Thoughts and Prayers Tonight

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi guys

Well just want to say my thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is out there tonight still fighting these fires and to all the people who have been affected. I don't think many places have been spared. 3 homes were lost in the next suburb to us and I know some of our members have been advised to leave their homes. If there is anything we can do for you just shout.:notworthy:

Here is the latest news update:

BREAKING NEWS BUSHFIRES have killed at least 14 and many more are feared dead as Victoria reels from the worst fires since Ash Wednesday.

Victoria police confirmed the deaths on Saturday night and said they fear the figure may be more than 40.

Deputy police commissioner Kieran Walshe said all of the deaths were in a massive blaze northwest of Melbourne - six at Kinglake, four at nearby Wandong, three at Strathewen and one in Clonbinane.

Mr Walshe said he believed the Kinglake victims were all in the same car. The Strethewen victims were also believed to be in a single vehicle.

He believed arsonists were responsible for some of the nine major fires ripping across the state.

"We suspect a number of the fires have been deliberately lit,'' Mr Walshe told reporters.

Mr Walshe said he could not determine whether the victims were civilians or firefighters. He said identifications could not be carried out until at least tomorrow.

At least 100 homes have been destroyed as nine major blazes burnt out of control across Victoria in the worst fire conditions in the state's history.

Anyone concerned about family or friends in affected areas should call the CFA on 1800 727 077.

Do you know more? Contact us at 9292 2963. Send your photos to tandyc@heraldsun.com.au

One man, aged in his 40s, is in critical condition after suffering burns to 50 per cent of his body when he tried to move stock in the Coleraine area in the state's west. He was being airlifted to the Alfred Hospital.

More than 3000 firefighters and many more residents battled major fronts at Horsham, Coleraine, Weerite, Kilmore East, Bunyip, Churchill, Dargo, Murrindindi and Redesdale in all corners of the scorched state as the searing heat in the mid 40s and high winds exceeded authorities' predictions of the worst fire conditions in the state's history.

The Kilmore region in the north and several areas of Gippsland in the east were on high alert as an uneasy dusk fell on Saturday night, while the Horsham fire was downgraded early in the evening.

Fifty houses were reportedly lost in the Bendigo area in the Redesdale blaze and up to 30 houses went up in the Kilmore fire which pushed across Whittlesea and into the town of Kinglake, northwest of Melbourne, which one resident said had gone up in flames.

"The whole township is pretty much on fire," Peter Mitchell told ABC Radio.

"There was was no time to do anything ... it came through in minutes.

"There'll be a massive loss of houses ... There'll be a lot of us homeless.

"All those who have made it into town will be fine. The others will be sheltering and working on their fire plans, God help them."

Mr Mitchell said he was with around 200 residents holed up in the local pub and that no fire trucks could get into the town.

Thousands more residents in the region were sheltering wherever they could find cover as they were warned the worst was to come overnight.

A cool change early this evening did not bring any respite but, in fact, was expected to create more volatile conditions.

"It hasn't helped the firefighters, only presented them with new fronts," the Country Fire Authority spokeswoman said.

The CFA and DSE (Department of Sustainability and Environment) warned Victorians to prepare to be hit by fire late tonight and to be especially prepared for ember attack.

"You should assume that as the wind change comes through, that your property could be impacted," CFA State Coordinator Geoff Conway said.

Latrobe Valley power stations were under threat as a fire on the eastern fringes of the Strzelecki Ranges spread toward the Gippsland coast, threatening towns such as Yarram, Langsbrough and Manns Beach.

"It is pretty well every part of the state except the far northwest," CFA Deputy Chief Fire Officer John Haynes said.

The Horsham fire burnt 5700 hectares and claimed at least three homes, the town's golf club and several sheds.

The Bunyip State Park reached 2400 hectares, and one at Kilmore burned 2000 hectares.

CFA deputy chief fire officer John Haynes said it would be about midnight, after the cool change had swept across the state, before fire fighters knew whether they had got on top of the blazes.

"Our guys have been flat out trying to fight the fires and trying to pin them down a bit," Mr Haynes said.

"The fire weather ... was extreme and off the scale."

By 6pm, at least one house was destroyed at Coleraine in Victoria's west, in Melbourne's southeast three homes were destroyed at Lyndbrook; and north of Melbourne six houses were destroyed at Wandong and one at Whittlesea.

Homes were also lost in Labertouche, near the Bunyip State Park east of Melbourne.

"There will be more to come," Mr Haynes said.

Julie Venrooy said from Shady Creek, east of Melbourne, said she had been forced to stay on the Princes Highway south of Tonimbuk by police, unable to return to her home.

"I've been able to contact my husband once. He's had ember attack, that was about an hour ago but I don't know what's happened since," Ms Venrooy said.

Victoria Premier John Brumby said one fire threatening his parents' home in Coleraine was stopped literally on their doorstep.

"I would like to thank DSE, CFA and SES (State Emergency Services) fire fighters and volunteers who have fought tirelessly throughout the day to protect Victorian people and property," Mr Brumby said.

The fires came as Melbourne reached its hottest ever temperature of 46.4 degrees, while nearby Avalon recorded the state's high of 47.9.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sexy Welsh Aussie Bird

I so agree, I cant even begin to imagine how you would cope in a situation like this ! God Bless all who are in the middle of this terrible disaster, my thoughts are with you all.

Sian xxx

Guest mandisfam
Hi guys

Well just want to say my thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is out there tonight still fighting these fires and to all the people who have been affected. I don't think many places have been spared. 3 homes were lost in the next suburb to us and I know some of our members have been advised to leave their homes. If there is anything we can do for you just shout.:notworthy:

Well said moving2melbourne. Its made UK news this morning too.

Mandisfam

Omg I've only just heard this terrible news...how can anybody be so callous to deliberately start a fire that is obviously going to cause such devastation to his/her country and the people that love Australia.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Victoria and the brave firefighters who have to push themselves the limits just because of some mindless dimwit..

LISAX

Guest juliemtaylor

Desperately sorry for all those affected, hoping those responsible suffer the same...

Thoughts and prayers from all of us in UK.

Julie x

Guest proud2beaussie
Can you tell me is Healesville Victoria been affected.

I'm so sorry for anyone cought up in this disaster.

We are thinking of you all.

X John

There is a small fire 4km's south east of Healesville which is being brought under control as I write.nothing too major to worry about ,ESSEX TO AUS.

Guest donovan

Hiya my husbands aunt & uncle live up in the dandenong mountains, luckily they are away, we heard from them yesterday to say they were both ok, but the last they heard was that they fire was 7k away from their house and that they wind was blowing the fire in the direction of their house, they will find out today when they get back to see if they have lost their house. Totally tragic for all concerned.

Sarah x

Guest WARDStoOZ
Hiya my husbands aunt & uncle live up in the dandenong mountains, luckily they are away, we heard from them yesterday to say they were both ok, but the last they heard was that they fire was 7k away from their house and that they wind was blowing the fire in the direction of their house, they will find out today when they get back to see if they have lost their house. Totally tragic for all concerned.

Sarah x

I really hope and pray that their house is okay, I can't believe how tragic this must be for people,

Dan xx

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Sarah,

I know I speak for everyone in saying we all hope and pray that everything turns out OK for your husbands family.hopefully the fire will have missed their house.

Our thoughts are with you.

N'OZ

Guest donovan
I really hope and pray that their house is okay, I can't believe how tragic this must be for people,

Dan xx

Thanks Dan, your alway there for support mate

Sarah x

Guest donovan
Hi Sarah,

I know I speak for everyone in saying we all hope and pray that everything turns out OK for your husbands family.hopefully the fire will have missed their house.

Our thoughts are with you.

N'OZ

Thanks Nigel, we will hopefully hear more within the next few days, so will keep you all updated

Sarah x

Guest The Pom Queen

Sarah x

Sarah

I am so sorry, have they heard anything yet, there are so many houses and people lost that its hard for them to keep count. Whereabouts in the Dandenongs do they live?

As you probably know I volunteered with the CFA (before getting health problems) and the lads and lasses who I worked with said it was the worst fires they have seen.

It's times like this when you realise how thankful we are to the CFA voluteers. Imagine if they all turned round and said they didn't want to work tonight as they had a special dinner, the state would burn!!!!! These volunteers should be PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I know for a fact they wouldn't want the money as they love helping and caring for their country. But please everyone can you dig deep and donate money to the CFA to help them care for us in times like this!!!!

It's raining here now thankfully:notworthy:

Sarah

I am so sorry, have they heard anything yet, there are so many houses and people lost that its hard for them to keep count. Whereabouts in the Dandenongs do they live?

As you probably know I volunteered with the CFA (before getting health problems) and the lads and lasses who I worked with said it was the worst fires they have seen.

It's times like this when you realise how thankful we are to the CFA voluteers. Imagine if they all turned round and said they didn't want to work tonight as they had a special dinner, the state would burn!!!!! These volunteers should be PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I know for a fact they wouldn't want the money as they love helping and caring for their country. But please everyone can you dig deep and donate money to the CFA to help them care for us in times like this!!!!

Well said M2M. I dont think a lot of folk realize that our Rural Fire Service and SES are manned by volunteers. Thank goodness that they do volunteer and may we hope that new migrants will also consider volunteering with some organization or another to support the community like that. What I am sure the volunteers would like is not to be penalized if they have to take time off work to attend an emergency like this! (That happens more often than we would like to think!)

The destruction of so many beautiful townships is hard enough but the loss of life is horrible, we have experienced this sort of thing before as a community we should be so much better prepared.

Guest donovan
Sarah

Hiya Kate

Thank you, it is such a terrible time for you all especially those that have been affected, I am not sure where my husbands aunt and uncle live i think it is cockatoo,but don't quote me on that until if find out if i am right, they just phoned us yesterday to let us know that thankfully they are safe, the fire last they heard was as I say 7k from their house with the wind blowing it that way, we will hopefully hear from them in the next few days.

Has cockatoo been affected?

Sarah x

Hiya Kate

Thank you, it is such a terrible time for you all especially those that have been affected, I am not sure where my husbands aunt and uncle live i think it is cockatoo,but don't quote me on that until if find out if i am right, they just phoned us yesterday to let us know that thankfully they are safe, the fire last they heard was as I say 7k from their house with the wind blowing it that way, we will hopefully hear from them in the next few days.

Has cockatoo been affected?

Sarah x

Looks like Cockatoo is in the middle at the moment so not affected http://sentinel2.ga.gov.au/Sentinel/imf.jsp

Archived