Approval and teaching jobs with NSW Education Department

Guest boomerangpommie

Guest boomerangpommie

Does anyone have any experience of secondary teaching in NSW high schools? I know that you initially have to do a load of paperwork to get approval - I've been through that and wasn't given it and am so now doing further study which the NSW Ed Dept has said will be sufficient.

What I would like to know is what happens on the pre-employment induction course and then what happens next? I have heard that once you have approval to teach, you don't apply for a job at a school but have to go to whatever school you are sent to by the department and that could be far from where you live and usually not very pleasant - is this true? If so how do you get a job in a school you want to work in? Also I did apply for jobs when I was in Australia in private schools and lack of HSC experience was a recurrent problem - is this sorted out by doing pre-employment course? As far as wages go, do they take into consideration the years that you have been teaching and put you on the equivalent step on the pay scale?

I've also been told that with vacancies, Australians are usually given the jobs before migrants and also if there are to be job cuts, it's the migrants who go first, anyone know anything about that? One more thing, is the current economic climate affecting jobs in the public sector, such as teaching? Sorry for the bomardment of questions, we're planning to return to Oz at the end of the year to have another go at migration, after a pretty disastrous first attempt - largely caused by problems with my job.

At the moment NSW has a scheme where you basically get "sent" somewhere to do the hard yards so if you are in Sydney you could end up in Bankstown or some other horrible Western suburb to start off with - they would probably like to send you to some more regional area but if you have family and other job commitments then they would probably find you somewhere in the greater Sydney area. It mightnt be a bad idea to get placed out at Dubbo or Hay or one of the other regional areas actually, the schools probably wouldnt be as tough as some of the Sydney western suburbs. Once you have done your hardship posting then you can put your hat in the ring for a "nicer" school but bear in mind that you and everyone else wants to work in the "nice" schools and the competition is fierce. The government is trying to do away with that scheme but the unions are fighting it and I am not quite sure what stage it is up to.

Would they employ an Aussie ahead of a new migrant? They would of course always tell you that we value our diversity but, heck, yeah of course they would. There are vacancies for teachers but, equally, rumour has it that as the economy goes bung, a lot of people who trained as teachers and went off to more profitable industries are now returning to teaching because it offers a recession proof option - also women who may have stopped working are returning to the teaching workforce if the finances look precarious in their families.

I dont think as a secondary teacher (especially if you are in Maths, Science or Special Ed) you will have a problem getting a job, but it may not be the job that you want.

Yes your previous experience will put you up the pay scale - you have to provide evidence of how long you have been working and it should be easy enough to do.

• 2 weeks later...
That doesnt sound too positive! So if I have interpreted this correctly, once you have done the induction 10 days (or something) you could then get placed any where within NSW as a NSW state registered teacher? Or am I wrong?

Cheers

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

You ask very valid questions and unfortunately I have none of the answers but to say that we are/will be in the same boat.

My skills are currently being assessed (accountant/financial advisor) and we hope to make the full application next month.

My OH is a secondary teacher of Spanish & English and she would certainly want to or maybe need to do some teaching in Oz. I was really hoping that once we got the visa, she could do the induction and then teach close to where ever we live....but based on your posts and the replies this does not seem to be the case.

Is this the same in all states or just NSW?

thanks

Karl

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kev, Kaz & Ellie

It's not all that bad! Yes you do have to apply through a central Department of Education for jobs rather than individual schools - but you don't have to teach in any area that you don't want to.

When you fill in your application with the Dep for Education they will ask you what areas you are willing to teach in. You can name anywhere (but trust me you'll be sent to the outback if you put this!) or you can name particular areas or you can even just name particular schools if you wish.

Obviously the more places/schools you list the better your chances of securing a job. You have to do your research and find out which areas have the better job prospects. The coastal areas eg Wollongong tend to have less jobs than south and western suburbs.

By the way the western suburbs are not that bad! I've taught in an inner city school in Bristol for the past 5 years and this makes schools in the Western suburbs look like Eton!

When I was teaching in Australia I worked with many "migrants" and they never seemed to have a problem finding work - again the more flexible you can be with areas the better.

By the way you generally have an induction/probation year similar to the NQT year although you may be able to have this waived if you can prove your previous experience meets the standards.

Hope this helps- but if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

• 4 years later...

Archived