In a pickle

Guest Celtic.H.

Guest kevin747
13 days to go, what before you leave for the uk? you lucky thing. I can't convince my hubby to go back so looks like i'm taking the kids back on my own. R u shipping everything back? I want to take my car back, as I think it will be more cost effective, any ideas?

Good luck with your move.

Yes we're shipping the lot back.I have a good time but it's not for me. Too backward in too many ways.

Guest Perth Princess
See, its not just me who goes on about the rain in Oz....:biglaugh:

I've been in perth for 4 months and I can't remember what rain looks like!

Guest Perth Princess
Thank god, someone that agrees with me! Apart from missing everyone and every thing back at home, the kids education has to be a priority, and here they are soooooooo far behind. My kids are definitely not spending another year in this god forsaken country!

I know the sun shines every day, almost, but i'm over it!!

I love Australia but the education really worries me. My 7 year old who is supposed to be in the best state primary school in Perth has spent the day colouring and watching a movie:arghh: Her UK school was infinitely superior.

Guest lovediving

I know exactly what you are going through, it is not easy and quite confusing when you are trying to reach a decision. I really think that you should follow your heart as you seem to be someone that can make it anywhere.

If it was not for the recession I would of gone back to the UK two months ago but I am waiting to see what is best to do myself.

I have been doing the pros and cons list too and to be honest all the main things that come up are pros but when it comes to my feelings for the country there are definately cons when it comes to Australia.

Whatever happens I wish you all the best and really hope that you are happy no matter where you are.

Cheers Everyone for your replies it has really helped.

I think at the moment it is affecting me more and I'm the bloke, I should be tough. Although my wife thinks about it she has just started a new well paid job and that is concentrating her mind. I have decided to do a couple of courses in the evening, one in autocad and another in tax file preparation, at least it will give me some thing to concentrate on. Yes if I could wave a wand I would be back in a shot, but I try to think why we came. I think what spurned us was having our daughter 2 years ago, I guess I looked at the social decline of the UK, but to be honest that is everywhere and it certainly is just the same here, house prices were a big factor, jobs. My wife has a good job and I do a great job of looking after my daughter, the trouble is there is still some little niggle in the back of my mind that says I must be the bread winner and my OH should have the joy of the child. But this isn't 30 years ago. Are there many stay at home dads out there, you feel a right pratt sometimes going to groups etc when you feel like the spare cock at the party.

We are going to give it another 6 months, I need some careers advice to look at what I have done and where I go. If we are still not sure then we will stay and give it bit longer, we have decided if we are ambivolant about it then it is better to stay rather than go back and regret it.

Either way I need to retrain, I have 25 years left to work and I don't want to spend it wondering what to do. Better to take even 4-5 years out to retrain and I will still have 20 years left to work. Uni courses are really bloody expensive here and that puts me off, Uk uni is far cheaper in comparison.

My little daughter has also just been asked to join a modelling agency so who knows maybe I could be her manager.

You are all very kind, I am in the Kardinya/Bull Creek region SOR.

Anyone a careers advisor?

Guest lovediving
Yes we're shipping the lot back.I have a good time but it's not for me. Too backward in too many ways.

Good on you, best of luck with it all.

Guest lovediving

Think you need to be careful with the car as it could be complicated with different emmissions etc, I have recently gone through a similar thing with a potential move to NZ and it is very complicated and expensive.

Unless it is a unique car, it might not be worth it, if it is very expensive you may be liable to import tax.

13 days to go, what before you leave for the uk? you lucky thing. I can't convince my hubby to go back so looks like i'm taking the kids back on my own. R u shipping everything back? I want to take my car back, as I think it will be more cost effective, any ideas?

Good luck with your move.

Guest Celtic.H.

Well we have come to a decision,

After a long walk along one of Perths beautiful beaches in a relaxed non-judgemental way, we have decided to return to the UK. We made a pro's and cons list such as:

Education: poor here and better options for my 2 year old daughter and myself (I have decided to look into primary teaching but no way would it be here)

Jobs: My wife's career as a mental health nurse would be better served in the UK and there are jobs for her.

Houses: larger here but not well built, plus our dream was to buy acres here and grow veg and keep chickens, looked good on real estate websites, but grass over sand, grass wins, the bush is ugly.

Lifestyle: it may have style (in places) but if your heart aint here wheres the life.

Cost: having dome a price comparison on the web: for Perth anyway: food is dearer, electricals are dearer, fuel is cheaper, running a car is dearer, cars are dearer etc.

We have enjoyed our time to a degree and are going to treat the next few months as a working holiday, see a bit more. But it just doesn't tick our boxes. We have a friend who comes from Manchester and lived in a tower block, it is going to be paradise for her. We come from the southwest of England, and I think our maiin drive was house prices, the chance to buy some land, daughter could have a horse etc, but it isnt the same in reality. Hopefully we can get jobs and in a few years house prices will be back to where they should be.

All the best to all.

Guest kevin747
Well we have come to a decision,

After a long walk along one of Perths beautiful beaches in a relaxed non-judgemental way, we have decided to return to the UK. We made a pro's and cons list such as:

Education: poor here and better options for my 2 year old daughter and myself (I have decided to look into primary teaching but no way would it be here)

Jobs: My wife's career as a mental health nurse would be better served in the UK and there are jobs for her.

Houses: larger here but not well built, plus our dream was to buy acres here and grow veg and keep chickens, looked good on real estate websites, but grass over sand, grass wins, the bush is ugly.

Lifestyle: it may have style (in places) but if your heart aint here wheres the life.

Cost: having dome a price comparison on the web: for Perth anyway: food is dearer, electricals are dearer, fuel is cheaper, running a car is dearer, cars are dearer etc.

We have enjoyed our time to a degree and are going to treat the next few months as a working holiday, see a bit more. But it just doesn't tick our boxes. We have a friend who comes from Manchester and lived in a tower block, it is going to be paradise for her. We come from the southwest of England, and I think our maiin drive was house prices, the chance to buy some land, daughter could have a horse etc, but it isnt the same in reality. Hopefully we can get jobs and in a few years house prices will be back to where they should be.

All the best to all.

Best wishes with your return.I bet it is not as pretty as Carbis Bay

Guest Celtic.H.
Best wishes with your return.I bet it is not as pretty as Carbis Bay

Don't get me feeling emotion again,

Carbis, Looe, padstow, witsands. Bude, we had it on our doorstep and gave it up. We will certainly despite the recession make the most of what we left behind.

Cheers

• 3 years later...

Archived