are there any bricklaying jobs left due to recession

hogan

:arghh: hi queensland, really want to come to gold coast, just waiting for visa's to come back, but getting really worried oh will not be able to find work when we get there because of recession, he is a bricklayer but can do other things too like plastering, tiling etc, hearing that there is no work is getting a little worrying and dont no what to do, any advise!!:skeptical:

Guest tony byrne

hi there i am currently on the gold coast at the moment and i to am looking on moving out here when my visa is approved. i have been looking around at bricklaying jobs myself for the last five weeks as thats my trade. every one i have spoken to has said the same thing "there is no work at the moment" havnt even noticed any adverts in the paper either

Guest kazmatt
:arghh: hi queensland, really want to come to gold coast, just waiting for visa's to come back, but getting really worried oh will not be able to find work when we get there because of recession, he is a bricklayer but can do other things too like plastering, tiling etc, hearing that there is no work is getting a little worrying and dont no what to do, any advise!!:skeptical:

i dont wish to be the bearer of bad news but brickie jobs seem to be few and far between at the moment, i am in jimboomba but all the work the i do is towards the city, we have just had a 21 year old lad come to work for us he was a brickies apprentice and had only six months left to complete his apprentiship, they laid him off and he is now labouring for us because his boss had no work, he was lucky to get a job with us, only our current labourer is a young lad from ireland and his years working visa is up so he is going back home. i know you say your husband can do a little plastering but it is totally different out here i was a fully qualified plasterer and renderer working for myself in the u.k. but i found it difficult swapping to to what they do over here, i just render now, this is different too, but pretty easy mentally but not physically esecially not in the heat, good luck.

he who laughs last laughs loudest.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bria the blue
i dont wish to be the bearer of bad news but brickie jobs seem to be few and far between at the moment, i am in jimboomba but all the work the i do is towards the city, we have just had a 21 year old lad come to work for us he was a brickies apprentice and had only six months left to complete his apprentiship, they laid him off and he is now labouring for us because his boss had no work, he was lucky to get a job with us, only our current labourer is a young lad from ireland and his years working visa is up so he is going back home. i know you say your husband can do a little plastering but it is totally different out here i was a fully qualified plasterer and renderer working for myself in the u.k. but i found it difficult swapping to to what they do over here, i just render now, this is different too, but pretty easy mentally but not physically esecially not in the heat, good luck.

he who laughs last laughs loudest.

]just read your reply about brickie jobs,coming out there myself soon,as im a plasterer what do you mean ,plastering is different out there?

Guest brooksey

It's been said a few times on pio, if you have a job in Uk then i would stay put until things get better. I am a Chippy and been looking for work for 4 months with no luck. Sorry but thats the way it is at the moment.

Guest kazmatt
]just read your reply about brickie jobs,coming out there myself soon,as im a plasterer what do you mean ,plastering is different out there?

hi buddy, for a start there is no skimming at all here, dont know if this is different in different states, but not in queensland, everything is dry lined, no dotting and dabbing, all the walls are stud work, plasterboards are up to 6 metres long and requires 3 to lift them onto ceilings otherwise they would snap, they are then taped and jointed using boxes not a trowel and handboard, a lot of plasterers from the u.k do what i do, skim coat rendering, its a bag render, that is applied thinly in two coats and rubbed up similar to sand and cement, but a lot more strenuous due to the speed you can apply it, its a good render, you sponge it too a finish, a lot of the skill is taken out of it, and i have heard of painting firms that do it, because it is so simple, good luck mate, work is scarce.

• 3 months later...
Guest pams

hi my son left sunny newcastle upon tyne lol on 9 2 09 age 22 and alone he is also a brickie but there is no work for brickies in brisbane, he has been around the building site,s and they all want residents only, he is willing to do any work he can to stay out there, it,s not just the brickie,s who r suffering it,s all types of jobs. good luck anyway. pam s

• 2 months later...

I am looking for some advice please. I have been a brick layer/plasterer for many years in the uk. I have done alot of work in stone masonery, barn conversions and plastering along with many other types of building type contruction works. I have qualifications in brick laying and I am looking for a direction I can take to be able to work and live in Australia. Can anyone give me some information on possible directions to follow as I know that the current climate is difficult at this time in the Australian market. Any information would be greatfully recieved. Thank you.

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Fluffy

The construction industry in Australia is really suffering at the moment due to the global downturn and I believe that it is very difficult to find work in many parts of Australia,some states are better than others though,I believe that the situation in Victoria is a little bit better than Queensland but I am not definiete about that,all I can do is suggest that you just keep looking.

I wish you good luck and hope that you find something soon.

Cheers

We haven't seen many licensed bricklayers advertising but will be looking for one soon to relay a retaining wall that is falling down. I plan on digging all the dirt out and cleaning up the bricks in the hope that they can be re-used then we'll be looking for a brickie. We want to re-use the bricks so that they keep on matching properly.

Our next door neighbour did manage to find a couple of blokes who were willing to work for $50 an hour on an extension. It seemed to suit them all, without such a good price he would not have been able to afford it and they wouldn't have earned anything. We also managed to find a very good joiner who has done a couple of small jobs for us at $60 per hour.

• 2 years later...

Hi hogan... We re from norfolk too !!!

We just got our permanent res visa s and moving to gold coast. My partners a painter/ decorator and wondering if there's much work there due to recession?

Aus isn't in a recession as such but the housing market has turned down, especialliy in SEQld and doubly so on the GC, heaps of property on the mkt and prices dropping like a rock, so why build?

I'm not in construction but sorry to say if I was the Gold Coast is the last place I'd be heading right now.

Guest Guest31881

This thread is dates 2009 and original question was answered 2 years ago. I will close this thread to avoid confusion, please feel free to start another thread and ask any questions you like about today's chances of getting work.

Archived