lift engineer jobs

tony_bezza

wanting to go out to Aus once i have passed out at NVQ level 3 in lift engineering. once i am a trained lift engineer with a years experience i want to emigrate with my girlfriend to Perth. Was wondering what my chances are and if i need to find a sponsor etc... I have heard that the lift industry in Aus is split into mechanical and electrical and was wondering if anybody on this forum knows how my nvq level 3 in lifts would stand up. Also how long do you have to be in Aus before you can apply for residency and then citizenship.

Guest Brissydeb

Hi Tony bezza, my hubbie (also a Tony & originally from Kent) and I have just got our 175visa. He is a staff engineer and he got his qualification by doing `the log books' (years ago).

We tried lots of lift companies in Perth and Brisbane for Sponsership but they don't seem to do this and like you to get your own visa. We got our visa quite quickly, only 8 months. But before that you have to have your skills assesed by the `TRA'. He got passed as a `Lift Mechanic'.

However, we want to go to Queensland so to fully work on lifts he will need a `Queensland Electrical Licence'. Which I think u can only get there once you are there! Perth also needs a licene. Where r u thinking about?

We went to OZ last May and visted 2 large lift companies and they are (at the moment) crying out for engineers but without the proper licence Tony could only part service the lifts. Which area are you in? He works for Kone in the service department and also does some repairs.

If you need any more info just pm me.

Thanks

I am still a trainee in lifts and doing my NVQ level 3. i am working in new installation and mods. i have prior experience but never had a qualification and after being in sydney for 2 years from 2004 to 2006 i decided i would go back home to get a trade. My girlfriend is training to be a teacher and will be a qualified teacher next year and i should be a qualified lift engineer. We are thinking about setting up home in Perth but we really arent sure how to go about getting sponsored. So do you think i would be able to get a visa my self by getting my skills assesed by the tra or do you need sponsorship. Once i am qualified in installations i could move to service or repairs as i am quite familiar with lift equipment. Congratulations on your visa by the way. What i am struggling to understand is how will i get a visa for work if i have to get my work assessed by the tra. its not a case of flying over on a holiday and soing it then is it and i have used my working holiday visa up.

thanks alot for your reply Deb much appreciated

Guest Brissydeb

Hi Tony, the visa process can seem a bit complicated at first but if you take it one step at a time it's not to bad. It's just lots of forms and previous paper work to gather together.

You might be lucky getting a sponsership, it can't help to try a few lift companies in Perth. But there are restrictions with that type of visa (not entirely sure). Have a look at the web site www.immi.gov.au, there's lots of good information on it.

We used an agent but to be honest it was a waste of money and all he did was tell us what forms we had to do next. We did all the work and as we had no complications he must of been rubbing his hands together.

A skilled 175visa works on a point basis (above web site explains all) and a lift mechanic is currently worth 60 points as it is on the list of jobs in demand (so is a teacher, I think).

There are lots of different types of visas I'm sure you can find one to suit you. Another good site is `gomatilda.com'.

We went to Perth last May (only 3 days though) but spent most of our time in Queensland and loved it.

What company do you work for? Good luck.

Deb.

Hi Tony, the visa process can seem a bit complicated at first but if you take it one step at a time it's not to bad. It's just lots of forms and previous paper work to gather together.

You might be lucky getting a sponsership, it can't help to try a few lift companies in Perth. But there are restrictions with that type of visa (not entirely sure). Have a look at the web site www.immi.gov.au, there's lots of good information on it.

We used an agent but to be honest it was a waste of money and all he did was tell us what forms we had to do next. We did all the work and as we had no complications he must of been rubbing his hands together.

A skilled 175visa works on a point basis (above web site explains all) and a lift mechanic is currently worth 60 points as it is on the list of jobs in demand (so is a teacher, I think).

There are lots of different types of visas I'm sure you can find one to suit you. Another good site is `gomatilda.com'.

We went to Perth last May (only 3 days though) but spent most of our time in Queensland and loved it.

Deb.

hi Deb,

i work for Schindler in london on mods but was on installation, i should finish my NVQ level 3 at the end of the year and then as far as i am concerned i want to get me and my girlfriend over to aus. Realistically we are looking at mid 2010 when we are both qualified in our fields (teaching) and (elevators). I have forwarded my c.v to schindler in aus (perth) but did say that i would be open to offers else where and in other departments. We were also looking into paying somebody to manage our whole visa application and advise us on what visa and what documentation to get etc...

Deb can you remember when your husband applied for his 175 visa and got 60 points for being a lift engineer did he have to have minimum 4 years experience. I think the only way that me and my girlfriend can get over to aus as both being newly qualified with not much experience is by getting sponsored but realy not to sure.

Thanks for your replies and your help we really do appreciate it

tony and emma

p.s congrats on your visa's

• 1 month later...
Guest gez09

Hi guys i just stumbled on your post.....The best thing to do is to actually look on the schindler intranet. At the moment they are really taking off and still kicking myself for not taking a job offer i had last year when i met up with them in sydney. I have found that your best chances of getting a job in oz is by turning up on their doorstep rather than calling them.

I am looking at starting my application as my occupation is still on the CSL.

I would also try the likes of KONE as they are the No1 Lift co in Oz.

Good luck

Guest gez09

Ahaaa he is a service engineer. I work up in London in the Major Projects Dept. He is lucky that he doesnt have to look after the double decker lifts we just put in at the broadgate tower..

I really dont see a problem with your boyfriend going to Australia and working for KONE. I knew someone that just rolled up on their doorstep and got a job as a service engineer and they covered all the visas etc. I know that KONE are having tough time trying to emplyee service engineers as i know one of the Australian directors very well. Most engineers would rather stick to fitting out there rather than servicing.

Its about time they done us a favour anyway as we employ enough of their guys in london. If its the gold coast/ surfers paradise you are looking for then tell him to go on the KONE internal labour market intranet page as they are looking for people. It may also be helpful if he speaks to HR in chertsey.

Hope this helps.

Guest Brissydeb

Hi Gerry, Oh u see Tony has done all the lift jobs, construction and installation (in London as that is were we are originally from) and now currently a staff engineer in Basingstoke and areas. What's your sistuation with the visa then, have u started it yet. We have ours and are `validating' this Oct but cant move yet as house price is to low.

Tony (hubbie) is worried about wages over there as until he gets his electrical ticket (which lift engineers need out there) he wont be paid much.

Do u mean that u know William in London office (he's from Oz and a manager there). Tony has spoken to him quite a bit.

We went over in May and went to Kone in Perth and Brisbane. Met a few guys there.

We want the Gold Coast so thought we might try Advance Lifts as they are based there. Tony has been with Kone for 20 years. It's a shame u can't just do a transfer.

Guest gez09

Well it depends what he wants to do. If he wants to do electrical then he will need his ticket. If i am not mistaken, every state has a its own ticket as well, unless he wants to fit guide rails and build lift cars all day long???

He can do a transfer with KONE Oz as long as he has the qualifications.

William is based in Clapham i think......I think i have met him.

Just gathering paperwork to begine the skilled migrant 176 visa so still have a fair while to go.

Just tell him to go on the KONE intranet in the office and have a look at the internal labour market pages. There is

• 2 years later...
Guest Kepplerusa

Deb.

Hey guys just wondering what you have decided to do, are you in Oz yet? I am still in the UK with full rights to reside in Oz but struggling with indecision...

Regards,

Dave

Guest Brissydeb
Hey guys just wondering what you have decided to do, are you in Oz yet? I am still in the UK with full rights to reside in Oz but struggling with indecision...

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave, we are stilll here!! But have the house up for sale and hope to go early next year. What about you, its a massive decision? What's your job?

Debx

Guest Kepplerusa

Yeah it's a massive decision alright! I managed to sell my house but didn't get near enough for it...sucks....I am a service lift technician working in the London area and very reluctant to work in Oz as you need some electricians license, which I don't have!

I plan to go at the end of next year, trying to save like mad, not easy though! So it looks like you guys are on your bicycle then?

Guest Brissydeb

yes that Electrical licence seems a right pain to obtain. I have been trying to looking into it. Were are you heading to? We are going to Gold Coast area.

My hubbie works for Kone as a staff engineer. What co. are you working for? My bro also is in lifts and is a tester for Schindler in London.

Debx

Guest Kepplerusa

I plan on heading for Brisbane but that really depends on job vacancies....not sure about exhibition as might be working, are you guys going? I work for Liftec Lifts at the moment but am an Otis engineer by heart, sounds sad I know...I have however done troubleshooting on just about everything so I am not afraid of new challenges. Good to see that your family is involved in the lift game, it's a unique trade. I will let you know if I get any info regarding that electricians license...it's a pain...

Guest Brissydeb

Yes we are going to London exbo. Tony's uncle is a supervisor in London for Otis (pete wells) and his dad worked for them as well. When u got your visa did you get passed as a Lift Engineer or Electrician? Tony got passed by the TRA as a Lift Engineer (as advised by migration agnet) but wish we had tried for Electrician as to start the process for electrical licence you need ARTC as Electrician. I think you can only get this once in OZ.

Have u been to OZ yet?

Guest Kepplerusa

I got my visa as a lift engineer and this whole electrician thing is very annoying as I have worked in South Africa, Florida USA and the UK quite successfully without frying myself or others in fact....I hear that most trades people abadon their trades upon arrival because of the red tape, so why grant this visa to us if we clearly still aren't allowed to do our job when we arrive? Surely the TRA should include this electrician licence requirement in the application process and at least show us where to get this test completed in the UK....

Went to Oz in Dec '09 and ever bit but I am very concerned about the pay structure over there as my question is this: "will I be living the dream or watching every penny?"

Guest Brissydeb

Yes we r also worried about the money but we have to `watch every penny' here and we both work. So we are quite prepared to do the same in OZ. We believe that if you want things in life u have to work for them and work hard (and hubbie does long hours to).

Guest Kepplerusa
Yes we r also worried about the money but we have to `watch every penny' here and we both work. So we are quite prepared to do the same in OZ. We believe that if you want things in life u have to work for them and work hard (and hubbie does long hours to).

I suppose having lived in other parts of the world I have experienced different versions of watching one's pennies i.e. Watching one's pennies in South Africa is matter of hey it's the last week of the month and I don't know how I'm getting to work....The UK has been good to me, hard at times but good as a whole; there's always been overtime available, afforded the odd holiday etc...When you hear whispers of high costs in food and clothing etc...then just how hard and long will I have to work to have an enjoyable life(you can't eat the sun!)

• 9 years later...