Guest charl

Anyone out there?

New the site - came across it in our search for info on emigrating. Anyway we're really excited about the prospect of moving to Australia but have loads of questions at this early stage. Please - can anyone help us.

My husband and I are both primary school teachers (me 12 years, him 3 years). We would be looking for him to work full time initially with me possibly getting part time work once we are settled. Our questions are:

• What sort of salary could my husband expect?
  • How much tax etc do you pay ie How much can we expect to live off?
  • What are the hours like - is teaching more relaxed? Husband currently leaves home at 7.30 am returns around 6 pm and then does an hour or two marking/assessment/prep etc. Works all day Saturday preparing for the next week and often much of the holiday. Please tell me it's better in Oz.
  • How difficult is it to secure a job? - we aren't set on any particular area yet but would like to live somewhere coastal and within a couple of hours drive of one of the main metro areas.

Hope there's someone who can help - Any info on teaching in Australia gladly appreciated. Also have 2 sons (7 and 2) who will be needing good schools!

Hi there

I am new to the site and a primary teacher also. I am currently looking at registering to teach in new south wales their site is www.det.nsw.edu.au. Other states have their own sites. I know that you need to register before you can teach and you need various documents to do that and then in new south wales you have to complete a program which is 2 weeks of workshop and in school experience. There are various dates for these listed on the website. Not sure about your other questions would like to know the answers though!! especially on workload as I returned to work full time after having my baby and was working like you said your husband does and found it impossible. I lasted a term and have now gone part time - skint but happy and get to see my son.

Tina:cute:

Guest chris_mac
Anyone out there?

New the site - came across it in our search for info on emigrating. Anyway we're really excited about the prospect of moving to Australia but have loads of questions at this early stage. Please - can anyone help us.

My husband and I are both primary school teachers (me 12 years, him 3 years). We would be looking for him to work full time initially with me possibly getting part time work once we are settled. Our questions are:

• What are the hours like - is teaching more relaxed? Husband currently leaves home at 7.30 am returns around 6 pm and then does an hour or two marking/assessment/prep etc. Works all day Saturday preparing for the next week and often much of the holiday. Please tell me it's better in Oz.

• How difficult is it to secure a job? - we aren't set on any particular area yet but would like to live somewhere coastal and within a couple of hours drive of one of the main metro areas.

Hope there's someone who can help - Any info on teaching in Australia gladly appreciated. Also have 2 sons (7 and 2) who will be needing good schools!

Hi Charl

Welcome to Poms In Oz, this site is a wealth of information and support.. I dont know much about the teaching system but i can point you to these links:

Salaries:

Teacher Salaries - Australia (World of Education)

Tax:

How much tax will you pay?

Interesting page with links:

Teaching Career in Australia

Sorry i cant help with the Hours but i would assume that depends on whether he works full time, part time, over time etc...

Best of luck with your plans.

Best wishes

Chris

Anyone out there?

Re the hours - some teachers are 9 - 3 (not the very good teachers!) and others work all sorts of hours in order to be well prepared, up to date with marking etc. All depending on the state there will be varying levels of school participation - committees, extracurricular commitment etc. I'd say if someone was dedicated enough to do the hours in UK they will be doing the same in Aus.

All depending on your area of specialization it can be anything from walk straight into a job through to maybe get permanency after 10 years casual relief. Unfortunately every man and his dog want positions in nice coastal areas within a couple of hours drive from the major metropolitan areas. You are more likely to get a job if you say you want to go to Dubbo or Hay or Echuca or any of the other regional areas - no beaches and a significant cultural adjustment.

Ah, reading again, I see you are both primary teachers - same deal except there are more primary trained teachers out there looking for jobs than there are HS teachers. Male PS teachers probably have a better shot because they are seen as desirable role models for young lads.

If you are prepared to compromise the sort of places you would be prepared to go to then you will have a better chance of getting your foot in the door.

Guest North of perth

We did research before coming over, and your more likely to get permanent work for Primary teachers in Western Australia state and Victoria state.

Currently in Western Australia.

J

Archived