bank have been absolutely inundated with blood donations, which is just amazing, and they have said that they now have more than enough to see them through. Offers of cash donations are most welcome at the moment..

My heartfelt love and support goes out to everyone around the state. We've all been on an emotional rollercoaster in the last 48 hours. Feeling grief for those who have lost loved ones and everything own, then the next moment feeling in absolute awe and admiration for the CFA and the kindness shown as the Victorian Community as a whole (and the whole of Australia) has rallied around to help in whatever way they can. Mixed in with that is a sense of outrage and fury, not only at the Firebugs and thoughtless people who left cigarette butts burning, but also at the "sightseers" who have been hampering the rescue efforts - one report talked of a busload of Japanese tourists heading into a disaster zone, if you can get your head around it.. :mad:

I heard this morning that some ***)(**&&&&^^%%s even broke into Geelong firestation and stole the firefighters' possessions... it's left me speechless!!!!!

Thinking of you all at this terrifying and sobering time

Trina

:hug:

Archived